vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/3/21 8:43 p.m.

We have a 2019 Ford Fusion hybrid for our DE car at school. Back in March the trunk began to randomly pop open on its own. Stationary, moving, while in the car, or nowhere near it. I would come out to the car and the trunk would be open. Or we would head out of the parking lot and, pop, it would open. Close it. Pop, open. Close it again. Pop, open. You could hear the latch cycling to release the trunk even after it was open. You can also hear what sounds like a relay under the dash clicking away erratically. Only solution has been to unplug the latch in the lid. I brought it to the local plug and play, I mean dealership, and they fixed it. Haha, just kidding. They reproduced the problem (I had to leave the car for a weak). They reprogrammed both key fobs. Nope. They reprogrammed the BCU. Nope. They replaced the BCU. Called it fixed. The summer DE instructor had no issues. Okay maybe it's me. Perhaps keeping the fob in the smaller pocket of my jeans is causing a problem. Put the fob in the cupholder. Nope. Pop. So now I have it disconnected again, cause I can't drive around in a car with a trunk that may randomly pop open when I have nervous anxious kids behind the wheel. I've searched the web. I am not alone. I filed a report with NHTSA. The dealerships have no clue. Ford isn't saying anything. Various "fixes" on the web have failed. Some suggest a problem with the latch. Some say it's the keyless entry pad on the door. Yet others say it's the fobs. Have any of you experienced this or recognize the symptoms of a problem. Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
9/4/21 5:33 a.m.

I have a 2019 Fusion and have not had this problem.  I'm interested though.  I assume there is no damage to the wiring harness and the BCU isn't in a place where it could get water damaged or anything?  

STM317
STM317 UberDork
9/4/21 6:13 a.m.

Interesting. My 2016 Fusion PHEV has 56k miles without issue.

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd New Reader
9/4/21 6:32 a.m.

Was the summer DE instructor using a different fob?  (Just trying to figure out why they had no issues and you do.) In longshot corner, I wonder if some part of the BCM is sensitive to RF interference. (Maybe try completely powering down your phone when you're near the car as an experiment?) 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
9/4/21 6:42 a.m.

Does it have the same no touch opening feature as a lot of SUVs and minivans have now? Could something be messing with that sensor under the car?

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
9/4/21 8:08 a.m.

I have a 2018 Hyundai Sonata that mysteriously locks the passenger-side rear door.  I'm still trying to ensure that the fob button is accidentally getting pressed.  But it does seem to be that single door most often.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
9/4/21 9:02 a.m.

I had a coworker with a 2-3 year old Chevy Impala that did this same thing. The trunk would just randomly pop itself throughout the day due to some kind of electrical bug. I don't think GM ever figured it out either, FWIW.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/4/21 2:33 p.m.

Has keyless number entry on the door. Any info on the web seems to be cars with this option. Does not have the foot activated option. Will pop wether or not I'm nearby, so phone is not the issue.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/4/21 11:26 p.m.

My 17 Honda Fit has a rear hatch lock that will sometimes stick while trying to unlock it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5zLlwlBrfZs8ZGyki5tgx5ll0Z5nzVrBf7qkMU2G185WZm7V953iL3ckW7rvkg9Z