1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/9/14 3:40 p.m.

Seriously, what would you ask them? Looks like I'll have some one-on-one time with several auto executives during next week's New York auto show, and I'd love to have some questions from the floor.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/9/14 3:54 p.m.

What kind of cars do you stiffs really want for yourselves when we are off the record and you can drop the marketing bull?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/9/14 3:54 p.m.

With the ever improving efficiency and drivability of automatic and automated manual transmission, do you think true three pedal cars will still be available in 10 years’ time?

Why do you think American auto buys expect to walk in off the street and drive home a new car the same day, while a far far higher percentage of European buyers spec out and order the exact car they want? And do you think this has a net effect on the type of cars being sold here, i.e. are people buying options that are easily available rather than what they really want?

With the advent of cars like the Porsche 918, McLaren P1 and Ferrari LaFerrari, how long do you expect it to be until we see a $30-$50K true high performance hybrid for the general public?

What is the biggest regret of your automotive Carrere?

Do you see the health care costs in this country as a negative to producing vehicles here?

What do you think of California’s 2018 zero emission mandate and how will you meet it? Who do you think is doing the best job in zero emissions vehicles today?

Given that Tesla are really a carbon credit trading company that happens to sell a few cars, what do you see as the future business model for zero emissions vehicles and what is the long term going to bring in the plug in electric Vs. Hydrogen fuel cell market.

4/9/14 3:55 p.m.

Really?

4/9/14 3:55 p.m.

REALLY?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/9/14 3:59 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: REALLY?

IS that for me? YEs, hell yes.

HEre's another one.

Win on Sunday sell on Monday was certainly a valid reason for manufacturers being involved in Motorsport 40-50 years ago. With the necessary technology restrictions in all forms of Motorsport what do you see as the future for automakers involvement in racing of all kinds. With the exception of 'gentlemen' and certain production based classes, is there any real benifit in sports like WRC, F1, Nascar, sports Prototypes or are they just for brand recognition?

Enyar
Enyar Dork
4/9/14 4:00 p.m.

Why you no has more diesel?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/9/14 4:03 p.m.

Is it possible to prevent legislators from making uninformed automotive engineering decisions?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/9/14 4:04 p.m.

Adrian hitting with the heavy questions. Color me impressed.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
4/9/14 4:04 p.m.

Where has all the love and passion gone?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/9/14 4:07 p.m.

Do you actually care about cars, or do they just represent a salable commodity to you?

4/9/14 4:07 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: REALLY?
IS that for me? YEs, hell yes.

No. That was my actual follow-up question to my other question. You just bumped in to the middle of my multi-post interview.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
4/9/14 4:08 p.m.

Every year more luxury and infotainment features trickle farther down the market, into vehicles whose profit margins are already razor thin. How do you plan to keep customers buying the cars where the real money is to be made when the top models really don't offer that much more than the models below them?

How real is the China threat?

What's your biggest frustration?

Lately there seems to be a move to sell a niche model for each and every market segment (looking at you, BMW). 'Too many models on too many platforms' is blamed for sinking carmakers profits in the 90's - what's different this time?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/9/14 4:08 p.m.

Ask them, "What Car?"
3 car seats, 4x4 with autocross potential that can get 30+ mpg for a 6ft tall driver that is not a minivan, not a hybrid and not Korean with a 5,000lb tow rating.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/9/14 4:14 p.m.

Do you see small pickup trucks coming back to the market?

What plans do you have to address lackluster interest in cars by the millenial car buying group?

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
4/9/14 4:17 p.m.

Is the answer really Miata?

4/9/14 4:20 p.m.

Ask:

"Are you involved in the conspiracy?"

Follow anything they say with:

"Understood" while simultaneously placing your finger along side your nose and nodding slightly. Maybe give a wink.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
4/9/14 4:26 p.m.

Seriously, are we getting the GTD in the US or not?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/9/14 4:31 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: Is the answer really Miata?

Only if the interview is with someone not affiliated with Mazda and they have to prove it with examples.

I know most of the answers here, I want to ask them one question.

Why have you allowed the accounts to override what the car people and the population tell you they want? IF you get those accountants to tally up the loss of sales vs how much they saved you, after volume discounts you will see the accountants' decisions are costing you money. Why do you continue to listen to them?

I believe I know the answer to this one too.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
4/9/14 4:36 p.m.

What do you have against making cars that Clarkson might define as a "hot hatch?" (Might not work with Ford)

If you could only own one vehicle for the rest of your life, and it had to come from your current product line, what would it be?

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/9/14 4:40 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: ...If you could only own one vehicle for the rest of your life, and it had to come from your current product line, what would it be?

Bill Ford once replied to that question: (paraphrasing) A red Mustang with red leather interior. I think this is why they had such a car in 2005. Of course, he also answered that question buy building the Ford GT...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/9/14 4:49 p.m.

Seeing as its a widely established fact that people don't know what the hell they want, and will buy whatever you tell them to buy, why not cater to the enthusiasts?

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/9/14 4:55 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Seeing as its a widely established fact that people don't know what the hell they want, and will buy whatever you tell them to buy, why not cater to the enthusiasts?

Don't they all have something for some body of enthusiasts? Ford's got the Mustang, and it's going to get even better. GM has the Corvette and it's within the grasp of a huge number of average Americans. Chrysler built the Viper just to show the world it still can, and brought the 500 Abarth to those who can't have the Viper. Mazda still makes the Miata as pure as it has ever been, Ford's got the Focus and Fiesta hatchbacks, Toyota and Subaru have the ~$20,000 Toyobaru, VW/Audi have small hatchbacks that we can all reasonably attain. Nissan has the 370Z and GT-R.

We live in the best automotive era since the 1960s.

I guess I don't have any questions, David, but you can tell them that.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
4/9/14 5:00 p.m.

Why can I buy a Versa or Mirage for $14k but a small pickup with half the airbags and other junk is twice as much?

Wh do I have to order $1500 worth of packages to get the one $200 thing I actually want?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/9/14 5:10 p.m.

Why do I have to suffer through the dealer buying experience? If I know what I want and am willing to pay for it, why do I still have to stand in the same room with sales people who try to convince me that dealer 'installed' nitrogen in the tires is worth $75 on top of the sticker price?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cSWMgyYJl58iCaPYWSfdMaCVDfvMvxUqDB2qj16uPktwGGYtgzaZI6irZgp2UcWt