Dootz
Dootz Reader
10/21/19 5:02 a.m.

Whenever I'm out driving nothing happens, but as soon as I'm parked for a few minutes the temperature gauge starts rising noticeably. Start driving off again and it cools down again.

Bad water pump? Clogged cooling system? Don't think it's the fans, but I'd have to check again. I have noticed some smoke coming from the area between the back of the intake manifold and the firewall so there's presumably a leak, but nothing's ever hitting the ground. While this is happening, I have noticed an odd 'pepperjack cheese' smell that goes away when the car cools down.

God I hate this car.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/21/19 6:05 a.m.

My guess is thermostat. It's broken or sticking and the increased pressure from driving around forces more coolant past it and increases airflow enough to compensate for the restriction. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/21/19 6:10 a.m.

Sounds like the fan to me.  Impeller on the pump,  t stat. All possibility's. 

Dootz
Dootz Reader
10/21/19 6:34 a.m.

I have also noticed my A/C's been very weak and kinda crappy/warm. Not sure if that helps simplify the problem down

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
10/21/19 6:43 a.m.

My guess is the CCRM (constant control relay module) that controls the fans (and ac!) 

gunner
gunner HalfDork
10/21/19 7:25 a.m.

I've had this happen with just a bad radiator cap.  When it no longer held pressure it would do exactly what you describe.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/21/19 7:39 a.m.

How are your coolant fluid levels?  Are you loosing coolant?  But, not dripping coolant onto the ground?  

Dootz
Dootz Reader
10/21/19 7:49 a.m.

I have also replaced the radiator cap recently as well as the radiator itself (water pump too - all of this has been done within the last 5k miles).

When the car does overheat, I loose coolant in minor amounts - but yes, none of it hits the ground

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/21/19 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Dootz :

That's normal if the engine is shut off.

Engine running, check fans.  Most don't tun on till around 200+F.  So again, could be normal

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
10/21/19 2:38 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

Switch the ac on with the ignition on/car off.... 

Fans should come on. 

tester
tester New Reader
10/21/19 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Dootz :

Have you burped the system? It could have air trapped air in the system. 

Dootz
Dootz Reader
10/21/19 5:21 p.m.

I did burp the system before (and there were definitely air bubbles), but the issue remained (just a slight improvement)

b13990
b13990 Reader
10/21/19 5:40 p.m.
Dootz said:

God I hate this car.

I had a 2001 Mustang GT. Beautiful, reliable car. Ran 13s in the quarter-mile 100% stock, and would do 155 mph (indicated) on a long-enough stretch of highway.

Drove it for almost 7 years, and the only thing that ever broke was the stupid little idle air motor.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/21/19 6:07 p.m.

How are you measuring the temps to know it is overheating?  

dj06482
dj06482 UltraDork
10/21/19 6:43 p.m.

I would +1 the advice to check the fans based on your symptoms. Sounds like a bad CCRM could be responsible for all your symptoms.

In addition, check the back passenger side of your intake where the heater hose connects in from the firewall - those are known to crack. 

Did you fill up the coolant passage on the back of the intake before putting on the heater hose? That’s the coolant fill procedure from the factory service manual. I’ve never seen it on any other car, so I wanted to mention it. I had good luck using that method to start and then putting the from two wheels up on ramps.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
10/23/19 7:46 a.m.

I'm also betting fan.

Jayclay
Jayclay New Reader
10/23/19 7:51 a.m.

Air bubbles in the coolant most of the times is from a weak head gasket.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
10/23/19 8:26 a.m.

Sounds like a fan issue.  Since your car is new and doesn't have a fan clutch, I vote CCRM too.  Ever since Ford started using them on the 94s, I've always kept a spare around.  

Dootz
Dootz Reader
10/23/19 5:23 p.m.

Found fan to be shattered :/

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/23/19 6:15 p.m.

So we all were right, at lest most of us.

curious as to how it got shattered

Dootz
Dootz Reader
10/23/19 7:10 p.m.

Beats me - the propellers are all connected to another, but they're all broken off the center spinning mount as a whole

Very strange

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
10/23/19 8:55 p.m.

Intake manifold/thermostat housing likes to break on these motors so I would check that first thing.

If that isn't it...

Just LS swap it and call it a day.

chief8one
chief8one Reader
10/24/19 5:17 a.m.

Had a similar issue with a V6 dodge shadow.  Farted around with everything until i noticed half my radiator fins were missing never leaked just would start getting hot.. fans were running etc.  Swapped to a different radiator never had another issue.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JT08dVe8ndNpxtS1z2BKlActQvSrrbH89mjq2jdzvVVn8Mu8JrFs98qRlv2oqnR4