1 2
jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
9/18/17 6:00 p.m.

Literally, I've watched him pull Benzs out the bush add fuel and battery. Never picked apart running cars!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/aS0pyxEEwx4

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
9/18/17 6:06 p.m.

Who knew a month after I posted this video Jalopnik.com would write up an article for my man.

http://jalopnik.com/a-michigan-town-is-forcing-this-man-to-sell-20-old-cars-1797608865

If you see something you like, I can get you in direct contact with him. It's pretty amazing for 1 guy to go this far. He's super nice, super reasonable.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
9/18/17 9:39 p.m.

I wish that I could pick up one of those sciroccos or volvo wagons. Has anyone contacted Jay Leno about helping out the situation?

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
9/18/17 9:42 p.m.

In reply to mrwillie :

LOL actually Jay ripped him off on some 190SLs about 4 years ago. He bought 5 for under $5k a piece, if you look up their current value you can image how great a deal that was!

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/19/17 8:41 a.m.

Compaired to me Leno Is rich and can Spend his money as he see's Fit. The man made a price and Leno Paid it. He didn't take advantage of or Rip off that man,   No I don't Know Mr. Leno, But do you think he should pay more because he has  more Disposable Income ?  He makes more money in 1 minute than I do in A month, But I hope they(big dog) come to the Challenge when I also have a car in it !

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
9/19/17 8:56 a.m.

In reply to jr10cross :

You know I thought I saw this on here. I assumed that's where Jalopnik got the lead from as they said simply stated a "forum member."

OTOH I got home today and my wife asked me if I'd been on Jalopnik today. (Leading questions related to cars tend to worry me.)

"Briefly yes why?"

"Some guy in Michigan is being forced to liquidate a bunch of cars and you've been talking about buying a Porsche" surprise

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/19/17 10:16 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

My man, you have your in!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
9/19/17 10:30 a.m.

I want a Saab for a winter beater. I wonder if he has any that are close ish to driving condition.

I feel for the guy. It's hard/annoying enough trying to sell one weird old car on CL. I can't imagine dealing with that volume of selling.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
9/19/17 10:55 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen44 :

He has one, 91 Saab 900s 16v 5-speed manual that I've been thinking about for myself. It starts but it has a fuel delivery issue. My guess is the common fuel pump in the tank. It's super easy to get through the access panel in the trunk. I've been going back and forth about buying, but if you want it, it's yours my man. One more car sold helps him out. I can give you his number if you like.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
9/19/17 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse :

If you only saw some of the cars in his barns on the other side of the road. I'm talking euro 1981 Porsche 928 5-speed manual with 67k, fair conditions BMW 2002 out of the weather, all kinds of stuff! My FCimportsauto IG has a few short clips.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
9/19/17 11:02 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

LOL I'm not sure who was first over there but my video has been out for over a month. I think we were there around the same time by looking at where the cars are located. He's got a 88 924s 67k orginal miles, and 87 924s with 87k in really decent shape, the paint is just oxidized. He also has a late 924 turbo which needs saving! 

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
9/19/17 11:30 a.m.

For once a car hoarder is actually selling. Looks like quite a few are on their way to returning to the earth. I'd maybe be interested in the blue 633i

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
9/19/17 11:31 a.m.
jr10cross said:

He has one, 91 Saab 900s 16v 5-speed manual that I've been thinking about for myself. It starts but it has a fuel delivery issue. My guess is the common fuel pump in the tank. It's super easy to get through the access panel in the trunk. I've been going back and forth about buying, but if you want it, it's yours my man. One more car sold helps him out. I can give you his number if you like.

The grey 16v 4 door in This Ad?

Looks like it could clean up nice.  I'd like to try to get in touch with him.  I'm sure he's got a lot of people contacting him and a lot of messages to sort through.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
9/19/17 11:35 a.m.

The leather seats are in really good condition. It shouldn't take much at all. I love the way the 900s engine is setup in reverse and how easy it is to change a clutch, plus that wrap around windshield is just gorgeous. I think they're super unique, but that's my 2 cents.

734-272-2609 - Ron
Let him know JR sent you his way. 

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
9/19/17 11:36 a.m.

In reply to oldtin :

and it's a 6-speed. I think you can get it for $1700 or less

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/19/17 5:08 p.m.

It's too bad that he's being forced into the issue, but I think it's a problem he created all on his own...By all appearances it is a junkyard, whether he wants to call it one or not.  The cars in the photos look to be in halfway decent shape but we all know what happens when you park a car out in the weeds for years, they rot out underneath.  I wonder how his pricing is as well (he mentions people wanting to pay $500 for a $5000 car) - I didn't see anything in there that looked like it was worth $5k.  If it were up to me I'd probably leave him alone, but at least make sure the cars are drained of fluids to prevent any oil or gas leaks into the groundwater.  Sadly, I suspect he may end up having to get the bulk of the hoard crushed.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
9/19/17 6:44 p.m.

The Scirocco, 2002, and old Chevy truck are the only things that caught my eye.

Hoarder collections never end well.  At least it sounds like he's reasonable on pricing.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
9/19/17 6:51 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

He had a better handle on things a few years ago, before he went through the process of watching his daughter die of cancer and then he had to deal with his own very serious health issues. He's been working really hard in the yard by himself with his fork lift. If you see some of the cars in his barn on the other side of the street, its apparent he had something going at one time. 

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
9/19/17 6:52 p.m.

In reply to NEALSMO :

Yep if your willing to get involved in a project that will pay you back in the end, he's ur man!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
9/19/17 7:14 p.m.

By rights that Scirocco should have been long gone.  How many were imported to the States? smiley

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/19/17 8:02 p.m.
jr10cross said:

He had a better handle on things a few years ago, before he went through the process of watching his daughter die of cancer and then he had to deal with his own very serious health issues. He's been working really hard in the yard by himself with his fork lift. If you see some of the cars in his barn on the other side of the street, its apparent he had something going at one time. 

Very sad.  From my limited understanding of the disease, hoarding can often begin or be escalated after traumatic events.  I feel for the guy, I really do, but it sure doesn't sound like he's going to be able to get enough of the cars sold to satisfy the local government.  I hope the online publicity, both through the Jalopnik article and all the talk on the various web boards (this story is being discussed on every board I visit) will garner enough interest from serious buyers.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project New Reader
9/19/17 8:05 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
jr10cross said:

Very sad.  From my limited understanding of the disease, hoarding can often begin or be escalated after traumatic events.  I feel for the guy, I really do, but it sure doesn't sound like he's going to be able to get enough of the cars sold to satisfy the local government.  I hope the online publicity, both through the Jalopnik article and all the talk on the various web boards (this story is being discussed on every board I visit) will garner enough interest from serious buyers.

That, and hopefully he'd rather see a "$5000 car" get sold for $500 than get crushed. That said, can I get a 2002 for $500? Kidding aside- if he was smart he'd start listing 25 at a time on eBay with no reserve, that way he's almost guaranteed to have 20 of them gone and picked up every month. "Must be picked up within 10 days of auction. As is, where is, can use forklift to help load."

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/19/17 9:07 p.m.

Exactly. It's how I get rid of unwanted garage stuff. No reserve, the market decides what it's worth, I get some cash and freed-up space. Done, move on. 

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
9/20/17 8:42 a.m.

In reply to jr10cross :

Thanks!  I'll give him a call.  They are cool cars for sure.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/20/17 9:14 a.m.

The guy I bought my last E21 from could very well be in the same position this guy is if he wasn't located in rural TN. Although he only had BMW. They were all around his house, his back yard, side yard and he had two barns across the road that was full of the cars as well. All of them nice low milage running and driving cars that he bought and just parked in his yard. The newest one was only five years old and it looked like it had been sitting for at least two years.

I just kept wondering how in the hell he could afford to buy all of them. 

His house was no better. He had stuff attacked from floor to ceiling with barely a path to walk through. It took him an hour to find the title. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kxMglD5sJNq4vGtBmL0YBm9pOTLrZ05WFE8oJ2oURGSBmPOtHOqqle4DHnMK8BqI