Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/18/16 6:55 a.m.

My coworker bought an '02 WRX finally to join me in autocross shenanigans, after hearing my adventures over the past year or two. He let me take it for a spin after work last week, kinda stancy but overall it's fun. He's ditching the stretched tires and wheels for something more conservative, but one thing was it had coilovers.

Throwing it around a few curves at speed, this thing did not lean. Like at all. Got me thinking maybe it's time to upgrade the MR2. I thought about the Abarth but it's also a daily driver and to-from work is about 35min each way, plus trips, plus ... The Eibach sport-lines will do for now.

But the MR2...I bought dirt DIRT cheap. The only $ I've put into it was new wheels/tires and even then I think I spent maybe $500 or so. Oh, and a newer exhaust including high flow cat, still only a few hundred. So I'm maybe $2.5k into it so far. He put some generic JC Whitney springs he had laying around in it, not sure about the condition of the struts.

So now I'm curious. What brands/sellers should I check out?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/18/16 6:59 a.m.

Koni yellows with Ground Control sleeves, unless you want to spend close to what you already have into the car or find something used. Most of the cheaper options are for the guys who just want their cars LOW.

If you want to save some cash maybe substitute some cheaper sleeves instead of GC.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
8/18/16 6:59 a.m.

Following...

Caleb
Caleb Reader
8/18/16 7:08 a.m.

I had a custom sprung set of BC Racing coilovers on my aw11and they where fantastic. They don't have the aw11 in the American catalog when I ordered mine but it was listed in there euro catalog so I had to wait a few extra weeks for shipping.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
8/18/16 7:59 a.m.

I used Ground Control and Konis on my IT MR2 with much success. They can even help with spring rates depending on your intended use. Of course changing springs is a breeze too if you need to adjust, and they are inexpensive. For shocks, MR2s and Konis get along very well.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/18/16 8:02 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

I want "somelow" but not looking for any StanceNation cred. I want something lower than stock but definitely something that can corner effectively. I have to admit I know only the basics about coilovers so I figured this was the obvious place to learn.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/18/16 8:16 a.m.

Call up Ground Control and let them get you sorted.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/18/16 10:07 a.m.

Bosses aren't in today, quick Google search for Ground Control brings me to : Conversion for MR2 incl supercharged

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
8/18/16 2:58 p.m.

I wouldn't. After 14 MR2s and trying a lot of various combinations, I just wouldn't. I'd do Koni inserts and some H&R springs and call it good. 32-way adjustability x 4 wheels yields more possibilities to get it wrong than there are Sonic flavor combos.

BUT...If I would, it would be Ground Controls. I just got some for my BMW (I'm a slow learner,) and they're great. But I also now have a really good chassis guy to set them up, which I didn't have when I was playing with MR2s.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/18/16 3:03 p.m.

If you can, call Koni and talk to Lee Grimes. He probably knows some setup secrets, even if he is a Honda guy. Lee's been around the block.

NickD
NickD Dork
8/18/16 3:09 p.m.
Jerry wrote:

Nothing to add, but just curious, is your MR2 on Mugen M7s/Mugen M7 reps?

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
8/18/16 3:53 p.m.

Beware on the AW11 for coilovers. A lot of companies make coilovers for the MK1b but not the MK1a. If you have an 85,86, and some 87s most kits won't work.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
8/18/16 4:34 p.m.
Maniac0301 wrote: Beware on the AW11 for coilovers. A lot of companies make coilovers for the MK1b but not the MK1a. If you have an 85,86, and some 87s most kits won't work.

KSport lists a separate part number for the '85-'86 Kontrol Pro set.

Product ID: CTY371-KP Toyota MR2 1985-1986 Kontrol Pro Coilover System

Price: $1150.00

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
8/18/16 6:13 p.m.

No issues at all on my '85 IT MR2. Lee Grimes did suggest the starting spring rates and the were very good. As for set up, that's why you need scales. Corner weighting is important.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/18/16 6:28 p.m.

In reply to Maniac0301:

It's an '88 supercharged. And NickD those are Drag somethings from Discount Tire, Drag DR-27's I think.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
8/18/16 6:35 p.m.

I got Ceika's for mine. Been happy with the performance, the purchasing process left a lot to be desired. Took 3 months from order to delivery and a few things didn't come as ordered.

Still don't have fully correct lower mounts, geometry was a bit off due to the options I chose, which weren't properly accounted for in their drawings. Supposed to be getting a replacement set of mounts, been waiting a long time.

If I were to do it again I'd look at different suppliers

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
8/18/16 6:49 p.m.

Make sure you put some negative rake in it. It needs to sit a little higher in the front for the correct roll center.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/18/16 7:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: If you can, call Koni and talk to Lee Grimes. He probably knows some setup secrets, even if he is a Honda guy. Lee's been around the block.

I can not stress this enough. Lee is a great guy that has helped me on several cars over the years.

Re the mr2. You don't need coil overs you need upgraded springs and Koni struts. This was the formula we used for years racing MK1 MR2s with great success.

It is all about matching springs, struts and bars and then getting good bushings and upgrading the trailing arms in the rear as the bend easy once you stiffen up everything else. We would box the trailing arms with angle iron welded to the arm and then boxing it with a second piece of angle welded in. To form a box around the arm.

The short of it is to make a MR2 really work you need to look at more than just coil overs.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/19/16 8:25 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Well hell. Just before I read this, I saw this from Two's R Us:

Full coilover package

And I've ordered from them before (they did the new exhaust).

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/19/16 8:56 a.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote:
Maniac0301 wrote: Beware on the AW11 for coilovers. A lot of companies make coilovers for the MK1b but not the MK1a. If you have an 85,86, and some 87s most kits won't work.
KSport lists a separate part number for the '85-'86 Kontrol Pro set. Product ID: CTY371-KP Toyota MR2 1985-1986 Kontrol Pro Coilover System Price: $1150.00

KSport is Taiwainese knock-off junk.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
8/19/16 10:18 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

That must be why Pierce Motorsports in Torrance, CA has won a crap ton of races on them in cars ranging from 323s to various Porches...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/19/16 11:07 a.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote: In reply to z31maniac: That must be why Pierce Motorsports in Torrance, CA has won a crap ton of races on them in cars ranging from 323s to various Porches...

And I'd bet you a burger and a beer from McNellies that they aren't using them OTS. They are probably rebuilding them to their specs/valving with new internals.

Like FEAL and others do with the cheap coilovers.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
8/19/16 12:25 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
WildScotsRacing wrote: In reply to z31maniac: That must be why Pierce Motorsports in Torrance, CA has won a crap ton of races on them in cars ranging from 323s to various Porches...
And I'd bet you a burger and a beer from McNellies that they aren't using them OTS. They are probably rebuilding them to their specs/valving with new internals. Like FEAL and others do with the cheap coilovers.

OK, you are, in fact, somewhat correct there. BUT, the general quality of the KSport components is far better than when they first went into business. As in, they learned some hard lessons and took them to heart. Pierce does actually spec their own valving, and they get the components at a big enough discount that they can sell the sets at very little more than OTS sets goes for elsewhere.

Hows about an ale and a boxty at Kilkennys, instead?

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
8/20/16 4:42 p.m.

I second the Two's R Us kit. This has been the go to recommendation for quite awhile if you need coilovers. If $1700 is too pricey then I would go with the BC Coilovers. They are rebuild-able and decent quality you can usually find them for around $1000.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AorGPf5t4s82A3mhPRUyvcFbpgZ5GOicXRLiPqSDBewG0PcEW3NEGaNIF9dU7bik