1 2 3 4 5
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/2/18 4:27 p.m.

This Defender was listed for like $50k  locally and is marked as sold.

I'd take a G-Wagen over it for sure. Portal axles and three lockers makes for a capable toy.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/2/18 4:34 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I want one of these. I even want the stupid little cages over the turn signals. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/2/18 5:05 p.m.
STM317 said:

These strike me as Wrangler Unlimiteds for rich people. I feel like they have similar buyers, just different tax brackets.

There is some truth to this in our case, not the rich people part,  but the similar buyers part.  It’s just a slightly different evolution.  We started with a 99 Cherokee in about 2004 (still have it),  then went to a new 2012 2 door wrangler which is still going strong at 140k miles,  and next will more than likely be a cpo g550.  At first we looked at a new Wrangler JL,  but Jeep has discontinued the 2 door Sahara,  so to get the options we want we have to step up to a rubicon at 50k.  Personally,  I have a hard time paying 50k for a new two door Wrangler,  but don’t have a problem paying more than that for a cpo g550.

Now some people will comment that you don’t need all those options in a Jeep that gets it up to 50k.  That’s true,  but we want them.  For the days I want a basic minimalist 4x4 I’ll hop in my 72 fj40 or 85 cj-7,  but that’s a totally different experience.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/2/18 6:10 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
NickD said:
Wally said:

If I ever run into money the first thing I’m buying is a bright red G Wagen. Ok maybe the second thing I buy. 

Dare I ask what the first thing is?

I wasn’t planning on spending quite that much money.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/2/18 6:17 p.m.

These strike me as Wrangler Unlimiteds for rich people.

New maybe, but there is a whole lot of price overlap between a G500 and a Wrangler Unlimited in the used market and I don't see anyone saying that used Wranglers are for rich people. Only semi-related but i also find it kind of odd that so many people want an older G with a tiny engine and a 64mph top speed while so many of the Wrangler types keep asking for a factory V8.  Guess what has a 300hp v8: A used Gwagen that cost the same as a used wrangler with a 'minivan engine' v6.  

Meanwhile, I'm out here in a 340hp V8 Porsche Cayenne slower than your average 2018 half-ton pickup and mom's Volvo to boot. If yupididit gets a G we can take our 1%'er detritus rigs to the local mud drags for a throwdown because that makes about as much sense as anything else, really. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/2/18 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

I want the old two door G with the tiny motor. I want a super expensive German build Suzuki Samurai for no good reason. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
10/2/18 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

*******Generalization warning********

I really just meant that both are capable off roaders with military roots that are mostly bought by people that want to be seen in them and not those who will use their full capabilities. The Wrangler Unlimited crowd tends to go for brighter colors and LED light bars and the Benz crowd seems like they try to be a tad more subtle, but they both end up being mall crawlers for people that want to give the impression of ruggedness without actually having to be rugged. They're mostly status symbols that spend the majority of their lives out of their element. It's not much different than a Lamborghini in Manhattan, or the suburban dad who commutes in a giant diesel truck in my eyes.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/2/18 7:26 p.m.
yupididit said:
Wally said:

If I ever run into money the first thing I’m buying is a bright red G Wagen. Ok maybe the second thing I buy. 

Red 89 G Wagon in philly $15k

When I was a kid there was a dentist near me that had a grey market one in red with a white roof, steel wheels and plaid seats.  It was a two door but I think it was longer than that. I wanted one ever since. Now I regularly see a gray 6x6 monstrosity with Diplomat plates that I would trade what’s left of my kidneys for.  Completely impractical, and cool as E36 M3.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
10/2/18 7:30 p.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to Vigo :

I really just meant that both are capable off roaders with military roots that are mostly bought by people that want to be seen in them and not those who will use their full capabilities. The Wrangler Unlimited crowd tends to go for brighter colors and LED light bars and the Benz crowd seems like they try to be a tad more subtle, but they both end up being mall crawlers for people that want to give the impression of ruggedness without actually having to be rugged. They're mostly status symbols that spend the majority of their lives out of their element. It's not much different than a Lamborghini in Manhattan, or the suburban dad who commutes in a giant diesel truck in my eyes.

berkeley!

-I'd drive a Lambo in Manhattan. Check

-I drive a diesel truck 5 miles to work and back. Check

-I like bright colors. Check

-I have military roots. Check

-My F250 got stolen at a mall because I was mall crawling. Check

-I like to come off rugged but avoid being rugged when I can. Check

-I could certainly buy something almost as capable as a G wagon but not as pretty and without the "Presence". Check

You've not only described me as a buyer but you also described me as an SUV too. Man, I'm more like a G Wagon than I originally thought. Guess I have no choice! 

Anyone want to buy a 7.3 Excursion, XJR, and a 20ft car trailer? Also, I accept G Wagon donations. Guess my wife won't be getting her Audi S3 cheeky

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
10/2/18 7:32 p.m.
Vigo said:

These strike me as Wrangler Unlimiteds for rich people.

New maybe, but there is a whole lot of price overlap between a G500 and a Wrangler Unlimited in the used market and I don't see anyone saying that used Wranglers are for rich people. Only semi-related but i also find it kind of odd that so many people want an older G with a tiny engine and a 64mph top speed while so many of the Wrangler types keep asking for a factory V8.  Guess what has a 300hp v8: A used Gwagen that cost the same as a used wrangler with a 'minivan engine' v6.  

Meanwhile, I'm out here in a 340hp V8 Porsche Cayenne slower than your average 2018 half-ton pickup and mom's Volvo to boot. If yupididit gets a G we can take our 1%'er detritus rigs to the local mud drags for a throwdown because that makes about as much sense as anything else, really. 

Bruh, let's be ruggedly posh together!

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
10/2/18 7:37 p.m.
yupididit said:
STM317 said:

In reply to Vigo :

berkeley!

-I'd drive a Lambo in Manhattan. Check

-I drive a diesel truck 5 miles to work and back. Check

-I like bright colors. Check

-I have military roots. Check

-My F250 got stolen at a mall because I was mall crawling. Check

-I like to come off rugged but avoid being rugged when I can. Check

-I could certainly buy something almost as capable as a G wagon but not as pretty and without the "Presence". Check

You've not only described me as a buyer but you also described me as an SUV too. Man, I'm more like a G Wagon than I originally thought. Guess I have no choice! 

Anyone want to buy a 7.3 Excursion, XJR, and a 20ft car trailer? Also, I accept G Wagon donations. Guess my wife won't be getting her Audi S3 cheeky

At least my stereotyping is accurate...Glad I could help you make up your mind!

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
10/2/18 7:40 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

This time but let's end it at me and G Wagons lmao

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
10/2/18 7:43 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Definitely not a habit I want to get into. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/2/18 10:13 p.m.

The Lambo in Manhattan isn’t as bad an idea as it seems either.  I see them regularly and they never look uncomfortable doing it and those wonderful noises are even better echoing off the giant concrete buildings of Midtown.  They certainly provide a welcome break from the usual blandness rolling around.

Years ago as a bus operator I was working my way down 5th Ave around Christmas time when a yellow Diablo pulled up next to us at a light and a couple little kids in the bus started going nuts. I pointed them out to the driver and he started laughing, winding the thing out and “trying” to keep up with us light to light. The kids (and a couple adults) were laughing like mad.  It went on for a few minutes until he got some clear road and disappeared into the night.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/18/18 5:56 p.m.

Well,  we have a deposit down on a 2015 CPO G550.  It’s coming from the West Coast,  so  pics and more details when it arrives.  This will replace my wife’s 2012 Wrangler.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/18/18 7:30 p.m.

Congratulations!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/18/18 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Thanks!  Here is a pic from the ad.  It’s blue with black and grey interior.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
11/18/18 8:15 p.m.

Land rover Defender vs range rover 

G wagon vs x5

Fj 40 vs land cruiser

The bone cracker based core off road versions have retarded resale values and rarely leave the pavement and the citified versions sell for peanuts and get thrashed to death by serious off roaders.

Perhaps I should have replaced range rover with disco although those are kind of split here between soccer Moms and off roaders.

grover
grover HalfDork
11/18/18 10:45 p.m.

Congrats! That’s quite the upgrade. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
11/18/18 11:54 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Tony Sestito said:

I want one of these. I even want the stupid little cages over the turn signals. 

Me too. I am liking the 2 door.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 New Reader
11/19/18 8:16 a.m.
Cotton said:

In reply to Wally :

Thanks!  Here is a pic from the ad.  It’s blue with black and grey interior.

Hodamn that blue is sharp. I am very curious to hear about your ownership experience, these have been on my "should own" list for ages.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/19/18 8:28 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Vigo :

I want the old two door G with the tiny motor. I want a super expensive German build Suzuki Samurai for no good reason. 

In other countries...

Get a body kit for your Suzuki Jimny.  

https://www.motor1.com/news/276459/suzuki-defender-g-class-kit/

The Little G and The Little D

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/19/18 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Brake_L8 :

Thanks,  my wife was set on a blue one,  so I’ve been looking for months.  It’s easy to find black,  silver,  and white,  but not blue.  Finally found this one in CA and it checked all the boxes,  so we jumped on it.  It will hopefully be on a truck and headed to TN by the end of the week.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
11/19/18 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Cotton :

Man that color is beautiful. I'd love a gunmetal one. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/19/18 2:51 p.m.

That’s a really pretty color.  I thought I wanted red but Manhattan Mercedes has a metallic orange one hanging from the ceiling that really stands out.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lOrUyeMFBgqG6yiY8mYpT9foJuzNiXFVsx5wdc46U3Nk0KqVNHiJsQpcpztFoW6Q