3 4 5
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/26/22 7:57 p.m.

We've made a lot of noise about fake sounds- I actually see the virtue (and potential) in this. 

The one we've totally skipped over is exhaust pipes. Exhaust pipes??  Why???

That one seems entirely inexplicable and ridiculous to me. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/26/22 8:49 p.m.
SV reX said:

We've made a lot of noise about fake sounds- I actually see the virtue (and potential) in this. 

The one we've totally skipped over is exhaust pipes. Exhaust pipes??  Why???

That one seems entirely inexplicable and ridiculous to me. 

It sounds like they are actually exhausting air through an exit in the rear of the vehicle (seen in the center of the bottom edge of the rear bumper):

Extreme close up:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/2022-Dodge-Charger-Daytona-SRT-eMuscle-EV-_18.jpg

It's design is patent pending, so I can't find any specific images or info. There's a chance that it serves some functional purpose I suppose (like ducting battery cooling air out of the vehicle or reducing drag or something) but it might also just be a way to amplify the noises they want this thing to make. During the unveiling, the CEO of Dodge made a point to mention that being loud and sounding aggressive were very important to the Dodge brand and it was prioritized in designing this car.

"The Fast Lane’s Andre Smirnov was able to see the new Charger concept in person. He reports that the only evidence of the Fratzonic exhaust system was a trumpet below the Charger’s brakelights, almost the entire width of the car. It looks similar to an exhaust exit, but it is attached to a sound-making chamber in the car.

Smirnov questioned the team at Dodge about how the Fratzonic chambered exhaust system works. He learned that it actually pushes air out of the “exhaust” trumpet to carry the vehicles performance sounds. These sounds vary depending on throttle position, car speed, and several other inputs from the vehicle’s computer."

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/27/22 2:59 p.m.
te72 said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Compared to Zepplin, yes. Daft Punk isn't bad, but I don't think people are still gonna listen to them in 50+ years. In 2070, people will probably still be rocking Led Zepplin II.

I'll still be listening to Daft Punk in 50 years if I am still above the ground. Tbh I listen to more Daft Punk then Led Zepplin. I like both but a lot of Led Zepplin is soooo overplayed

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/28/22 8:22 a.m.
te72 said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Compared to Zepplin, yes. Daft Punk isn't bad, but I don't think people are still gonna listen to them in 50+ years. In 2070, people will probably still be rocking Led Zepplin II.

A nonzero number of people still listen to Kraftwerk (they are still touring and releasing albums!), and I would classify Daft Punk as the Kraftwerk of the next generation.

On commercially successful albums such as Autobahn (1974), Trans-Europe Express (1977), The Man-Machine (1978), and Computer World (1981), Kraftwerk developed a self-described "robot pop" style that combined electronic music with pop melodies, sparse arrangements, and repetitive rhythms, while adopting a stylized image including matching suits

I am not disagreeing with you re: various popularities, but this is an interesting parallel.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
8/28/22 9:49 a.m.

So it simulates shifting, but no real gearbox?  Does it have a fake clutch pedal and shifter?  Does it simulate a properly done heel and tow downshift and jerk if not done smoothly?  Does it make grinding noises if you shift without the clutch and don't do it right?  Or is it just another version of stick on woodgrain on the side of the car?

te72
te72 HalfDork
9/1/22 10:27 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
te72 said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I'll still be listening to Daft Punk in 50 years if I am still above the ground. Tbh I listen to more Daft Punk then Led Zepplin. I like both but a lot of Led Zepplin is soooo overplayed

That's fair. Zepplin does get a lot of airplay, still, but I don't listen to radio around here. I guess the point I was trying to make was that I'm not really big on songs that drag on without really going anywhere. I have nothing at all against electronic music, have been listening to it for nearly 30 years, but if someone else is more likely to sample your songs than cover them, well... it's probably not something I'm going to be into. Daft Punk was just the first example to come to mind after I've recently listened to a couple of their albums.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xsdg3ZTNcZtX7I7ow0oht52THElRQPJrGIHHb910XUVk4RexWG3CBOmNGOdBygVr