1 2
Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/7/18 12:33 p.m.
NOHOME said:
Strizzo said:

usually if the rebuild parts can be gotten, any motorcycle shop can rebuild/re-charge coilovers. 

Not heard of this? Why motorcycle shop requirement?

Have dead V-max shock with less than 100 miles that I would like to try and rebuild in case the others also die. If anyone has knowledge of what fails with these and if/how they can be rebuilt, I am all ears.

Not a requirement, but bike shops rebuild a lot of shocks and there are a lot of bike shops around capable of doing it.

It's usually a seal failure, and it's not difficult work if you're reasonably good on the tools. A bike shop or bike suspension guy can recharge them for you with nitrogen or you can just use air.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
9/7/18 1:24 p.m.
dean1484 said:

For that $$$$. I would just get a set of Koni’s and move on.  

this

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/7/18 1:40 p.m.
Suprf1y said:
NOHOME said:
Strizzo said:

usually if the rebuild parts can be gotten, any motorcycle shop can rebuild/re-charge coilovers. 

Have dead V-max shock with less than 100 miles that I would like to try and rebuild in case the others also die. If anyone has knowledge of what fails with these and if/how they can be rebuilt, I am all ears.

Not a requirement, but bike shops rebuild a lot of shocks and there are a lot of bike shops around capable of doing it.

It's usually a seal failure, and it's not difficult work if you're reasonably good on the tools. A bike shop or bike suspension guy can recharge them for you with nitrogen or you can just use air.

Unfortunately, the Miata V-Maxx are not rebuildable. But they are warranteed.

shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot Reader
9/7/18 2:36 p.m.

I dailyed koni sport coilovers for 14 years. They never leaked. I had two instances where warranty came up. They took care of it fairly each time. 

I was fortunate enough to talk to Lee about my application before purchase. He was right on every point. They may not be as adjustable as KWs, but they are 90% what you likely need and have great quality and support to back you up.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Konis. They should be the OE sport suspension option like manufacturers do with Brembo brakes. 

8valve
8valve Reader
9/7/18 3:58 p.m.

Maybe you guys have a more exciting daily drive than me..  mine is 100% 405 fwy.  And yes I used to do it on coilovers.  No more of that E36 M3 for me.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
9/7/18 7:45 p.m.
NOHOME said:
Strizzo said:

Pete

because sportbike shocks are fairly similar to aftermarket automotive coilovers.  assuming that the seals and piston liner parts are either standard or can be gotten from KW, motorcycle shops have the equipment required to recharge them with nitrogen to the ~250 psi required to keep them from cavitating. 

freetors
freetors Reader
9/7/18 8:13 p.m.
8valve said:

Maybe you guys have a more exciting daily drive than me..  mine is 100% 405 fwy.  And yes I used to do it on coilovers.  No more of that E36 M3 for me.

I would happily daily my autocross s2000 with coilovers if I didn't have another more practical car to drive. The ride is actually really nice as long as the bumps are smaller than my available suspension travel. And that's with 900 and 670 lb/in spring rates. It's all in the damping.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/7/18 9:21 p.m.
Strizzo said:
NOHOME said:
Strizzo said:

Pete

because sportbike shocks are fairly similar to aftermarket automotive coilovers.  assuming that the seals and piston liner parts are either standard or can be gotten from KW, motorcycle shops have the equipment required to recharge them with nitrogen to the ~250 psi required to keep them from cavitating. 

250! We use 80 in our Fox monotubes, and some of our old twintubes weren't even pressurized.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
9/8/18 7:33 a.m.

Pressure definitely depends on the shock design.  IIRC the Bilsteins on the Jeep are spec-ed for 180-250 psi. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
9/8/18 7:41 a.m.

I wouldn't of bought used coilovers with 50k miles on them. Especially for that much. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
diWc247ySOHF0zXZFYbIZTmMTvvPHIZVhDmt6pAMuSNSyZoLaJGumoAxS0AIB1qj