1 2
motomoron
motomoron Dork
9/2/13 11:02 p.m.

This past weekend was the DC Region SCCA / MARRS Labor Day double at Summit Point. I've been chasing the C sports racer season championship all year - essentially since I crashed the car last October. It's been a bazillion hours and a E36 M3 ton of work, but I made it to The Double with a nice points lead.

• Saturday morning I qualified w/ a 1'14.434 which put me on the pole for Saturday and Sundays races.

• Saturday race: Got to turn 1 in 2nd place, chased for 2 laps, noticed he always ducks left before turning right in T1, drafted him all the way to his brake marker (the 300' board) the next lap, as he slowed and moved left I popped out - still flat - moved right, braked at the 2, and squared it off inside him. Then I drove away. Class and overall group win.

• Sunday: From pole I beat the 2nd place CSR to T1. A Formula Enterprises car got through, I passed him the next lap and managed traffic well to stay out front. Class and overall group win.

• Monday: I was gridded P1 for quals. In qualifying I tried going out as hard as possible to see what the highest first race lap pace was that I could manage. I caught the back of the field in a lap, so I camped out in 1st gear to give them room then started my flying lap in turn 9 so I'd be at 100% pace exiting 10 which leads into the start-finish straight. When I saw 1'14.1" on my timer I wagered it was good for pole.

I was 1/10th off. The competition did a 14 flat, so I'd be starting from the outside.

This necessitated getting a perfect start and perfect shifts to win the drag race to the first turn.

So I did that, and it worked.

I clicked off the absolute best 14 laps of Summit in my life and lead the race wire to wire.

And I did a 1'13.843.

3 personal best laps, 3 class wins, 3 overall Wings n' Things group wins. Against a 5 car field in class, the cheapest of which cost double what I have in mine - the rest are all new $100k+ Radicals, and about 20 cars total in the race group, most of which appear to me on track not as cars, but stationary objects.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/2/13 11:13 p.m.

Nice, you lucky, lucky bastard

You have earned the right to brag a little

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/2/13 11:14 p.m.

You done good.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/2/13 11:15 p.m.

berkeleying sweet

EDIT: 1.13.8xx is really flying. For you guys who don't know Summit... that is about 4 seconds a lap faster than pole in a pro driven GT3 cup car.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/2/13 11:19 p.m.
motomoron wrote: Against a 5 car field, the cheapest of which cost double what I have in mine - the rest are all new $100k+ Radicals.

I love when it when GRMers show people that they cannot just buy a championship.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/2/13 11:21 p.m.

you definitley earned the right to brag

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/2/13 11:39 p.m.

Nice

ransom
ransom UberDork
9/2/13 11:41 p.m.

That's spectacular. If it's bragging, it's very well earned.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/2/13 11:43 p.m.

Congratulations man, and brag that up! What an awesome accomplishment. That's being "Grassroots"!!!

motomoron
motomoron Dork
9/2/13 11:58 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: If I do say so it is hauling the motherberkeleying mail. srsly.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
9/3/13 12:31 a.m.

I think it's time to update your car's profile, where you say, "I've managed to get it down to 1'20" at Summit Point." That's a huge accomplishment.

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
9/3/13 3:57 a.m.

Mad props

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/3/13 6:13 a.m.

If you accomplished it, then it ain't bragging, congrats!

stan
stan SuperDork
9/3/13 6:24 a.m.

Good job, sir.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
9/3/13 6:34 a.m.

Congrats!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/3/13 6:37 a.m.

Double awesome. Congrats

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
9/3/13 7:02 a.m.

well done

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/3/13 7:09 a.m.

Forgiven. (Hell, last rallycross I placed in the middle of the field of 20 and felt like bragging.)

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/3/13 7:37 a.m.

abso-berking-lutely awesome!!! Congrats!!

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/3/13 7:44 a.m.

It's OK to brag a bit... now and then, we need to be reminded of what this magazine is about and your effort represents that to a T.

Congrats on a well deserved win.

Are you planning to go to the Run-Offs?

Armitage
Armitage Reader
9/3/13 7:47 a.m.

I dub thee "GRM Hero of the Week". Good show!

dinger
dinger Reader
9/3/13 8:09 a.m.

It's not bragging if you earned it. Congrats, dude.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
9/3/13 8:13 a.m.

Well done.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/3/13 8:13 a.m.

well done

I luvs some C & D Sports Racing

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
9/3/13 8:33 a.m.