1 2
GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
7/21/22 10:20 p.m.

Joilet is being sold to warehouse developers from what I hear. There's already warehouses near it which is a sign that anything close by is next.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
7/22/22 6:25 a.m.

Those turns make my brakes hurt.  1 and 6 must have a fence between them huh?  

Normal roads are at least five lanes wide, how is there not room to pass, it only take two car widths plus a couple inches to pass.  Or are we talking about equally powered cars that need a mile plus to have room to pass?

I would go watch this, we just need a bus route and somewhere for a GRM crew to meet.  Grand Rapids had a one year only GRGP, engines echoing off buildings sounds great for miles.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/22/22 7:11 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Grand Rapids race was cool but having to overnight quikcrete the manhole covers down because of the transam cars aero wasn't fun...

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
7/22/22 9:33 a.m.

I can't wait for this to be an utter E36 M3 show like the Baltimore street circuit. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/22/22 1:57 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

In reply to akylekoz :

Grand Rapids race was cool but having to overnight quikcrete the manhole covers down because of the transam cars aero wasn't fun...

When the world sports car championship raced on Montreal they ducked a manhole cover off leading to a crash and fire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_480_km_of_Montreal

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/22/22 1:58 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Those turns make my brakes hurt.  1 and 6 must have a fence between them huh?  

Normal roads are at least five lanes wide, how is there not room to pass, it only take two car widths plus a couple inches to pass.  Or are we talking about equally powered cars that need a mile plus to have room to pass?

I would go watch this, we just need a bus route and somewhere for a GRM crew to meet.  Grand Rapids had a one year only GRGP, engines echoing off buildings sounds great for miles.

Traditionally for nascar martinsville is the hardest track for brakes.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/22/22 6:59 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

Why don't they just weld the manhole covers E36 M3 like we do for parades and New Years?  They don't budge. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/22/22 7:39 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/22/22 9:20 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Been there, done that 

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/a1689301/look-back-soldier-field-chicago-once-hosted-nascar-cup-race/

And racing there was promoted by Andy granatelli

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/23/22 1:08 p.m.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/23/22 7:44 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Well Scott Dixon and dario franchitti got robbed at a Taco Bell near indianapolis motor speedway

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
7/23/22 8:33 p.m.

Yank the barriers at 1 and 5 to make it a figure-8 track. If NASCAR is going to keep doing these stunt races, go all out.

Cheeks
Cheeks New Reader
7/25/22 11:24 a.m.

gene and judes and some nascar, might be worth the drive 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/25/22 6:37 p.m.

This joke of a race replacing Road America on the Cup schedule is pure stupidity at its finest.  I thoroughly enjoyed the RA race this year and the year prior, as apparently did the other 120,000 plus fans there both years.  Yes, I'm po'd.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/25/22 7:30 p.m.
slefain said:

Yank the barriers at 1 and 5 to make it a figure-8 track. If NASCAR is going to keep doing these stunt races, go all out.

Andy granatelli did all sorts of stuff promoting racing at soldier field he had drivers on contract who put on a show and usually didn't win. He would have dummy's fall out of the ambulance.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/25/22 7:55 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

X10 - RA is an awesome place and Chicago is going to fumble this.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
7/25/22 8:39 p.m.

I would rather it replace one of the dates at a place like Pocono that has two races, almost always sucks and is a miserable fan experience rather than RA but I'm looking forward to it. Every time they tried something different there was a chorus of "It's going to be terribles!!" And most of them worked out fairly well. I'm happy they're trying something different.  

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
7/25/22 8:53 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

This joke of a race replacing Road America on the Cup schedule is pure stupidity at its finest.  I thoroughly enjoyed the RA race this year and the year prior, as apparently did the other 120,000 plus fans there both years.  Yes, I'm po'd.

Oh, Road America replaced Chicagoland didn't it? And this replaces Road America. Now I really don't like it.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
7/25/22 8:54 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I would rather it replace one of the dates at a place like Pocono that has two races, almost always sucks and is a miserable fan experience rather than RA but I'm looking forward to it. Every time they tried something different there was a chorus of "It's going to be terribles!!" And most of them worked out fairly well. I'm happy they're trying something different.  

I like Pocono but once a year is enough. Maybe their contract didn't expire in 2020 like a lot of the other ones did.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/25/22 9:25 p.m.

Once Pocono got with the plan and opened the infield to campers they got a great turnout for last weekend's race.  But, once a year is enough.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
7/25/22 10:05 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Pocono will likely keep their second date for a long time, I believe they've had a connection with the France family since they opened iirc.  I haven't been there in 20 years but I remember every time we forget whst an awful track it was and went back we regretted it. Between having the stands on the wrong side so the trioval is as far away as possibly, the almost daily storms, and fairly dull racing interrupted by serious crashes it's probably the least deserving of two dates.  

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/25/22 10:25 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to GCrites80s :

Pocono will likely keep their second date for a long time, I believe they've had a connection with the France family since they opened iirc.  I haven't been there in 20 years but I remember every time we forget whst an awful track it was and went back we regretted it. Between having the stands on the wrong side so the trioval is as far away as possibly, the almost daily storms, and fairly dull racing interrupted by serious crashes it's probably the least deserving of two dates.  

And  how they were able to get away with years with its poor Safety  and pavement for years 

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
7/26/22 7:03 a.m.

You guys are confused. Pocono is already down to one Cup race per year. Their race was this past weekend and apparently they had a huge crowd on hand. I don't see Pocono going away completely. There are already 6 road courses on the schedule and I don't think there's an appetite for more than that at the moment, so if you're going to run Chicago, they had to get rid of one of the existing road races (COTA, The Glen, Sears Point, Indy, Roval, RA). 

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
7/26/22 7:35 a.m.

NASCAR's schedule is intriguing to me.  36 races, plus some exhibitions, no more, no less.  Then you factor in what the fans want (more short tracks!) with what tracks NASCAR owns, SMI owns, and what shows well.  Now factor in your markets (Texas losing a points race to COTA but they get the Allstar race) and you end up with somebody that isn't happy.  

I like Pocono (I know it isn't the topic of this thread) but 2 races unnecessary.  I like Road America but it didn't necessarily lend itself to a good Cup race under the current format (stage breaks, which the series did to itself).  If you add Chicago, you have to drop a road course and RA is the easiest and most likely candidate.  I like Indy but the Cup cars don't really race there all that well...but it's Indy, there is no way that NASCAR is going to give up a date there over Road America. 

From what I understand, this year's RA weekend had one of the lowest TV viewerships of the whole season.  Sure, 120k people came to watch the race...but TV dollars drive the sport, unfortunately.  I experienced the same thing at Bristol last year for the night race.  Stands were half full for the NIGHT RACE!!!! and a playoff race, but it doesn't matter...TV ratings were great!  

There's also a change in leadership within NASCAR in the last 5 years that has been very positive.  They have loyalty to those that have helped build the sport (teams, sponsors, tracks) but the series is willing to compromise for the good of the sport.  

Now contrast that with F1...oh, we need 18 weekends..no 20, no 23!  USA is a huge market (which is true), let's get them 3 races!  We may need to drop Spa because the money from the track isn't that great...oh well.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BAModXECjCCDDCORFaE2T5CvGMu7Ec3mZu01EdvP7Ab3CuGriAoNgvPotdpMbLPf