1 2
plance1
plance1 Dork
1/14/14 9:13 p.m.

I learned tonight how old I am. It wasn't pretty. I went go carting at Full Throttle this evening, an indoor track just north of Cincinnati. I signed up for three races. By the middle of the first race I was sore and gasping for breath. What a wuss I have become.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/14/14 9:15 p.m.

I'd rather be sore from racing than busting concrete with a 20lb. sledge all day.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/14/14 9:24 p.m.

We raced last weekend at a big indoor kart track for our rallycross awards dinner....one of our guys broke his wrist right next to me in a collision with a girl who spun out in front of us (I got around the left)....

I was pretty sore afterwards myself, even with no collisions at all....

(I worked a summer years ago busting up concrete sidewalks with a sledge....I was never sore from that)..

So yeah, I'm old flabby and weak too now . I hear you.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/14/14 10:58 p.m.

irish44j wrote:

(I worked a summer years ago busting up concrete sidewalks with a sledge....I was never sore from that).

Liar! Or you weren't trying hard enough.

sergio
sergio Reader
1/14/14 10:58 p.m.

It's amazing how something as simple as a go kart can stress one's body so much. I go to indoor electric karts because the gas ones just about kill me with their exhaust.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
1/15/14 12:38 a.m.

SWMBO and myself recently signed up for a VIP membership at an indoor karting track near us (Lehigh Valley Grand Prix) and shortly after we realized just how out of shape we really are. I slammed a wall pretty hard and my ribs were sore for a week. I will be 39 this month and this is the first year I've ever felt my age. I'm guessing it's all downhill from here?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
1/15/14 1:42 a.m.

My best man, groomsmen and I went go-karting for my stag party.

Myself and one other guy were the only ones who had any real-world racetrack experience.

We were beaten by one of my friends who had never been in a kart in his life, much less on a racetrack.

It had nothing to do with the fact that he was about 100lbs lighter than the both of us. He must have gotten the better kart.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/15/14 6:58 a.m.

Gasping for breath is normal for indoor karting. Are you done coughing up petrochemicals yet?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/15/14 7:26 a.m.

hahaha! I was just trying to figure out how to do a selfie of my back. I did a 3hr enduro at LVGP over the weekend where we had 3 man teams and our strategy was to do hour long stints.

I'm black and blue from my shoulders to my hip on the left side. It's been 3 days and my ribs are just starting not to hurt.

Still... we rolled a 2nd place out of 13 teams - a lot of regular league guys too. Gotta do what ya gotta do. Thats why they make Advil.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
1/15/14 7:28 a.m.

Its been a while since I've been to full throttle. I think I have three races on my card that expire soon. Last itme I was there, after two races, my arms were extremely sore.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/15/14 7:48 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: hahaha! I was just trying to figure out how to do a selfie of my back.

Back a mirror and shoot over your shoulder.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/15/14 8:32 a.m.

G-Force Karts in Richmond, VA!

Don't feel bad. I'm in decent shape for an old guy, and I get pretty sore in the arms after about 3 races. Well, I'm oblivious to the abuse I've done to my body while I'm racing, but it lets me know the next day.

My brother, who is my most frequent companion there (we go once or twice a year) has come out with a spectacular bruise or two from on-track altercations.

So, the soreness we can let slide. The gasping for breath thing though, you need to work some cardio, and HTFU!

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/15/14 8:57 a.m.
plance1 wrote: I learned tonight how old I am. It wasn't pretty. I went go carting at Full Throttle this evening, an indoor track just north of Cincinnati. I signed up for three races. By the middle of the first race I was sore and gasping for breath. What a wuss I have become.

We have our February car club meetings at an indoor kart track. Last year, believe it or not, was the first time I'd ever driven a kart other than yard hoppers. I confidently signed up for 4 races. By the middle of the second I was getting tired. By the middle of the third, I moved to the outside and putted around until the session ended. I still have the ticket for the 4th race in my wallet.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/15/14 9:04 a.m.

Yup. 2 back to back races (8 minute sessions) at bluegrass indoor karting and I'm winded and sore. I stupidly did 4 sessions in one visit a while back..... I had visible bruising on both sides that hurt for a week

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
1/15/14 9:06 a.m.

After three races on indoor electric karts, surprising I wasn't sore, just tired out.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/15/14 9:19 a.m.

Karting will take it out of you. It's not just the physical beating, but the adrenaline that gets you.

For the last two years I participated in a 6-hour karting endurance race for charity-- up in the Chicagoland area. (Put on by the awesome guys at www.Lapsincorporated.com and www.Continentalautosports.com) I mention these guys, as they were responsible for the event raising over $175K in two years to help homeless folks. It was a great experience. Unfortunately, the track was bought and the new owners use electric karts--- no can do for a long enduro.

In last year's race I thought I was done after my first 15 minute session. My arms were burning, I was a bit out of breath, just plain exhausted. I thought.....there's no WAY I can do this for another 6 hours!

It was then I realized I'd been so amped up, that I'd been giving the steering wheel a death grip. (contributing to my arms being sore) My body was totally tense, exacerbating the beating the kart was dishing out. I rested a bit, and was able to continue. We (5 man team) were all totally spent after the race.

Lesson learned---- sometimes adrenaline adds to the beating. Now I try to make a conscious effort to relax when behind the wheel---- it helps a ton!

Powar
Powar SuperDork
1/15/14 9:29 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Yup. 2 back to back races (8 minute sessions) at bluegrass indoor karting and I'm winded and sore. I stupidly did 4 sessions in one visit a while back..... I had visible bruising on both sides that hurt for a week

I've been there the past two weekends in a row with my father-in-law. We did three sessions Saturday and we both ended up with some sweet bruises. His probably were related more to his wall impact than just driving, but still.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/15/14 10:15 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Lesson learned---- sometimes adrenaline adds to the beating. Now I try to make a conscious effort to relax when behind the wheel---- it helps a ton!

That's something I was taught to do when racing cars, too. Going down the straights, roll your shoulders and flex your fingers, take a deep breath, and scan your gauges. It can really help keep you relaxed and reduce fatigue.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/15/14 10:26 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: hahaha! I was just trying to figure out how to do a selfie of my back.

Wear pants.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/15/14 10:58 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Wear pants.

Ah good thing you said that!

1/15/14 11:00 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Wear pants.

DOH! I guess I'll have to wait until I get done with work then.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
1/15/14 11:22 a.m.
chknhwk wrote: SWMBO and myself recently signed up for a VIP membership at an indoor karting track near us (Lehigh Valley Grand Prix) and shortly after we realized just how out of shape we really are. I slammed a wall pretty hard and my ribs were sore for a week.

A few years back, I joined Lehigh Valley Grand Prix's adult kart league for one month. I was up against guys who had been running there every week for years, and this was my first time ever doing competitive kart racing. The one and only heat race I ever won in that league, I cracked my ribs. I was in the lead and took a corner too hot. I slapped the wall hard, flush on the left side. I remember my eyes watering and it being very difficult to breath. But I was in the lead and sure as E36 M3 wasn't about to give it up. I was in horrible pain for the next month.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/15/14 12:13 p.m.

I don't have a lot of karting experience, but I remember my first event in an IT 240Z, after about 20 minutes I was spent. My shoulders hurt for a week afterwards it loaded up so badly. I was in pretty good shape then too. Now...not so much. I get winded getting up from my desk at work, I can't imagine driving something so physical in my current state.

What I would worry about most with karting now is my back. I'm not sure it could take the beating from my previous outings in a shifter kart. I keep looking at ads for Vees and other formula cars, and then I start thinking about how difficult it would be to get in an out. I never considered those things before, ever! It sucks getting old!

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
1/15/14 12:53 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Wear pants.
DOH! I guess I'll have to wait until I get done with work then.

So AFTER work you will have pants on???

1/15/14 12:58 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: So *AFTER* work you will have pants on???

Stuntcock!

I'm working from home today. Boxer briefs are the uniform.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kq5WkLUdsKPtMKduXi7MDviSc371axhDYPZ5O6jyKMmUWrokKMmy1T3JAMqCD0xf