In reply to Tom1200 :

Not many choices to race downtown. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/4/23 4:41 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

Not many choices to race downtown. 

I get it and for sure I've seen layouts that were much worse.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/4/23 5:33 p.m.

Well definitely a good at race.

Lots of hip checking.......Rossi my.be quite unhappy.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/4/23 5:34 p.m.

Great race by Palou.  Even when Power passed him with the better tires, he didn't let him check out, and passed him back prior to the last pit stop.  Easily the fastest car out there.  

Some fun driving right behind him, though.  Too bad there was a yellow to mess up that chaos and let them restart.  

Brutal track, though.  I sure hope long term they can smooth that out a ton.  Which would make downtown even more appealing to visit.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/4/23 5:35 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Well definitely a good at race.

Lots of hip checking.......Rossi my.be quite unhappy.

Had to make up for the gap in the Stanley Cup Final.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/4/23 5:35 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Yeah smoothing it out would probably make for even more passes.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/4/23 6:10 p.m.

The track raced better than I thought it would. It's certainly a weird one, with wide open fast areas and super narrow tight ones. It didn't seem to have much flow, but I suppose that comes with the territory. And it was very bumpy. But there was still a good amount of passing and action. And more than a few single-car accidents, too....

NBC sure loves them some Flavor Flav, don't they?

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
6/7/23 10:35 a.m.

Palou looks F1 ready however, F1 Mclaren would be a disappointing direction with the inconstancies. I bet Palou could bag a couple more championships and a indy 500 win before he reaches a podium in F1. It will be interesting how Indy Mclaren team works out with Palou next year moving over.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/17/23 5:42 p.m.

So Will Power has made a lot of friends in Wisconsin with those comments.

It's ok to be really mad a Grojean (although that mad?), but Dixon made a mistake, and you then did that?  Then when you suck at driving, it's not the fault of the track, especially off the track where you are not supposed to go.

DIdn't exactly calm down the attitude.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/18/23 3:44 p.m.

Figured I could watch this race after the F1 race.  Nope.

Indy really, really, really needs to change who covers them in the country that they race.  For F1 to be on ABC and ESPN2 at the same time, and the RA race to be streaming only- seriously?  And the times are at the same time?  That makes a rather easy choice to watch.

bumpsteer
bumpsteer Reader
6/18/23 7:03 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Indy really, really, really needs to change who covers them in the country that they race.  For F1 to be on ABC and ESPN2 at the same time, and the RA race to be streaming only- seriously?  And the times are at the same time?  That makes a rather easy choice to watch.

While I had to find a bootleg stream to watch indycar it was much more entertaining than the bits of the F1 race that I did see, and there was actually a real amount of contention for the lead until the last stint.

Agreed on the whole USA/Peacock thing but unfortunately that's just the way it is for racing (especially when NBC has the US Open on). NASCAR has the same types of situations and F1 was only on ABC because it's a North America race. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/18/23 8:37 p.m.

In reply to bumpsteer :

It may have been better, but I'm not willing to put in the effort.  Given how many races I've seen in the last decade, I'm at peace with it.  I'd rather watch more Indycar, but I won't if it's not on basic cable.  Just like if F1 goes streaming, I'll stop watching it, too.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
6/19/23 7:30 a.m.
alfadriver said:

IndyCar was on USA Network. My DVR picked it up no problem and I watched it after the F1 race with no special streaming subscription. I guess it would be cool if they avoided going head to head with each other but I like watching Indy on tape delay because I can fast forward through all of the commercials. 

Also, Palou is starting to stink up the title chase. 

6/19/23 8:48 a.m.

Yeah, I'm not sure what issue you had, Eric. It was on basic cable, the USA network. It was waiting for me on my DVR when we got home last night.

I feel like Grosjean is pushing too hard to finally get that win. He owes the groundskeepers at RA some money for all the grass he tore up yesterday. Not sure what happened to Rossi, he had a rocket all weekend but kind of disappeared in the race. But man, poor Colton. He had the field covered, and then one bad strategy call at the end did him in. And of course Palou was there to pounce, he always is. He's starting to look like a younger, faster version of Dixon.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/19/23 9:36 a.m.

I have developed the opinion that either Rossi or his car doesn't work on restarts.  In the last portion of the 500, with all the restarts, he lost at least one position every green.  He got swarmed a bit on the last few at Road America, too.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/23 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Hm. Looked on the tnt and tbs, not USA. Given the Stanley Cup was on those two channels, replacing nbcsn, I figured it would be there first. 

It's nice to know I'm missing something, but at the same time, thanks to years of not really knowing- I don't miss it that much. 

6/19/23 12:41 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I have developed the opinion that either Rossi or his car doesn't work on restarts.  In the last portion of the 500, with all the restarts, he lost at least one position every green.  He got swarmed a bit on the last few at Road America, too.

He claimed on "Off Track" that tons of people were jumping the restarts in the 500 and not being penalized for it.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/19/23 6:55 p.m.

What did Will Power say about Road America and/or Wisconsin?  I missed that somehow.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/23 7:44 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

about how crappy the off track is.  really laid into it after he drove off track.

6/19/23 9:34 p.m.
alfadriver said:

about how crappy the off track is.  really laid into it after he drove off track.

Well, there's a pretty easy solution to that. laugh

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/23 10:56 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
alfadriver said:

Well, there's a pretty easy solution to that. laugh

My thoughts exactly.  

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
6/20/23 8:22 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

He claimed on "Off Track" that tons of people were jumping the restarts in the 500 and not being penalized for it.

Yeah, the restart with three to go, Newgarden gets passed by Ericson before they get to the line.  Santucci almost got him too.  It's why I'm glad they did the one lap shootout, because Ericson didn't deserve the win for that move.

Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
6/21/23 4:57 p.m.
racerfink said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Yeah, the restart with three to go, Newgarden gets passed by Ericson before they get to the line.  Santucci almost got him too.  It's why I'm glad they did the one lap shootout, because Ericson didn't deserve the win for that move.

I'm a Joe New fan so happy with the result but I was under the impression once the green flag is displayed in Indycar you can pass, regardless of the start/finish line, is that not correct?

stroker
stroker PowerDork
6/21/23 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Region_Rat :

That's my understanding.  It's been a long time since I paid any attention to Indycar, though.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
6/21/23 11:36 p.m.

In reply to Region_Rat :

Yes, but you are not allowed to create a gap and accelerate before the leader reaches the restart zone.  That's why Ericsson had twenty mph on Newgarden before the bricks.

5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9CdaddCFMl5oHpj2oA7lLLoqUFBVCC25ZwWgf9GeLOxItP7Kbr9FxMTFHynbBUaJ