1 2 3 4
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
4/10/14 1:48 a.m.

On a more serious note..

Why make a truck a luxury vehicle? Lots of folks just like all of us buy trucks to work them hard. I don't really need or want all the luxury doodads like an ass massager and a dvd player. Just give me a basic 1-ton with a hose-out interior, manual gearbox and balls-to-the-wall torque.

I watched the boss deal with an intermittant BCM which would stay on and drain the battery overnight. No-one needs a computer to control the power windows for crying out loud, especially in a pickup truck.

Also, why no performance diesels in small cars (I'm aware of the Volkswagens)?

chada75
chada75 New Reader
4/10/14 3:48 a.m.

This may be long winded. So bear with me.

1. Why in the world does GM have the Caprice Police special, The SS, and yet still have a FWD Impala? Why not have a RWD Impala?

2. Where are the Little Pickup up trucks?

3. Why worry about cutting cost building Small FWD autos instead of building more RWD autos so that young folks can hot rod said autos with big V-8s?

4. Why have a Chevy Volt look like a ball? Make it look like a 67-72 Nova?

5. Why not get with the NHRA and tell then to change up the Pro Stock class to make the cars actually look like a Showroom Stock Car. Run FI instead of the silly looking Air boxes.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
4/10/14 4:09 a.m.

i got to go for a low speed ride around the St Paul fairgrounds with the head of Corvette development in a brand new Z06 Vette during the Car Craft Nationals back in 2008.. i asked him why the car we were in had no mechanical way to open the doors to get out in the event that the car wound up in the ditch or something and had no power. the doors opened via push button and of course had power windows.. his answer was that they never thought of that...

so maybe ask them if they've thought of that yet?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/10/14 4:32 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: On a more serious note.. Why make a truck a luxury vehicle? Lots of folks just like all of us buy trucks to work them hard. I don't really need or want all the luxury doodads like an ass massager and a dvd player. Just give me a basic 1-ton with a hose-out interior, manual gearbox and balls-to-the-wall torque. I watched the boss deal with an intermittant BCM which would stay on and drain the battery overnight. No-one needs a computer to control the power windows for crying out loud, especially in a pickup truck.

CAFE makes it hard to sell 18ft long 300+hp 5000lb cars anymore. Ever notice how trucks started to drive like big Buicks, starting when big Buicks were discontinued?

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
4/10/14 7:06 a.m.

I would ask them why are European and Asian crash test standards lower than US standards?

If it is because of vehicle purchase choice, why can't we pressure them to use the same standard so cars sold in Europe can be sold here?

If we can pressure those markets to have a more global automotive marketplace, will you pressure legislatures to lessen car dealership laws so consumers can purchase Euro-spec vehicles online?

What is your biggest success in your automotive career?

Have you ever covered up an engineering problem, similar to GM covering up their recall?

Would you consider raising the base price of some vehicles to promote the sales of diesel powered vehicles?

When will you develop a sports car or sports sedan/coupe that has an option for a diesel engine?

What can you do to help make biodiesel and biodiesel mixtures more available to consumers?

Are you developing new hybrid and fully electric motors to be produced with no rare metals so in the near future, all new vehicles can be electrically powered?

Are you committed to start purchasing solar panels to power your facilities to eliminate the use of fossil fuels?

calteg
calteg Reader
4/10/14 7:54 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: i got to go for a low speed ride around the St Paul fairgrounds with the head of Corvette development in a brand new Z06 Vette during the Car Craft Nationals back in 2008.. i asked him why the car we were in had no mechanical way to open the doors to get out in the event that the car wound up in the ditch or something and had no power. the doors opened via push button and of course had power windows.. his answer was that they never thought of that... so maybe ask them if they've thought of that yet?

Apparently the head of Corvette development didn't know Corvettes very well at that time. There is a pull tab on the left side of the hatch that mechanically opens the driver's door. Of course, it's incredibly difficult to get to from the driver's seat....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
4/10/14 8:10 a.m.

i would ask when or if we can get supper stripper models. think NO options. no radio. no AC. no nothing. sell em cheap, and not as a fleet vehicle. guys like me are looking for a cheap, easy to eork on car that gets good milage, good service life, and a limited amounbt fo stuff to break.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/10/14 8:13 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Why do I have to suffer through the dealer buying experience? If I know what I want and am willing to pay for it, why do I still have to stand in the same room with sales people who try to convince me that dealer 'installed' nitrogen in the tires is worth $75 on top of the sticker price?

Call your state representatives. Seriously. Nothing to do with the feds or the auto companies.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/10/14 8:16 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: I would ask them why are European and Asian crash test standards lower than US standards?

The auto execs would love harmonized standards, but I'd argue with you, the US tests, as I understand them, deal more with an unbelted occupant, which is stupid. It's like having to pass a crash test on flat tires with the hood open. The European ones are better, in my opinion.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/10/14 8:16 a.m.

I'd ask them why Nissan is the only full-line OEM with the testicles to introduce a real 50 state EV so far.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
4/10/14 10:13 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: With the advent of cars like the Porsche 918, McLaren P1 and Ferrari LaFerrari, how long do you expect it to be until we see a $30-$50K true high performance hybrid for the general public?

This. The Honda HPD CR-Z show car demonstrates what a missed opportunity the production car turned out to be.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
4/10/14 10:15 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I'd ask them why Nissan is the only full-line OEM with the testicles to introduce a real 50 state EV so far.

Indeed. My city is one of the hottest markets in the country for EVs, yet Chevy, Fiat, Honda, Mini, Smart, Toyota and VW don't even offer their EVs here. They're only interested in getting their 1,100 units out to customers for California compliance, and nothing more.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
4/10/14 10:32 a.m.

If you are talking to the folks at Mazda, ask them to speed up the development process on the next-gen Mazdaspeed 3. They are going to miss the boat.

I just read a report another automotive magazine published yesterday saying that the earliest we would see one is 2018. 2018!!! Right now, the new WRX/STI is out, the Ford ST cars are doing well, and VW is about to release a newer, better GTI. Honda might even actually bring over the ridiculous Civic Type R by then. Meanwhile, Mazda is not even offering a sport-oriented option with the regular 3's 2.5L motor (aka a manual transmission). Mazda has exactly ZERO lust-worthy cars in their lineup right now for a car company that supposedly gears themselves to the motorsport-oriented crowd.

You snooze, you lose, guys. Get on it!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
4/10/14 10:40 a.m.

Oh, and if you talk to the folks at Nissan, ask them when they lost their edge and what they are going to do to get it back. Aside from the Z and the GTR, they make nothing remotely sporty. Those cars are out of reach for the regular working schlub to buy.

The IDX is a step in the right direction, but are they going to saddle it with a lame CVT like they are doing with everything else in their lineup? After about 2003, I just don't trust them to build anything that's actually fun to drive other than the two cars previously mentioned.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad New Reader
4/10/14 10:43 a.m.

How long do you think it will be before self driving cars are the norm? (I like the idea of a self driving transport for interstate grinds)

Which alternative to gasoline do you see winning the new "format" war? (fuel cells make the most sense to me but what do I know)

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/10/14 11:11 a.m.

Ask them why they haven't done their part to curb the obesity epidemic. Having to push a clutch pedal and move a lever are at least a good way to burn off that reese's you just crammed down your throat.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/10/14 11:24 a.m.
yamaha wrote: Ask them why they haven't done their part to curb the obesity epidemic.

I fear that a majority of drivers actually like a hefty car. They are idiots.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
4/10/14 11:27 a.m.

If there was one law pertaining to cars that they could have overturned / removed what is it and why.

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo MegaDork
4/10/14 12:14 p.m.

My question for an automotive exec:

With the future fuel economy requirements extending into the strata, what is the reluctance to adapt a sub 1.0L diesel generator to the series hybrid system and develop a vehicle with an even greater range and flexibility for fuel source?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
4/10/14 12:15 p.m.

Ford:

Why do you offer a choice of 2 door or 4 door Focus/Fiesta in Europe but only 4 doors here? I see more of the previous body 2 doors than 4.

GM:

Why no 2 door Cruze? The 2 door Cobalt sold well. I see more of them than 4 doors.

Mazda:

Why no 2 door 3 or 6? 6 wagon?

To all:

Small (70's /80's size) pick up please!

LOWER THE BELT LINE AND COWL!! I CAN'T SEE OUT OF THE CAR!!

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
4/10/14 12:49 p.m.

GM:

GM recently announced a $449M investment in two Detroit area factories. One to build the next-generation Chevrolet Volt hybrid electric car and two unspecified new vehicles. The other a battery pack plant.

Given the less than stellar Volt sales how and why is GM anticipating a surge in next-gen. Volt and the new vehicle sales to justify this investment? Also, many claimed the Volt's high(er) price dissuaded customers, will there be a price drop for these models?

Will the next-gen have increased range?

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
4/10/14 12:57 p.m.

I would ask the execs at GM/Chevrolet why they never answered the letter that I sent them back when I was seven outlining the changes that I would have made to the (then current) 1959 Corvette?

I was in the hospital that year for more than two months due to compete renal failure and was REALLY looking forward to an answer . . . !

Oh, all of my cars are Fords or Ford powered.

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo MegaDork
4/10/14 1:00 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Oh, and if you talk to the folks at Nissan, ask them when they lost their edge and what they are going to do to get it back. Aside from the Z and the GTR, they make nothing remotely sporty. Those cars are out of reach for the regular working schlub to buy. The IDX is a step in the right direction, but are they going to saddle it with a lame CVT like they are doing with everything else in their lineup? After about 2003, I just don't trust them to build anything that's actually fun to drive other than the two cars previously mentioned.

I see vehicles three different ways:

Commuter transportation

Commercial transportation

Recreational transportation

Commuter transportation is what the average Tom, Dick or Harriet drives. It is a large safe efficient vanilla clad box that looks sportyish but is not in any shape a sporty car. Think sedans, SUVs, light pickups.

Commercial vehicles make up delivery, livery, safety and all the other vehicles that actually make a living. They give up a little in economy and generally make up a bit in volume. Think vans, large trucks, cabs, ambulances, heavy pickups.

Recreational vehicles account for very little of the market. They are the performance cars and trucks, specialty market vehicles and low production luxury vehicles.

We are an automotive enthusiast community. We appreciate the vehicles in the third group. The simple fact is we comprise a very small portion of money generated by automotive manufacturers and until we buy a new M3, GTR or Corvette every year we are going to have to accept 4 commuter 5 commercial and 1 recreational option from every brand.

skierd
skierd Dork
4/10/14 1:10 p.m.

I just want a pickup truck that can get an honest 30+mpg highway and 20+, preferably closer to 25, mpg city so that I can afford to drive it daily. At most it needs to be able to pull 5000 pounds (thinking two ATV's or two snowmachines on an open trailer plus gear), and yes 4wd or AWD. And keep it under $30k, preferably starting under $20k for the 4wd model. Gas, diesel, hybrid, I don't care what powers it or what kind of transmission it has.

I'm hoping the new Colorado/Canyon twins are close to it and sell like hot cakes...

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
4/10/14 1:23 p.m.

I would ask them if they follow all the suggestions from the forum do they think any GRMers will buy one of their cars new or wait until they are 10 years old?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MbekC5t8Ah5b96O6Ti9rYOdd3np93rLNuzvDrU5AcUoo0PWSbe52MucRPUxBvv3G