The_Jed UltraDork
11/30/14 11:54 p.m.

In reply to FooBag:

Thanks for the link!

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
12/1/14 9:42 a.m.

Google maps times from my house:

• Badlands Attica (Indiana Rallycross) - 1hr 57min.
  • Rocky Glen Rockford (Stateline Rallycross) - 1hr 54min.
  • Byron MP Byron (Stateline Rallycross) - 1hr 59min.

Hahaha... guess I'll be trying both next season.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
9/15/15 8:07 a.m.

Zombie thread!!!

I still can't get my schedule to mesh with the motorsports schedules of St. Louis, Rantoul and Chicago...there's always a conflict. I hate being a grown up!!!

It's gotten to the point where I'm considering forming an LLC to buy 5 acres or so of land near Peoria to host events, just so I have a place to Rallycross.

I figure 5 acres at 10,000 per acre should be around $350 per month for a 15 year note? $30 per car with, hopefully, at least a 10 car field every weekend would generate $1,200 per month. I assume that would cover insurance, the payment, yadda, yadda...

But I know diddly squat about that sort of thing...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/15/15 8:30 a.m.

Hey you've got an idea lol

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
9/15/15 9:02 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

I'd imagine if you were to 'settle' for not prime farmland, and instead were able to get away with some wetlands, trees, etc, you could drive your per acre down to about half what you are thinking.

Heck, do what the hunters do, and draw up an agreement between 10-20 guys to share the land and payment. (or you own the LLC and have members 'sign up' for a fee). Also, speaking of hunting, that is a great additional source of usage for the land. Sign me up.

I'm sure the trickiest part of this whole thing is finding a space where the zoning/local laws actually understand motorsports and don't drown you in red tape.

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
9/15/15 9:05 a.m.

Also - shameless self promotion - the closer you are to chicago the better your event turn out will be. There is nothing on the south/west side of chicago for rallyx, so use that to your advantage.

FooBag
FooBag New Reader
9/15/15 9:36 a.m.

Good timing on resurrecting this thread! I can use it to promote Iowa Region SCCA's first rallycross event. We're holding it Oct 11th in Palo, IA (Cedar Rapids). The venue is a very flat grass field that's about 350'x1500' so we should have a decently long course.

It's a pretty long drive from Chicago or Peoria, but I wanted to make you all aware in case you're really itching to race.

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/763362243772915/

Motorsport Reg Link: http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/rallycross-1-at-palo-scca-iowa-952281

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
9/15/15 10:20 a.m.
rcutclif wrote: Also - shameless self promotion - the closer you are to chicago the better your event turn out will be. There is nothing on the south/west side of chicago for rallyx, so use that to your advantage.

Ideally I was hoping to find something close to a hotel, a gas station and fast food, to accommodate out of towners. Again, I have no clue about this sort of thing, I need to do tons of research.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
9/15/15 10:21 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/15/15 10:37 a.m.

I would become a member. There's literally dozens of us in Illinois! Dozens!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
9/15/15 10:39 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

What about Normal? It has all that stuff because of ISU and it's straight down 55 from Chicago.

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
9/16/15 5:10 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Zombie thread!!! I still can't get my schedule to mesh with the motorsports schedules of St. Louis, Rantoul and Chicago...there's always a conflict. I hate being a grown up!!! It's gotten to the point where I'm considering forming an LLC to buy 5 acres or so of land near Peoria to host events, just so I have a place to Rallycross. I figure 5 acres at 10,000 per acre should be around $350 per month for a 15 year note? $30 per car with, hopefully, at least a 10 car field every weekend would generate $1,200 per month. I assume that would cover insurance, the payment, yadda, yadda... But I know diddly squat about that sort of thing...

Or that 100ac your wife found? Would be plenty to allow camping/wrenching and the farmland would pay a very large chunk of it. Plus it has ATV trails. More options, more fun, but it is isolated...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/17/15 7:16 p.m.

You guys need to stop putting ideas in my head.

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
9/18/15 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Sorrynotsorry

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
9/21/15 12:09 p.m.

Just found this thread and thought it might be a nice starting point for some sort of low buck motorsports activity for us Illinois people.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/22/15 2:11 p.m.

Just saw this--You do know that the CIR SCCA is active again and hosting autocross events in Mossville, right? Unfortunately I think their last event at CAT was cancelled.

Additionally, I believe that there have been or will be some rallycross events in Byron, IL. Stateline Rallycross, I believe. They may be done for the season though.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
9/22/15 5:40 p.m.

In reply to mtn:

Glad to hear CIR is back in business!

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
2/21/17 11:09 a.m.

Zombie thread! Again!

Out of curiosity I ran a search today and found the same events mentioned earlier; Stateline hosting events in Fort Smith, Arkansas, Byron, Illinois and Shawano, Wisconsin. Also Indiana hosting events in...Indiana.

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
2/21/17 11:27 a.m.

I got all excited that you had identified a piece of land...

FooBag
FooBag New Reader
2/21/17 12:05 p.m.

Iowa Region is hosting a rallycross in Cordova, IL (western edge by the Quad Cities) on March 12th. We've got 17 acres to work with, so we should have a pretty good course. You can sign up on MotorsportReg.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/21/17 12:18 p.m.

What's with all my threads coming back from the dead?

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/5/21 9:43 p.m.

Zombie thread!

I know this thread was originally started so we could share info about Rally cross events in or near Illinois but, I figured I'd share some Autocross info I just stumbled upon.

The Champaign County Sports Car Club will be hosting Autocross events at the Rantoul Aviation Center on the following dates:

March 27th and 28th

April 17th and 18th

May 1st and 2nd

June 5th and 6th (Autocross School)

June 12th and 13th

July 16th (Test and Tune)

July 17th and 18th

August 14th and 15th

September 4th and 5th

October 9th and 10

November 6th and 7th

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
1/6/21 11:55 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

That's a nice venue. I used to run some of their auto-x's back in the 80's & 90's when it was an  active Air Force base.  No planes, only classroom training.

The biggest thing I saw fly in was a piper cub. I guess there is at least one good runway if they're calling it an "aviation" center now.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/6/21 12:18 p.m.

CCSCC is a tremendous group to run with. And probably the most affordable group too.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/6/21 12:30 p.m.

I will try to make as many of those as I can with F-dat. Especially the test and tune day. 

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jq2Pc2ZzCKA9figbANjWaQtx9F8d9mELGfo2ES7So3IvJnvhW2qqTTzqmRz60iaT