Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/25/21 1:08 p.m.
feature_image

What’s the most ambitious project you’ve ever undertaken? How about designing and building a V8 engine based on the Honda K24 from scratch?

A passion project of Craig Williams, the engine–dubbed the K48–is still in its design phase, a few features stand out so far: 5.0…

Read the rest of the story

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/25/21 1:16 p.m.

I had a dream about this with two F20Cs last night. No joke.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/25/21 1:16 p.m.

Whats driving the decision to put the exhaust side toward the center of the V and the intake outboard?

asphalt_gundam
asphalt_gundam Reader
10/25/21 1:22 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Significantly reduced turbo lag and I believe heat management as well (one area vs 2). The Ford 6.7 Diesel is the same way for those reasons.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
10/25/21 1:24 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Hot V's are great for turbskis.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/25/21 1:44 p.m.
iansane said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

I've studied Hot V's for decades, never thought about turbocahrging them.  Hmmmm

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/25/21 2:07 p.m.

Not to mention a pair of turbos poking through the hood like an old-school supercharger would look awesome.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/25/21 2:14 p.m.

There is prior art here in motorcycle engines. IIRC about the only thing that gets retained are the heads. Very good heads, of course, but it's a pretty significant undertaking. The names that come to mind are RST in the UK and Hartley in the US. I did a bit of work on an RST V8 once.

Some details on the original H1: https://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1564765.htm 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
10/25/21 2:24 p.m.

I've thought about different ways of making this work many times before, and would love to know what solution they came up with for driving the valvetrain on the reversed head. Assuming no balance shafts, I'm also curious what the 2nd order shaking transmissibility into the chassis will be with typical LS engine mounts, since it will be 41.4% stronger than that of the (balance shaft equipped) 2.4L I4 it's based on.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
10/25/21 2:30 p.m.
iansane said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

If I remember right, there's ford Flathead guys who've done that to get around the difficulties the 3-port exhaust imposes.

The Valkyrie engine from Aston Martin is also a hot V. Honestly I think all the newest- and probably last- V-shaped gas engines coming out are hot Vs, partially because it lets you cool the exhaust temps right away before they form NOx.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
10/25/21 2:36 p.m.

The modern day Audi turbo v8s are all hot v's. Along with the 7.3 powerstroke and 6.6 dirtymax. I don't know about newer diesels.

This K48 seems like a crazy cool undertaking. I would love to hear what it sounds like at full trot.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/26/21 1:46 a.m.

Looked but did not find the intended stroke.
Since he is already buying expensive parts it has to be a known number.
FP V8 wants a short stroke, no more than 3" for longer life and "Acceptable" vibration.
Wish I had the money he is burning!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/26/21 5:35 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

There is prior art here in motorcycle engines. IIRC about the only thing that gets retained are the heads. Very good heads, of course, but it's a pretty significant undertaking. The names that come to mind are RST in the UK and Hartley in the US. I did a bit of work on an RST V8 once.

Some details on the original H1: https://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1564765.htm 

There was a guy in western Europe (Foucault? something) who was making his own 3- and 4-bank engines with motorcycle heads.  They have a form of motorsports that, without being able to understand French, looks kind of like rallysprints with the chassis and drivetrain unlimited as long as it uses a 2 liter naturally aspirated engine.  And so, he built a three bank 12 cylinder with the parts for three 600cc engines, and later a four bank 16 cylinder using the heads from four 600s and a bore/stroke to get him right under the 2000cc limit.  Apparently it made a hair over 400hp and sounded.... I can't use the word "amazing", but it was definitely unique.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/26/21 7:08 a.m.

Didn't Honda do this in Indy car or formula 1. Or  is my memory wrong?  

Ok back from some google searching and this is what a v8 would look like if Honda built one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Indy_V8_engine

Edit: and they did one for F1. Seen here

From here

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
10/26/21 5:43 p.m.

The 2012 and up BMW F10 Chassis V8s are all a hot V turbo configuration (M5 included), it does make for a very short exhaust path.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/26/21 7:57 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
If I remember right, there's ford Flathead guys who've done that to get around the difficulties the 3-port exhaust imposes.

Bruce Crower did it to a small block Chevy in '70 or so for the Indy 500.

Except, he bored new intake ports on the OUTSIDE, kept the original exhaust ports, and made big looping headers to go into the V to feed a single turbocharger, which was mounted over the distributor.

So turbo and distributor ate the same space, outside of engine had exhaust ports and intake manifolds AND the spark plugs.  It looks like an exercise in how not to do space management smiley

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
10/26/21 9:13 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M2KwMawbGuQVahCzTqrfkVAowifHfSRjZSJOYBXOhJS4Crah3mCYMIhSf7SxPf0P