1 2 3
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/27/22 4:56 p.m.
dculberson said:

Let me guess, "Words will never hurt me?" No, words have power and thankfully we've finally begun to realize that as a society. Frankly I'd just hit the delete user button if I saw that post and had that power.

Thought about it, but this discussion and the effect of seeing it voted into oblivion will hopefully inspire change in a way that wouldn't.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/28/22 11:40 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:
dculberson said:

Let me guess, "Words will never hurt me?" No, words have power and thankfully we've finally begun to realize that as a society. Frankly I'd just hit the delete user button if I saw that post and had that power.

Thought about it, but this discussion and the effect of seeing it voted into oblivion will hopefully inspire change in a way that wouldn't.

I'm sure this will get downvoted but the usuals, but I disagree.

I don't see where censoring, cancelling, deleting or wishing grave bodily harm up to and including death on everyone you disagree with is making the world a better place.  In fact I disagree to the point I think this is a path to irreparable harm.  The end consequences of this path are ultimately very uncivil and completely avoidable.  It seems the desire for control of every word and thought is more important to many though.  Good luck in that endeavor.  

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/28/22 11:58 a.m.

Personally I like the electric noises. I hear cars go up and down the street near my wife's store all the time. The newer electrics catch my attention as mush as the ICE cars do.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/28/22 12:05 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

People can say what they want. But they have to own the consequences. You can be a homophobic ass at someone's party, but the host can also ask you to leave because you're being a homophobic ass and you're spoiling the party. Eventually, you might realize that being a homophobic ass is not beneficial if you want to go to certain parties. So you modify your behavior. Or you can decide to keep being a homophobic ass and accept that you won't be going to certain parties anymore. Margie is hoping for the first.

That's not control. That's consequences. 

iansane
iansane Dork
10/28/22 12:14 p.m.

I know you've said you've been verbally accosted on this site before but I don't think that's not what this is, maybe I'm wrong though. To me this just seems like the admins are saying, 'Hey, the rest of the people on this forum think that comment was a little much. Can you chill?' I'd hope you or anyone here can disagree with anyone else around here with resorting to unsettling comments.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/28/22 12:45 p.m.

Now, back to regularily scheduled programing....

I know many of us may see Block's stunts as old hat.  But... for some 12 year old seeing one for the first time it could be an introduction to a life long passion.

I might have been to road races 100s of times in my lifetime, but when I take the grandkids for the first time it is eye-opening to them.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/28/22 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

Funny you said that. My 11 year old sends me Ken Block vids all the time because he thinks they're so cool.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/28/22 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

So along that line, what are people's favorite Block videos? I think mine is probably this old one because it just looks like a lot of fun and wasn't over-staged. Also, we learn that cars fly further than snowboarders with the same ramp and speed :)

dps214
dps214 Dork
10/28/22 1:05 p.m.

We'd need some more information, but if that 4400ft-lbs is being applied directly to the wheels at a 1:1 ratio, it's really not all that much. Of course if there's any amount of gear reduction in there then it does become quite a bit pretty quickly. I'd guess the tire destruction is more the immediate application of full torque, combined with being able to spin all the way up to top speed with probably not much of a torque dropoff as speeds increase, very unlike an ICE drivetrain.

10/28/22 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I don't think anyone was scared of anything, so phobia isn't an issue.  This hyperbole is exactly the kind of talk that is dangerous.  And the comment was about a car and a hypothetical person not an actual named individual.  Poor taste and actual harm are very different things.  No one can control taste or should attempt to.  

I wasn't bothered by this persons comments.  I was fine ignoring it.  The typical over reaction isn't surprising though.  

This place is great when cars are the topic.  When it goes off topic it turns into a cesspool of only one side's talking points.  The funny thing is going full extreme on either side leads to the same disastrous endpoint.  You don't have to be that endpoint.  

The only phobia I see here is free speech phobia.  That's the real fear.  Someone might say something you disagree with, oh the horror!  

If we can't disagree then open and honest discussion doesn't exist, and I'm not going to pretend it does no matter how much anyone says it.  

10/28/22 2:52 p.m.
iansane said:

I know you've said you've been verbally accosted on this site before but I don't think that's not what this is, maybe I'm wrong though. To me this just seems like the admins are saying, 'Hey, the rest of the people on this forum think that comment was a little much. Can you chill?' I'd hope you or anyone here can disagree with anyone else around here with resorting to unsettling comments.

Can I chill?  Define chill?  Maybe your wrong?  Maybe I'm wrong too?  Maybe everyone is wrong sometimes. That's kind of the point.  

I've actually had death wished on me in horrific fashion for disagreeing with someone here.  Were they wrong?  I've never done that to anyone anywhere nor would I.

I am perfectly okay admitting I'm not nice all the time.  At least Im not faking it though and then congratulating others for being rude too. 

So yah I still disagree.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/28/22 3:41 p.m.

Despite the fact that homophobia includes the word "phobia", it's not defined strictly as a fear of homosexuals. The post was referring to homosexuals in a derogatory manner, which fits in the actual definition. It doesn't have to be an attack on an individual, and it wasn't really about a car. It was intended as a slur, and that is not generally accepted by society and certainly not by our hosts.

Homophobes are free to use homophobic speech if they want, but the people who own this message board are also free to choose not to allow it on their board because those freedoms go both ways. And note that the post was hidden due to a majority vote on the part of the forum users, using the thumbs up/down voting system. That's not a phobia of free speech, that's a "we don't accept derogatory slurs" choice. The only person who overreacted was the original poster who didn't like that their homophobic views were not appreciated. Margie was quite polite in her response.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
10/28/22 3:53 p.m.

The sounds don't do it for me, sounds like something from Power Rangers or a SyFy original. I'm not going to say they're terrible, they certainly float someones boat and young folks will certainly learn to associate it in a positive way with power and coolness. Not going to be much choice on that, any hydrogen noises will be muffled like a Ninja 300. Anywho, I think the noises are pretty meh, I'd be inclined to say silly but it comes down to just not being a sound I perceive as desirable. 

Now I can retire to the patio and pontificate on the reality of free speech vs the fantasy of forced audiences and "censoring". If I walked into someones house I'm free to talk smack about them, their momma, their kids, and their dog but I don't get to cry foul if they ask me to leave. Especially since the right to free speech does not protect from individual consequences, like being kicked out of a house for asinine behavior. Then again, maybe I'm being inconsiderate of sensitive feelings when I disagree with people. Really makes a guy/gal think, doesn't it?

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/28/22 3:55 p.m.

Wait..we aren't discussing hooning electric Audis?

Marjorie Suddard
10/28/22 3:56 p.m.

I don't think you're wrong. I disagree that the slur was an appropriate thing to say, but yeah I have had some crap come out of my mouth/fingers that doesn't represent who I am or who I want to be. There are other times when people don't realize what they've said can be hurtful. That's when there is an opportunity for discussion and education about someone else's worldview.

I don't pretend to be nice; I am a work in progress who more often fails and lives with that regret. And yes, I think your point is correct: Leaping on people like wild dogs is not the way to make them nice. And it is not nice in itself. 

I know I will be crucified for any kind of kumbahyah post here, but yes, my goal is to have us all get along. Even the people who are wrong! (That last is a joke, I swear.)  Anthony may think this place is best when we talk about cars, but I have learned a lot from this forum. Glad for the learning, even if some of the lessons were painful ones.

Margie

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/28/22 4:09 p.m.

The comment above about homosexuality may not literally a phobia but its anti-gay. If someone was browsing the internet looking at post about Ken Block and came across this forum. They see that post and the rest of the forum members encouraging or ignoring what was said, that person may be turned off from further exploring the GRM forum because of unchecked/supported hate speech. That is the opposite of what we want. Content should bring in fresh members to join and add support for GRM. This isn't anti free-speech, your Constitutional rights are not being violated. Hate speech does violate civil rights though. You may be okay with or support hate speech or possibly you're un-phased by hate speech; but, a lot of us are not okay with it and some of us are hurt and offended by it. It's crazy that this has to be explained to you, a grown man in 2022. But, I'm suspecting that it doesn't have to be explaining to you and you like to stir the pot just to get people riled up. 

Either way, I have an issue with you finding poor grammar more unsettling than hate speech. But, I'll further keep that issue to myself.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/28/22 4:52 p.m.
Error404 said:

The sounds don't do it for me, sounds like something from Power Rangers or a SyFy original. I'm not going to say they're terrible, they certainly float someones boat and young folks will certainly learn to associate it in a positive way with power and coolness. Not going to be much choice on that, any hydrogen noises will be muffled like a Ninja 300. Anywho, I think the noises are pretty meh, I'd be inclined to say silly but it comes down to just not being a sound I perceive as desirable. 

The first F1 race I went to was Austin 2014. That was the first year of the hybrids, when a bunch of people were wound up about the cars not making the correct noise (ie, the noise they made the year before, nothing to do with noises they may have made years earlier). It wasn't a shriek that would cause hearing damage, but a collection of different sounds from different systems. I thought it was fascinating, you could hear all sorts of other high energy sounds coming out of the cars as they harvested and deployed. The actual ICE noises from that year were not very good ones either. 

Cars like that and this Audi are from the realm of science fiction a couple of decades ago, so I guess I don't mind if they sound like it. I do think that high power EVs are best heard in person, as there's almost a staticky feel to the sound that gets lost in recordings.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/28/22 4:55 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I would not personally classify it as hate speech, just a really bad/offkey attempt at humor.  As a friend would put it, goes over like a fart in church.  (I have had friends/family who had good coming-out experiences and awful ones...)

In that light, the grammatical fail is more distressing but also kind of expected.smiley

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/28/22 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

The sound does bring me back to SyFy movies and that's why I like it so much

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/28/22 6:00 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I did find the misuse of homonyms your and you're to be unsettling though.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) also said:

Can I chill?  Define chill?  Maybe your wrong?

Classic.

Marjorie Suddard
10/28/22 6:17 p.m.

Okay, guys, I am going to close this because it's starting to repeat itself in a not great way. Thanks all for the honest thoughts and discussion.

Margie

1 2 3

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
Hc81PrXMvvIiaKqFeuzSDIj0GGNRAwsdVtHqBpqIFDOYhdwmCZ8VM7lhzWJUOVkw