GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/28/21 1:23 p.m.

A facility doctor of mine snagged me before leaving.

He's got too many projects and he's offloading his 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 manual; hes got too much between an old Galaxie, another Ford, and his two dailies (and likely his practice). He's only offering $800 for it and the spares, says the oil pump is cracked off the front of the block and isn't sure how, but is too busy to even try right now.

Thing is, this is worth $2400 in parts alone. What I could write down in time is:

New tires, comes with all new set of winter tires on steelies.

Cobb access port for E85 and 91 tune.

New upper and lower control arms all around.

AEM Intake

New turbo, New downpipe

Short throw shift

Tockiko struts

Auto EXE springs for a slight drop

Replacement PTO shaft (?) Made of hardened steel (?) Some kind of rare part

And far more including bracing but I couldn't write fast enough. What does a replacement block cost, or can a yard one be sourced easily/swap a functional block instead?

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
4/28/21 1:52 p.m.

That's a lot of good parts on it. 

You'll have a hard time finding a good used unit because it is NOT a reliable engine. Even the ones in the CX-7. Though some say having an uprated HPFP can make a huge difference in reliability. 

But for 800$, there is no way to loose money on this.

calteg
calteg Dork
4/28/21 1:59 p.m.

The motors liked to blow up for no reason. I wouldn't try to put it back together, part it out and make money

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/28/21 2:08 p.m.

"Blow up for no reason" or "modified and driven to death"?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/28/21 2:58 p.m.

I think those have sub frame rot issues There was a recall but I think it was for later ones. I would look really carefully at the sub frames before purchasing. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/28/21 3:59 p.m.

Speed6's have become unicorns of rarity. The trans/PTO/rear diff are easily worth the asking price.

As for the motor, the popular thing to do is swap in a 2.5 shortblock from a later Fusion. That apparently fixes most of the issues and allows for a power bump.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/28/21 6:20 p.m.

Friend of mine owned one.  In three years she spent $10k keeping it on the road before dumping it.  And it was down almost 1/2 the time she owned it.

Part that out before it sucks your wallet into oblivion.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
4/28/21 7:57 p.m.

A Speed3 is the same engine, but .......a good used one might be hard to find.  

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
4/28/21 8:37 p.m.

I have one nugget of wisdom if you do anything besides a part out.

I worked on the Zoom Zoom Live tours when these were new.  We had these because the boat carrying the Speed3's fell over. See "Cougar Ace" story for more on that.

Anyway, the shift linkage has a weight on it to help the feel.  If you are in 2nd,4th or 6th gear and get into the ABS hard on a variable surface it can pop out of gear.

We had them popping out of 2nd gear when people braked over painted stripes in some of the parking lots.

First we tried to work the courses around the issue and then we finally just removed the weights on all the cars. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yYHML4opuXRC69ycbbJAEs9IeZbzrErbjAw0PuDp28cu7KQzG7DzKJrf7hFxTEdw