Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/24/21 2:53 p.m.

I have a 2010 VW Golf that was my daily driver, its gearbox was going and I had an appointment to have it replaced the next week, unfortunately that weekend the timing chain also jumped and damaged the engine. So I'm looking at a $3k repair for the gearbox and also $4k repair to re-do the top portion of the engine (engine could be further damage, in that case I'd need a new engine and more $$). The value of the car running is about $8k - $9k running, I don't have the time or patience right now to do the work. So I'm thinking it's time to scrap the car?

preach (fs)
preach (fs) HalfDork
5/24/21 2:55 p.m.

Time to go.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/24/21 2:59 p.m.

I think so..

bugger.. oh well, I didn't have much skin in the car anyways.

Exciting part is I'm taking a delivery on this next Tuesday, hybrid corolla hatch to commute in.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/24/21 3:24 p.m.

Be glad it jumped before the tranny swap cause then your in deep and gotta invest the $4000.  

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/24/21 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Coldsnap :

What engine is it?  The VW.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
5/24/21 3:50 p.m.

Why not get a "drop out" unit? Engine and trans still bolted together.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
5/24/21 3:57 p.m.

Guessing he does not want to take it on himself.  Most of the motor dropouts are reasonable but require time and the right resources to handle the job.  You may be able to recoop some cash by parting it out depending on desirability of model etc.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/24/21 4:35 p.m.

$9k seems like a big financial hit. Wow. I'd be contemplating some sort of insurance fraud.  Flooding? devil

I'd probably list the car on CL/FB as is. $2k might be possible from someone who is capable of doing the full swap and who would then sell it for the $9k.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/24/21 4:40 p.m.

Yea, right now I'm starting my career in another country and working about 60 hours a week. I'm enjoying it. But it leaves about zero time for wrenching. I also have zero tools and a garage at the moment. Before I came over here, I sold my Volvo 240 and put all my tools inside of it and gave it to the buyer.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/24/21 4:51 p.m.

I don't know those cars that well but I would price out a good used engin and trans combo and see what your local indipendant shop would want to swap the entire lump as an assembly.   It may be less than you initial trans quote.  The key is what the good used assembly would cost. 

But barring that it probably makes sense to move on to another ride. 

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/24/21 4:58 p.m.

Yea, we are taking a delivery on this Tuesday and probably just want to move on... first time I'll drive a new car. I usually buy junk cars and fix them up, haha.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
5/24/21 5:09 p.m.

I would say try to sell it vs scrap because you can probably get more money, but for sure not worth paying someone to fix it.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
5/24/21 6:06 p.m.

If the body on yours is nice , I would put it up for sale for $2500-$3500 for someone who wants to fix if with junkyard parts or has a crashed/rusty VW.

Some buddy doing the work themselves will have a nice car after they fix it .....and be in it at half of retail.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/24/21 6:58 p.m.

Oof. That’s rough. 

These questions always fascinate me.

How much did you buy it for? Since you’re already buying a new car, it’s probably time to sell it. Don’t scrap it though, some VW perv might buy it for a grand or two

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/24/21 7:21 p.m.

Sounds like challenge fodder to me. 

Junkyard K24 swapped Golf time. 

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/24/21 7:37 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Oof. That’s rough. 

These questions always fascinate me.

How much did you buy it for? Since you’re already buying a new car, it’s probably time to sell it. Don’t scrap it though, some VW perv might buy it for a grand or two

It was purchased new for $38k NZD ten years ago, then passed onto me last year. Myself, I would have never bought a VW.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/24/21 7:49 p.m.

I look at it as, what is the cost to REPLACE it?

'Cause right now, it's worth about the fuel in the tank and the change in the ashtray... 

If you can buy what you want for less, or a reasonably acceptable amount more, then yeah, walk away.

If used car prices are as insane there as they are here, it makes sense to repair, because you're not buying anything for $9k that isn't old and/or busted.

Will
Will UltraDork
5/25/21 7:57 a.m.

Can you get a better car for the price of the repair or less? If so, replace it. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
5/25/21 8:09 a.m.

LS4 swap it!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/25/21 8:26 a.m.
Will said:

Can you get a better car for the price of the repair or less? If so, replace it. 

I was thinking about this.  Let's pretend the $7k repair cost is real and the car and stack of Canadian moon money go into the shop and a few weeks later the car comes back all fixed up.  What $7k CAD car would be as nice or better, generalizing, than this car is at this hypothetical point post-repair?  If the car has been a big headache, always busted, lemon situation then part/scrap/etc and run makes sense.  If it's been pretty great and is in otherwise excellent condition, does it make sense to still plan on part/scrap/etc and run?

I have a Suzuki SX4 in the shop right now getting suspension looked over for the source of a clunk (or two or three) from the front suspension.  143k miles, overall pretty good condition save for one small spot of rust at a real wheel arch, it's probably worth... $3k USD?  What could I get that is better for $3k?  I'm talking normal deals not limited edition GRM borg style that don't really work if you don't have tools and a shop to buy low and enjoy a deal.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
5/25/21 11:27 a.m.

Along the lines of what dean1484 said - In my area you would be looking at around $1k for the engine and transmission from the wreckers. I have to think you can find a cheap shop to swap it in and so you can sell it for a typical price.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pjwyPLml562Ij5zf4OP5K1QMjnIB5FkgzugiwUmnGke73i5SiyLoRAQ0JMWmuICe