Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/4/19 4:15 p.m.

I'm kind of annoyed with WeatherTech over something trivial and stupid.

I just bought a new truck and was kind of surprised that the cup holders are just hard plastic without a removable pad for easy cleaning. Fortunately WeatherTech sells something called Car Coasters.

https://www.weathertech.com/weathertech-coasters/carcoasters/

I clicked on the "Shop For Your Vehicle" link on the WeatherTech site, entered the make/model/year of my truck and ordered a set. The set includes two large and two small. I have five cup holders, but figured four would be good enough.

The problem is, only the small ones fit. I assumed that by clicking the "Shop For Your Vehicle" link, they would have done the homework and sent me four that would actually fit my vehicle.

I called customer service, explained what I was looking for and asked if I could just buy three more small ones. Nope, sets of four (two small and too big) only. End of conversation.

These aren't that expensive ($9.95 per set, plus a full 50% more to ship), but it's annoying that the only way to get five small ones is to buy three sets and end up with six extras that I don't need.

It would be different if I had ordered a generic set, but the "Shop For Your Vehicle" thing sort of implies that the items will fit your vehicle.

I've bought a ton of stuff from them through the years and I expected better from a good company like WeatherTech.

\sillylittlerant

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
2/4/19 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Understandably annoying. But I think it comes Under The Heading of first world problems.wink

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
2/4/19 4:26 p.m.

They have to pay for all of that advertising and the worlds slowest construction project. (have you noticed, in the past 2 years they have announced, broke ground, poured a pad and got one wall up. Jeez, I could put a pre-fab building up with my aunt faster than that!)  

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
2/4/19 7:01 p.m.

So... how big are the large ones? 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/4/19 7:06 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

So... how big are the large ones? 

3 7/16”. 

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
2/4/19 8:04 p.m.

I'm surprised at the poor customer service. I called them a few years ago when the mats for our Cadillac ATS had a flaw where they would get stuck under the seat if you moved the seat up to accommodate a shorter driver. They gave me a couple of suggestions to attempt to fix the issue. Then they sent me a new set of mats for free. The second set fit perfectly. I walked away from the experience impressed with their customer service, so I'm disappointed they didn't try harder to make things right for you.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/4/19 9:26 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 :

The conversation literally stopped when he said that they were only available in sets of four (big and small), and we sat there in silence for a few moments as I waited for him to suggest an alternative plan.

Nothing.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
2/4/19 9:28 p.m.

I have a set of their floor mats that are not the laser-cut laser-fit blah blah whatever they're called (not offered), but they're still supposed to be for a MB W124, or at least that's what I assumed.  The fit is horrible. Not a fan. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/4/19 9:35 p.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

The floor liners are amazing, but the others are not. I've had multiple sets of each.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms New Reader
2/11/19 6:44 a.m.

I have their floor liners in my Colorado and the only one that fits correctly is the driver side. The passenger side and the two rear mats dont fit 100% per the floor plan. Its like the seat rails are different in my truck compared to the truck they scanned for the mats. I deal with it but wasnt really happy when i found 3/4 didnt fit as advertised. They do a great job of holding the mud in and keep the carpet clean though so im content. Probably saved me from replacing the carpet on a 2017 truck within the first year of ownership.

Tyler H
Tyler H UberDork
2/11/19 7:44 a.m.
Woody said:

In reply to dj06482 :

The conversation literally stopped when he said that they were only available in sets of four (big and small), and we sat there in silence for a few moments as I waited for him to suggest an alternative plan.

Nothing.

The ideal answer is "Let me ship you out another set for free.  Thanks for your loyalty."  There has to be a lot of profit in there.  I think it cost nearly $400 to outfit our new van.  

Still, companies don't always put their best people on the front lines, and/or don't equip them with the tools and authority they need.   

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
2/11/19 7:50 a.m.
Tyler H said:

Still, companies don't always put their best people on the front lines, and/or don't equip them with the tools and authority they need.   

Thats a fact.  Its so foreign for me to deal with terrible customer service when I work at a place that has excellent customer service and all the inside sales folks are empowered to deal with the situation as needed to keep the customer happy.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
2/11/19 8:20 a.m.

There floor mats for my F350 STUCK.  the Screw that goes in to the carpet is right were I put my foot if try to not to keep the right leg extended and the dam thing sticks up a inch and a half.

The floor mats listed for my 05 Cobalt did not come with a hole for the factory clip so it slid and jam the gas pedal.... I poke the hole now. that fit like crap too lazer measured my ass a kindergartener with a cardboard and scissors could have made a better template.

Customer service was fruitless when i called on both problem and that was 4-5 years apart.  Not a fan of the weather tech corp 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
2/11/19 8:33 a.m.
Tyler H said:

The ideal answer is "Let me ship you out another set for free.  Thanks for your loyalty."  There has to be a lot of profit in there.  I think it cost nearly $400 to outfit our new van.  

This. If I'm complaining, I tell them why I'm unhappy and also what I'd like them to do in order to fix the problem.

llysgennad
llysgennad New Reader
2/11/19 11:16 a.m.

A negative but honest review on their website or Amazon will probably get more traction than a phone call, if they have decent customer support. Might take awhile though.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
2/11/19 1:02 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x38gQsuU8TGpgISH47wR8P61jCXfTeAzPKsbFl6Nwk5lL4z9NfrbXxMoH0TfE8yY