1 2
Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
4/22/11 12:54 p.m.

I've got my old beater Prizm up for sale. It runs and drives, for someone who wouldn't mind putting some elbow grease into it, it'd make a fine point A to point B car.

If nobody buys it, I could take it to a u-pull it yard. Local one offered me $400 (or maybe it was $350). May do that if all else fails. But the thought keeps crossing my mind...

I probably won't do this, 'cause I don't want to pass up a sure $400. But damn...here's an opportunity to take a car and do anything I want to it... just for fun. I really have almost nothing to lose. I don't mean drop a big motor in or anything like that. I mean something crazy...take a sledge hammer to it, paint it, burn it, whatever.

So if you had a car that someone said "Go nuts"...what would you do?

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
4/22/11 12:59 p.m.

Gut it, turbocharge it, and go racing!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/22/11 1:01 p.m.

I really want to build a ramp and learn to drive a car on two wheels.

keethrax
keethrax Reader
4/22/11 1:04 p.m.

Rallycross it till it dies then junk it and get some of that $400 back.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
4/22/11 1:11 p.m.
keethrax wrote: Rallycross it till it dies then junk it and get some of that $400 back.

This. Paint flames on it first. Seriously.

pres589
pres589 Dork
4/22/11 1:12 p.m.

1973 Ford Capri w/ 1.9TDi & five speed manual trans.

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
4/22/11 1:26 p.m.
mndsm wrote:

Paint flames on it first. Seriously.

If I beat on the car that hard, I probably wouldn't need to paint the flames on, they'd show up all on their own.

Not too many places around here to race, I don't know if there's a rallycross anywhere near me....

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
4/22/11 1:30 p.m.

Lemons.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
4/22/11 1:43 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMTHwjy6Z8

keethrax
keethrax Reader
4/22/11 1:43 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Not too many places around here to race, I don't know if there's a rallycross anywhere near me....

BABE Rally?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/22/11 1:44 p.m.

Flames, pink wheels, plaid hood, wooden roof rack. Basically... make the most awful "trendy" car you can possibly make to make fun of the new-age car "hipsters." (Herrafrush guys, i'm looking at you.)

Then take it to Import Alliance.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
4/22/11 1:49 p.m.

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
4/22/11 1:55 p.m.

I don't live that far from Carlisle. I suppose I could "trick it out" my way and bring it to the Import show...

That's actually some impressive woodworking right there...

Zomby woof wrote:
mr2peak
mr2peak Reader
4/22/11 1:59 p.m.

I second rally cross if you already own safety gear. Going backpacking for 2 weeks on $400 is also an option...

Fill sand and paint that body kit and no one would know...

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
4/22/11 2:01 p.m.

I've told of this car before, but I have no digital pics. It was an 81 Camaro. I did it up in primer grey, then did polka dots in red blue yellow and green. I then painted the left shoe yellow (over and over) and the right show blue (over and over) and walked from the tip of the hood to the decklid, making racing stripes. It was awesome. The cutest girl in school told me she liked it. Then we...

Walked to our respective cars and went to our separate houses.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
4/22/11 2:01 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUqWb6hyTU&feature=fvwrel

imirk
imirk Reader
4/22/11 2:14 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: Fill sand and paint that body kit and no one would know...

call it carbon fiber ..

corytate
corytate Reader
4/22/11 2:26 p.m.

make it aesthetically ridiculous, gut it, one seat, fake human skull as a hood ornament, FLAMES and STRIPES at the same time, subframe from another fwd car so you can put some fwd motor and trans behind the seat

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/22/11 2:29 p.m.

Saw Sawzall the top off and get creative with the paint.

I had a 78 Nova POS while in college. We took the roof off, and painted "At Least it's not a Ford" on the side. Really pissed Mustang drivers off!

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
4/22/11 2:29 p.m.

Hack the top off, take the trunk lid off and call it a convertible El Primino.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
4/22/11 2:35 p.m.

For additional lulz- stick the biggest springs you can in it, so the car sits like a foot higher than it should. Then flip the wheels so that they stick waaaay out, paint em some ridiculous color, and you have yourself a ghetto donk!

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
4/22/11 2:40 p.m.

Remove the fenders, doors, bumpers and deck lid and go all "Apocolyptic Mustang from the Bridgestone commercial"

paul
paul Reader
4/22/11 2:44 p.m.

two ideas:

1) nitrous; follow these guy's lead (still one of my fave car-related articles ever): http://www.aces.edu/~parmega/articles/neon/ "We slipped in the killer 150HP jets. Is this sick, or what? We more than doubled the stock HP output! Jeeez! 13.82 @ 102mph. The motor took first gear launches at 2000RPM with cylinder pressures that should have shot the plugs through the hood, and exhaust gas temps that were slightly hotter than the surface of the sun.

2) or, fit the largest (used) r-comps you can on it, go autocrossing, hurt egos.

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
4/22/11 3:03 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Remove the fenders, doors, bumpers and deck lid and go all "Apocolyptic Mustang from the Bridgestone commercial"

Uhhh...if it'll get that chick into the car with me....done and DONE!!! Just need to add the nitrous to be able to run away from the wife....

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/22/11 3:06 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: I've got my old beater Prizm up for sale. It runs and drives, for someone who wouldn't mind putting some elbow grease into it, it'd make a fine point A to point B car. If nobody buys it, I could take it to a u-pull it yard. Local one offered me $400 (or maybe it was $350). May do that if all else fails. But the thought keeps crossing my mind... I probably won't do this, 'cause I don't want to pass up a sure $400. But damn...here's an opportunity to take a car and do anything I want to it... just for fun. I really have almost nothing to lose. I don't mean drop a big motor in or anything like that. I mean something crazy...take a sledge hammer to it, paint it, burn it, whatever. So if you had a car that someone said "Go nuts"...what would you do?

Lemons, chump car... or just jump it over something. Give it a good death.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AL2Q0PdqouzJiTpDfRmqva9U6XQqUOyPkduaL9fIyNKLMMjtvpeBpEPiP0jtQ28G