1 2
rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
4/19/19 7:31 a.m.

More weight doesn't necessarily mean lower cornering speeds, it'll just typically require a bit more tire to get the speed back.  But more weight will typically mean a little worse transient response.  But if you're not often in super tight situations and you're not talking autocross, you're likely to gain more from higher speed on the straights than you lose in response or speed in a really tight spot.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/19/19 12:42 p.m.

@nimblemotorsports as I don't weld I have to console myself with planning.

frenchyd I do most of my own work but leave fab work to a friend, who if he likes the project, do stuff for me at a really good rate.

As for being thrown in with the V8 cars; with the 99whp 1500 motor I get put in the B-sedan group which consists of 510s & 2002s sporting 175-200whp and weighing 1900-2100lbs. I finished 9-10th out of 15-20 cars. When I was put int he small bore group I'd be 5th overall with the 1500 motor, with the 1200 motor (80whp) I've managed 7th overall out of 25 cars.  So I'm OK battling for 9th place.

Part of the impetuous for doing this is performance parts for V8s are abundant and cheap especially when compared to Datsun parts. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/19/19 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :  It would be nice to remove enough weight so everything remains pretty much the same.  So do you think your fab guy would be OK making fenders and hoods?  

If not You can check with your local fiberglass guys,  assuming you’re near a decent sized metro area.  If you don’t know who they are go to your local Fiberglas supply house  for recommendations.  

I’d offer to get my local guys to give you a quote but shipping costs would make things really expensive compared to what it costs to make them. 

As for running mid pack or whatever, it’s just that some of the guys in the V8 class have big ego’s handicapped by small talent.  I’d hate to see one of those ruin your weekend.  Especially since I know to do well in the small bore classes you have to understand momentum and how to drive.  Some Yahoo with his big tires and expensive motor might not be kind if you pass him and involve you in his accident when he’s trying to achieve what you did. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/19/19 2:57 p.m.

What happens when you put in a V8 and trans and it weighs 180lbs less than the one it replaced? 

wspohn
wspohn Dork
4/19/19 6:04 p.m.

An all alloy Ecotec weighs 307 lbs. then add in the turbo, piping etc. for another 50 or so.

Easy 400 bhp without going inside the engine.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/19/19 8:20 p.m.

An Ecotec motor at around 360lbs is only going to be 50-60lbs lighter but the larger problem is my fabricator is; A. a Ford guy and B. dislikes turbos, so I'd end up paying full fare on the work. Ecotec motors are a great package but it doesn't fit for me.

Frenchyd the group I run with stays on top of idiot driving so incidents tend to be few and far between. I have a reputation for driving the wheels of the car and being Mr four wheel drift  so people don't attempt to emulate that. Also with the V8 installed it would be more often used at track days as I'd likely switch to my single seater for vintage.

I used to be adamant about not wanting a front engined V8 car but given there is only 50-100lb difference and the parts availability it's getting hard to ignore the benifits. Of course if it turns out I can beat all the other C-sedan cars I'll keep running the hamster motor....

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/19/19 8:30 p.m.

Stop all this mental bs.  Just do it.  Send videos when it’s done. 

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
4/22/19 1:15 p.m.

When I decided to do a 302-based E36 chassis track car, I didn't know whether it would be a good package or not.  Turns out, it's a good package.  Even with just single-adjustable dampers and height-adjustable track springs, it's easy to tune the suspension for balance.  I think the only way to figure it out, is build it and see what you get.  That's half the fun for me.

One of the reasons I decided to do a 302 is it's cheaper than most of the alternatives, so I thought it would be a better option for the tryout.  Now that it's proved out, I'm spending the $$ to replace the stock 302/iron head motor with an aluminum head 347 stroker. 

My world-view on 302 weight is about 525# with the T5 and iron heads, then add headers and front accessories.  The JEGS aftermarket radiator I used fit in the same space as the stock BMW unit, though it was a little thicker, and I re-used the stock fan shroud and fan bracket, just mounting it up with a Volvo fan motor and blade that moves more air in the pits.  Coolant in the system is about 1.75 gallons. I used the stock power steering pump.  No clue about alternator weight.

I didn't try to locate the motor back towards the firewall and I'm glad.  Couple people on the internet that did that with the E36 and report breaking motor mount bolts pretty often.  I don't have that problem.  My mounts are over the subframe.  I couldn't have gotten it any lower even if I wanted.  There's barely enough room to get the center of the sump off the subframe and still be able to close the hood.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8YnwIHV2UVcy3BjCKl1aH3fJgOYxk4MaaeBGEz51VxBeCSzyzqPb4MD70Cj4mkMQ