Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/3/11 10:53 a.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/03/ford-announces-two-recalls-more-than-30-000-vehicles-affected/

Interesting story. Apparently some 14K body control modules could short out and catch fire (were those the "day shift" recall ones?). The interesting part is the first time around Ford tried to use software to read the codes in the modules, but they were "reading the wrong numbers". Uh huh. Anyways, now they have to look at them all again, but they haven't said how. I imagine physically this time.

It just strikes me as odd because the NHSTA usually gets pissed when a recall has to be re-performed and the excuse and solution are a little on the vague side.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
3/3/11 10:56 a.m.
Javelin wrote: The interesting part is the first time around Ford tried to use software to read the codes in the modules, but they were "reading the wrong numbers". Uh huh.

So the Toyota investigation that showed the code wasn't at fault could have been flawed?

Ford also had the electronics on their cruise control shorting out and causing fires. I had one.

Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
3/3/11 10:59 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: Ford also had the electronics on their cruise control shorting out and causing fires. I had one.

From a E36 M3ty brake switch on the master cylinder. To which they installed a fused harness to fix it. The real solution was to put on a new switch, but then you have to supply the switch and bleed brakes afterwards. Time is money......

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
3/3/11 11:07 a.m.

Yup... They had us do a delivery hold, then cancelled it due to lack of parts I think. The fire problem was resolved rather quickly because most of the vehicles hadn't hit the streets yet. There are still some faulty ones, but they're just bad programming.

At least that's what I remember from the Bulletin they sent us.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PWoAXsMieDuYycdhRNQKO3oj4SP4pHxzNmMPVIZ66F8Qddlr0MZ7g5eduAgnRdhf