1 2
donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/6/20 12:19 a.m.

so talking to my insurance today after buying the wife a new car I found that we can only have 4 cars insured... my son will be driving age very soon and my daughter is already driving so we've got 4 cars... I'm still thinking of a "toy" of some sort so would have to goto another insurnace company it sounds like.

knowing the GRM guys I know some of ya'll have run into this issue... who did you use/goto or did you use a special insurer for the toy? (which I suppose depends on what I end up getting).

so what is the answer other than getting rid of a kid/car lol.

thanks

Mark

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports HalfDork
6/6/20 12:55 a.m.

I use Safeco, when I added a fifth car, they told me they only allow 4 per policy, so they gave me a second policy number with one car for my 5th car.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/6/20 3:00 a.m.

In reply to nimblemotorsports :

was the price seem reasonable to what it would be if you could have another on the regular policy? 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/6/20 7:18 a.m.

State farm.  We have 5 cars and a trailer right now but have had up to 8 cars at a time.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/6/20 7:30 a.m.

We've used State Farm and Farmers, currently with the former for five vehicles. I do have several of the hobby vehicles with Hagerty, though, as that works out considerably cheaper than having them on a regular policy.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
6/6/20 7:48 a.m.

3 cars with Hagerty, 2 with our regular insurance company. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/6/20 8:09 a.m.

6 cars, three drivers including my 17-year old son.  Just switched from Erie to Allstate.  Allstate's rates for young drivers was the difference.  Motorcycle I have insured through GEICO.

I have talked to Hagerty about the RX-7.  They will also insure the motorcycle, and maybe even the truck.  I need to make that move.  Won't save much, but it's better insurance.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/6/20 8:12 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

State farm.  We have 5 cars and a trailer right now but have had up to 8 cars at a time.

This.  We've had State Farm for decades.  They give multicar discounts and we've had as many as 7 on at a time.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/6/20 8:14 a.m.

I use a broker and thus am with an insurance company that doesn't buy TV ads :) EMI, maybe? But I have multiple policies because there's only four per policy.

The classics are with Hagerty. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
6/6/20 8:48 a.m.

I have a low value classic insured though JC Taylor for cheap (stated value) since they were much cheaper than hagerty. I have my other 3 through MetLife since they were the cheapest. Did collision coverage only on my cheap two vehicles and comprehensive on my "third" and it was very cheap. Shop for quotes and go with the cheapest is my approach. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/6/20 8:54 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:

I have a low value classic insured though JC Whitney for cheap (stated value) 

Do  you mean J.C. Taylor?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/6/20 11:29 a.m.
Duke said:
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

This.  We've had State Farm for decades.  They give multicar discounts and we've had as many as 7 on at a time.

Counting the trailer, I had 7 on State Farm until recently.  The BMW is no longer street legal (and was massively underinsured through SF anyway), so I moved it to an agreed-value storage/transport/paddock policy with Lockton and had them do the comprehensive on the trailer at the same time.

Hagerty wouldn't write me a policy on anything unless it was stored in a locked garage.  My trailer doesn't fit in the garage, so...

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/6/20 11:31 a.m.

I use Geico for the street cars and Grundy or Haggerty for my RX7 

The race cars are not insured

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
6/6/20 12:07 p.m.

State Farm for my car, truck and house, Geico for my 2 motorcycles (way cheaper than SF) and Hagerty's for the MGB. I looked into putting my car/truck on Geico, but the savings over SF didn't make up for the higher home insurance. Maybe later I will change things around.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/6/20 12:17 p.m.

I use progressive for 6 cars.

With full coverage on 3, it's about 140 a month

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/6/20 12:48 p.m.

I've been using Geico and Progressive for many years with at least 3 cars on the policy, usually more.  Tried Erie since I wanted to suppor the local guy, but they only had regular 9-5 service which didn't work well for me and number of cars I go through.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
6/6/20 2:49 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
Olemiss540 said:

I have a low value classic insured though JC Whitney for cheap (stated value) 

Do  you mean J.C. Taylor?

Edited. Its definately one of the Taylor Whitneys.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/6/20 3:09 p.m.

I have a USAA policy that I like to use when I buy a car to immediately add it to my policy using the app. I think I have had up to 10 cars on it at once. That policy only has my wife and I as drivers. I use Shelter Insurance on a few other cars that are often driven by my daughter and that keeps her off of my USAA policy. I don't think that you can split out a driver if they are in the same household (She has her own apartment in town). Otherwise, I'm a +1 for Haggerty for a hobby-car based on hearing many other people's experience.

State Farm for me. 7 cars, 2 RVs, 2 boats, and the house.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
6/6/20 6:23 p.m.

Allstate maxes out at 10 vehicles, but you can add another policy if you have more than 10. Geico max is 5 IIRC.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/6/20 10:07 p.m.

Heacock for the m coupe and corvair.  Armada, 4 runner, trailer and street legal golf cart on state farm.

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/7/20 1:02 p.m.

We have 3 regular use cars on a SafeCo policy and 5 classic/collector cars with Hagerty. Until yesterday, we were with Infinity Auto for the 5 classic/collector cars, but Hagerty took over their policies in this state for some reason. I had Hagerty previously but had to leave because their prices went absolutely nuts for a couple of our cars, despite there being zero claims and the cars being very limited use and worth under $20k. They're price-matching Infinity for the first year, but I'm afraid of what will happen when we have to renew.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/7/20 1:42 p.m.

Had travelers for 8 years.

last 7 years, Geico 9 cars & 4 motorcycles 

tried Hagerty for 4 cars, price was way more than Geico. Didn't make sense monetarily 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
6/7/20 11:42 p.m.

If you have any significant assets outright, I suggest getting your kids cars in their own name only, then insurance policies with lower limits on their own name only, then being strict that they only drive their own cars and not yours.  This all limits your liability when they crash into someone.   Source: 15 years in the industry.  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
6/8/20 10:58 a.m.

I have USAA and insure 5 cars + a 30ft enclosed trailer. I keep 3 of them on garage/storage status most of the time and their app makes it easy to change that around. I know their service isn't available to everyone so I'll note that my parents use State Farm with their 4 cars and a similar situation. 

It costs like $12 a month per car for garage/storage status for both State Farm and USAA. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x1hyXfcLX8iTeENAaZcfeldvYnQEp04da1OTa9ctnTiMHeb8qY6ctWJzdLVU4sZS