1 2 3 4
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/9/14 5:54 p.m.

In reply to confuZion3:

I'm referring more to manuals, utes, coupes, 3dr hatches, roll up windows, diesels, lightness, normal colors, that sort of thing. Also, something comparable to a CJ-2.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
4/9/14 6:00 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Why do I have to suffer through the dealer buying experience? If I know what I want and am willing to pay for it, why do I still have to stand in the same room with sales people who try to convince me that dealer 'installed' nitrogen in the tires is worth $75 on top of the sticker price?

A variation on that question: What are you doing to improve the customer experience for buyers of your non-luxury, non-premium brands? I am thinking about the sales process and service after the sale.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/9/14 6:02 p.m.

Why is the push towards larger, heavier vehicles with all the safety geegaws and away from driver education?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/9/14 6:55 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: Is the answer really Miata?

Well, I am having dinner with our friends from Mazda….

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/9/14 6:55 p.m.

And these are some great questions. Please keep those cards and letters coming.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/9/14 7:16 p.m.

For Mazda specifically: Why didn't you put a V6 in the RX-8 and make it an MX-8? Seriously, that vehicle would be perfect for me with a 6 cylinder engine.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/9/14 7:24 p.m.

Why the big push toward electrical geegaws that are out of date by the time they actually come to market? They HAVE to be aware that's gonna happen.

Why all the airbags but no real push to create a truly crash worthy passenger cell?

Why so many non recyclable (or at least not easily/safely recyclable) plastic parts?

Why are cars just getting heavier and heavier? Ford has taken an initiative with the aluminum cab F150, why haven't other manufacturers looked into this? For instance, seat frames are all steel. Steel = heavy. For that matter, so is plastic. (No, really. It is pretty heavy stuff.)

Isn't it about time to admit that front wheel drive is a cruel hoax perpetuated on the buying public? Seriously, are there plans to build more small/mid size RWD cars like the FRS and BRZ?

For Mazda specifically: please please PLEASE don't forget the rotary! Bring it back when things stabilize! (Maybe as an alternative engine for the MX5, that way they don't have to have two different platforms. Think of it like the 808/Mizer/RX3 days...) It is capable of so much more in the alternative fuels arena...

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
4/9/14 7:28 p.m.

Has there been any thought within the US industry to standardize emissions and safety requirements with the rest of the industrialized (mainly Europe and Japan) markets? If there was a push to align all of the major car markets with regards to emissions and safety, it would greatly reduce costs and as a side effect give US buyers more options.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
4/9/14 7:42 p.m.

Are you going to finish that?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
4/9/14 7:46 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Cone_Junkie wrote: Is the answer really Miata?
Well, I am having dinner with our friends from Mazda….

In that case, I have two questions:

Why can't you make a 4 seat sedan the approximate size of the last Mazda6 (or an RX8 stretched 8") that is manual trans and RWD so we aren't forced to buy over priced, questionably engineered, unreliable German junk?

Will a rotary ever get good enough MPG and emissions to release again?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
4/9/14 7:47 p.m.

Is there a reason new cars all look so similar? Our Fiat is as basic a car as you can buy but everyone comments on how different it looks. I would think there has to be a decent market of middle aged women who would buy a car just because it is cute or different.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Reader
4/9/14 7:51 p.m.

I don't have any questions, but I'd appreciate it if you could pass two bits along to the Mazda peeps.

1st). When the rx8 came out, I was a purist who declared that Mazda was killing the line by making a 4 door, 4 seat rotary powered sports car. After I drove one, I bought it in 2007, and it's been the only new car I've ever purchased. Today, I took my two kids to daycare, and then proceeded to enjoy the snot out of the back roads to the office. I was wrong, I'm sorry, don't listen to me :)

2nd). Please listen to me :) Why the "f" is the top level Mazda 6 not available in manual? It's the sexiest car to come out of an attainable brand in years, but I won't own one :(. And this is said by someone who currently owns 4 Mazdas..

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
4/9/14 7:57 p.m.

Does God drive a Ford or a Chevy?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
4/9/14 8:24 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: Does God drive a Ford or a Chevy?

Actually a Honda. In Acts 2:1 it says They were all in one accord.

calteg
calteg Reader
4/9/14 8:35 p.m.

The answer to an awful lot of these questions is: "legislation forces us to."

I would ask:

Given that rare earth metals are, well, rare, coupled with the projected massive increase in auto demand in developing countries, do you REALLY think that hybrid and electric vehicles are a sustainable long term solution?

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
4/9/14 9:02 p.m.

If you see GM tell them their step child AZTEK went wild and is trying to bang every mid/large size car out there and make some really ugly babies (ie. BMW 5 series GT, Honda Crosstour....) and they need to get it under control.

As for Mazda, what would stop you from not make a manual or any available option for all vehicles an easy option of the customer wants?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
4/9/14 9:12 p.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote: 2nd). Please listen to me :) Why the "f" is the top level Mazda 6 not available in manual? It's the sexiest car to come out of an attainable brand in years, but I won't own one :(. And this is said by someone who currently owns 4 Mazdas..

As long as we're ranting about the 6 - why no wagon in the US?

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/9/14 9:14 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to confuZion3: I'm referring more to manuals, utes, coupes, 3dr hatches, roll up windows, diesels, lightness, normal colors, that sort of thing.

That's what I'm referring to too. I think all of those cars are still available with manual transmissions, many were hatches, and the 370Z and the 2015 Mustang (just two examples) are both lighter than their predecessors.

Funny story: electric windows are often lighter than roll-ups.

Calteg made a good point though about legislation. Often, manufacturers have no choice but to add new things to cars, making them heavier in the process. But a lot of manufacturers are doing what they can to remove weight from other places. I believe many suspension components are being made of Aluminum, reducing unsprung weight of many sporty cars (BMW started making the switch 10 years ago). Ford is going to strip hundreds of pounds from the F-150 with Aluminum.

I'll admit, we are sadly about to see the demise of the manual transmission. And the colors that many manufacturers are offering just seem to be black, white, and then 10 shades of gray and silver. But that's what people want. Cars that shift themselves and the boringest shade of blah the manufacturer can spray on there.

(I hope this doesn't come across as "shooting you down". My intent is simply to offer praise to the cars and trucks that are still faithful to the enthusiast, even though many are just appliances anymore.)

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/9/14 9:19 p.m.
Wally wrote:

What are we going to do with you, Wally...

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
4/9/14 9:30 p.m.

When is your next wagon going into production?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/9/14 11:28 p.m.
Wally wrote:

Pure gold from the Reverend Wally.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/9/14 11:42 p.m.

I would ask them why we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
4/10/14 12:00 a.m.

Why do you only hire blind designers?

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD New Reader

Moar wagons plz!!,

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Seeing as its a widely established fact that people don't know what the hell they want, and will buy whatever you tell them to buy, why not cater to the enthusiasts?

This is exactly the question I would ask. Enthusiasts will bitch about things they don't like as publicly as possible. Joe Average is completely indifferent as long as it is comfortable and gets good fuel economy.

My other questions are: Who came up with the corporate grill and did you cast them into a pit of lions? When is the corporate grill going away?

If Audi: How is it working out for you to have all your cars so similarly designed that customers can't tell the difference between the sedans?

If Nissan: How much of a diet is the Z going on?

If Mazda: Any hope for a 50th Anniversary rotary powered car? Where's the diesel wagon 6 for the US? Any hope for a new slew of Mazdaspeed models?

On a non snarky note. Just in time production has reduced the cost and complexity for almost every industry. Why is the auto industry so resistant to embracing to this model? I understand wait time will factor in but to give the customer exactly what they want and lessen buyer frustration why not embrace that model?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iRCEeplRWq4GA8n3mUlJOWjCTkFIva18xbYRm57iYKFAPlEZYGBX6eM0SdyghPHd