1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/23/23 3:09 p.m.
feature_image

There’s a joke here about having to carry a bicycle because your Volkswagen broke downbut we won’t make it. Instead, we’re here to extol the virtues of having a small car with a trailer hitch.

See, cars aren’t our only stupid hobby. We like to burn time and mon…

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/23/23 3:21 p.m.

See, cars aren’t our only stupid hobby. 

My stupid hobby is paying too much to take photos using a nearly-dead format.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/23/23 3:54 p.m.

I put a similar Curt hitch on our 2005 Mazda MPV for the exact same reason.  In nearly 14 years of service, I never pulled a trailer with it, but the hitch rack is definitely the way to go for bikes.  Enjoy!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/23/23 4:10 p.m.

I was interested until I saw it's a 1 1/4" receiver. Nope. 

Tom Suddard
3/23/23 4:27 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Idk, there's three different receiver sizes on my property at the moment. This is plenty of capacity for this car. 

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/23/23 4:40 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

I mean nothing that car is realistically capable of towing or hauling is heavier than a 1-1/4 receiver can handle. And adapters exist.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/23/23 4:47 p.m.
dps214 said:

I mean nothing that car is realistically capable of towing or hauling is heavier than a 1-1/4 receiver can handle. And adapters exist.

Class II is 1 1/4, and the rating is 300lb tongue weight or 3500lb trailer weight.

That is heavy enough to make a trailer brake a good idea!

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/23/23 4:53 p.m.

I put one of those hitches on the Spark. I plan to race at least three series this year, province wide, and I'm not into paying $150 in gas for a day of racing. A lightweight bike trailer is about half done and I'm working on a rear rack for the trials bike since it's only 150lbs.

Pretty sure my 1 1/4" is rated at 200lbs

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/23/23 5:11 p.m.
Peabody said:

I'm working on a rear rack for the trials bike since it's only 150lbs.

Pretty sure my 1 1/4" is rated at 200lbs

Yeah you're probably not going to want to do that. The hitch might be rated 200lbs of tongue weight, but 200lbs on a trailer ball is a lot different than 200lbs of bike and rack cantilevered an extra foot or more out from the hitch.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/23/23 5:27 p.m.

Well, it's not 200lbs and it won't be hanging out that far. It'll be closer to the car than the ball, and supported on the top with a strap to the top of the hatch. I'm not new to doing out of the ordinary things with success. I may have put some thought into it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/23/23 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

One of my friends used a hitch rack to take the snow tires for his Miata to events.  Yumpy roads on the way to one event bent the chassis from the weight of four mounted NB wheels/tires swinging up and down.  It worked great until it didn't.

That may have been the impetus for him deciding to tow the Miata to distant events... with a Golf smiley

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/23/23 7:31 p.m.

All of my truck-ish vehicles get a 2" receiver rear AND front.  If you've never positioned a trailer or launched a boat using a front-mount hitch, you're missing all the funz.

Right now I'm building a folding hitch carrier for the van that will double as a bike rack and for the generator when I camp.  I might also make a wee tent for around it and make it a bathroom as well, depending on the remoteness of the camping.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/23/23 8:24 p.m.

For more than one season, we towed our Alfa with a Class II hitch- never had a problem with it.  It was under 3000lb, but the weight on the hitch was still about 250-300lb.  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
3/23/23 8:32 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Idk, there's three different receiver sizes on my property at the moment. This is plenty of capacity for this car. 

My experiences with bike racks on 1 1/4" receivers has been extremely negative.  They bounce all over the berking place.  I've seen friends' racks break. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
3/23/23 8:40 p.m.

I really prefer 2" receiver hitches for bike racks and such. It's just so much better for keeping stuff from rocking from side to side. 

Tom Suddard
3/23/23 9:05 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

My experiences with bike racks on 1 1/4" receivers has been extremely negative.  They bounce all over the berking place.  I've seen friends' racks break. 

Check out 1UP USA, their rack is pictured and the thing has been rock-solid for nearly a decade across a bunch of different cars and bikes, with a fair bit of that time spent stored outside 24/7. It goes off-roading on the back of the Trooper, too. 

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
3/23/23 9:10 p.m.

I have a chunk of an exercise machine that fits a 2 inch receiver. I mounted a bigass plate on it with holes that are supposed to fit my vice and my mini tire changer. Helpful sometimes.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
3/23/23 9:25 p.m.

After I out the hitch on the Outback I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner. 

It's handy for transporting my dirt bike and bicycles.

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
3/24/23 2:06 a.m.

I wouldn't buy a 1.25" receiver because it doesn't seem strong enough. Plus I already have a bike rack, a rear support arm for the back of my Kayak and a small trailer with a 2" ball.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/24/23 5:45 a.m.

If you've never towed an empty 24' enclosed trailer with a Jetta you really have never lived. Also, I don't recommend this.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/24/23 5:57 a.m.
67LS1 said:

I wouldn't buy a 1.25" receiver because it doesn't seem strong enough. Plus I already have a bike rack, a rear support arm for the back of my Kayak and a small trailer with a 2" ball.

All of the weight of the front of your car, as well as all cornering loads, braking loads, loads from slamming into potholes, etc, are focused on about .5in^2 of steel loaded in tension/single-shear on each side.

Even 1 1/4" receivers are massively overbuilt for what they have to do.  They're generally stronger than the thin sheetmetal they attach to.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
3/24/23 6:38 a.m.

Those 1up racks are awesome! My friend has one on his Tacoma and it's amazing how solid it is!!

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
3/24/23 7:31 a.m.

The hitch limit is in line with that vehicle.  I would not put a 1 1/4 hitch on my silverado but have one on the subaru.

The problem is not the hitch, it is probable slop in the receiver.  Any looseness is amplified due to the physics of it, and you will feel it when driving.  Not all hardware fits properly, but there are basic clamps that will tighten up any movement.  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
3/24/23 7:44 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:
Tom Suddard said:

Check out 1UP USA, their rack is pictured and the thing has been rock-solid for nearly a decade across a bunch of different cars and bikes, with a fair bit of that time spent stored outside 24/7. It goes off-roading on the back of the Trooper, too. 

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

I seriously have experience with every type of hitch mount bike rack sold for over 30 years.  Any of them mounted to an 1 1/4" receiver is flexy at best. I've seen them break. All of them. 

You do you, but I will NEVER install one on any of my vehicles. Ever. And "never" is not a word I use lightly.

tb
tb Dork
3/24/23 8:11 a.m.

Timely, since I just bolted up a class 2 receiver on our family duty Cadillac as I have done for nearly every vehicle in the recent past. Planning a family vacation to Gainesville in a couple of months and could use the extra capacity. 

Like many disabled people, I use a small cargo carrier to transport my mobility scooter. Even my smallest, lightest chair made from magnesium mountain bike frames that folds up and disassembles for transport can be a heavy, bulky problem sometimes. Saves a ton of trunk space and makes traveling easier for me. 

Cargo platforms are also great for fishing and hunting when dirty, smelly gear is best carried outside of the vehicle. I use a heavy bike chain lock if I need to secure my moped, generator, etc..

I will probably add a receiver to my tiny 1 ton GLH so that dirty race tires can stay outside and clean camping gear can travel inside for weekend hillclimbs.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gKvmkScYq8eLlCYB5BV9LUrrboooOwyJ0mrbpR3wrCpl7V99XLSwQyU1gu9U5Z4x