1 2 3
wae
wae Dork
3/12/17 7:55 p.m.

I was all dead-set on getting rid of the conversion van and replacing it with a crew cab, 4x4, pick-em-up truck when I accidently tripped across a listing for a Mercedes-Benz GL320. It's a 3-row AWD SUV that can tow 7,500 pounds with a turbo diesel and that's really super nice inside and I'm looking at the 2009-2012 models. I was hoping to be able to truck things, like drive a scoop of mulch around the house or throw dirty stuff in the bed and drive it around town, but the three-across bench seat in the back was going to be pretty tough for any non-camping road trips (of which we have to do a couple a year to see my wife's folks).

I can't really do truck things with my van today, so I wouldn't really be missing any functionality. 90% of the driving that I do involves not pulling anything behind me and is going to and from work/local customer sites and taking kids to do kid things in kid places. For most of my work driving, I rent cars so I'm not putting tons and tons of miles on cars these days. It'd be nice to be able to throw an engine in the bed of a truck and head to the scrapper, but I can always use the trailer for that, so I think I'm willing to sacrifice the utility of a truck.

The real question is will a modern German unibody SUV with a modern German turbodiesel attached to a modern German AWD eleventy-billion speed automatic transmission be something that kills me when it comes to maintenance and break-fix work? My trailer and car have a combined weight of about 4000-4500 pounds, so I wouldn't be right on the limit, which is nice. Am I tempting fate by asking that transmission to pull that kind of weight?

PS, anybody wanna buy a Ford conversion van?

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
3/12/17 8:45 p.m.

I have nothing to input about the vehicle in question, but I'll offer this re: SUV vs pickemup truck. I had pickemup trucks for a few years. They all had caps on them. They did truck things, like towed my utility trailer, hauled engines (it was tricky getting in with the cap), slogged down dirt roads to go hunting, etc.

After I sold the last one, I got a penalty box. I missed being able to do truck things, so I ditched the penalty box and got... an SUV. It can tow, haul and hunt, just like a pickemup. I like the shorter OAL, too. It's a 4-door, so can seat just as many as a CC pickemup. If I need cargo space, the seats flip down to a space larger than a CC pickemup bed - no, I wouldn't want an 8' bed giving it the turning radius of the QE2.

I love my Expedition, but my next SUV might be German. Cayenne prices are almost getting grassrooty.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
3/12/17 9:01 p.m.

Don't have much to add except if you drive less than 10k a year that's just one oil change.

Also interested in the consensus.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
3/12/17 9:21 p.m.

I'd drive a Cayenne before any Mercedes SUV.

At least the Cayenne has significant brand-sharing among three manufacturers. The Mercedes mostly has "berk you pay me".

wae
wae Dork
3/12/17 9:31 p.m.

Cayenne is out - no third row.

My other cross shopping is the Armada, Yukon, Suburban, Expedition, and whatever the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser is.

Or, you know, a truck.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
3/12/17 9:33 p.m.
wae wrote: Cayenne is out - no third row. My other cross shopping is the Armada, Yukon, Suburban, Expedition, and whatever the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser is. Or, you know, a truck.

What "truck" has a third row? Dismissing the Cayenne for that reason is invalid.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/12/17 9:42 p.m.

After dealing with the VW diesel gate fiasco, I missed my pickup ability.

Between 2 kids and smwbo, I have an avalanche now. Found a 4wd '13 model with 35k on it for less than 30k. Sure I'm dealing with some sitting around issues but nothing I would or could knock it for badly.

wae
wae Dork
3/12/17 9:43 p.m.
RealMiniParker wrote:
wae wrote: Cayenne is out - no third row. My other cross shopping is the Armada, Yukon, Suburban, Expedition, and whatever the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser is. Or, you know, a truck.
What "truck" has a third row? Dismissing the Cayenne for that reason is invalid.

True statement. But I'm willing to Sacrifice the truck bed for the third row. The Cayenne would give me neither of those!

Also, I think the idea of a Porsche anything-that-isnt-a-two-door-performance-car is kinda douchey, so I'd go with the Touareg if that was the option.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
3/12/17 9:57 p.m.

In reply to wae:

Yeah, I hear you about the Porsche-with-more-than-two-doors. The VW is appealing, too.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
3/12/17 11:57 p.m.

Think you should go on benzworld or mbworld instead of asking the hive. We're just gonna tell you to get a miata, p71, or a severely depreciated German performance car. We're not good at recommending actual real life purchases.

In my opinion, I dont think modern Mercedes SUV's are to be feared. Everyone I know with a GL love them and only replace them with a newer one. But, they're all v8 GL's.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
3/13/17 8:16 a.m.

Three row SUV that can tow...... We did this last week and Suburban is still the Answer here.

I swear everyone who buys a 'burb keeps one in their fleet from then on. Mine hadn't moved in a month until this weekend but it was ready to roll when asked.

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
3/13/17 8:28 a.m.

A used crew cab 4wd truck won't depreciate like the MB. And when it breaks, you can get parts and service for one anywhere.

Then when you pass that killer free couch on the side of the road, you don't have to go home and get the trailer.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
3/13/17 8:46 a.m.

I'll agree with the Suburban recommendations. It's basically a truck with more body where the bed should be, so its towing abilities are pretty close to a 1/2 ton pickup. Most of the other SUVs fall a bit short in that respect.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/13/17 8:51 a.m.

Also going to give another recommendation for the Suburban. There's a reason that it's so well-liked.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/13/17 8:52 a.m.

We raced two seasons of SST120/F2 tunnel boats towing with a ML320.

The GL320 can tow.

Hell the E320 can tow.

The important thing to remember about towing is stopping. And that requires a proper setup. If you like the GL, set it up with a proper hitch and brake controller and be happy.

Mercedes are very competent tow vehicles.

photo outfit.jpg

wae
wae Dork
3/13/17 8:59 a.m.

Aw man... so now I'm digging through 'Burban ads. That's a lot of truck for the money!

The GL320 and GL350 are much nicer inside though...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/13/17 9:02 a.m.

Let Me repeat...THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH TOWING WITH THE GL!

Suburban is the typical American "More!!!" answer. The GL is an engineered answer. If you are towing within the rating of the GL, go with it.

I will say this about the Suburban it will tow. Especially the 2500 series. The problem is when you aren't towing. It isn't comfortable and in gerneral a fuel hog.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
3/13/17 9:08 a.m.
wae wrote: The GL320 and GL350 are much nicer inside though...

With three kids, how long will the GL stay nicer inside?

Oh, the Lexus IS an LX470, and as I understand, does not have the greatest third row. But then, it should pretty much last forever. If full size crew cab trucks still have the interior space my dad's 2001 Supercrew had (they'd better, considering how much bigger they've gotten), three wide in the back row shouldn't be too horrible.

If you don't want the length of a suburban, don't the shorter full size GMs still have a third row, just less cargo space?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/13/17 9:15 a.m.

I've chimed in before but I'll do it again: 2005 Yukon XL Denali AWD 335hp 6.0 that I paid $3,500 for. Had some "I have out-of-control kids" interior mishaps and a couple small dings but was otherwise great and still is.

Seriously a LOT of truck for its price.

(And since we're expecting 20" of snow tomorrow...)

yupididit
yupididit Dork
3/13/17 10:10 a.m.

Maybe he wants something nice and capable.

wae
wae Dork
3/13/17 10:17 a.m.

So far I'm hearing that it's not something that's going to sneak up on me in the middle of the night and blow through every penny in my wallet, so that's encouraging.

I'm not opposed to the Suburban or Tahoe, but I really like the idea of having a nice comfortable luxury SUV. I just fear things like what Mazdeuce is going through with his Mercedes. I realize we're taking about two very different things, though.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
3/13/17 10:36 a.m.

My friend has one and he loves it. It hasn't had any maintenance issues. I've driven it, and I love it. If you're ready for a little luxury, I think this is a great choice. Ditto on the suggestion to check on brand-specific fora and see what the community maintenance experience has been.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
3/13/17 10:48 a.m.

I think any vehicle will have issues eventually. If that's what you're afraid of then don't buy anything. If you can afford it though go for it. Luxury cars are very rewarding even with their faults. Last few years I've been driving some sort of 4 door luxury car as a DD. I could go get a cheap, easy to fix, and fuel efficient civic or focus and make that my DD... Been there before, but I've spoiled myself with these depreciated luxo-barges. So, I just swallow the bill or whatever other bs to keep driving something that makes me happy. Until I can fit a Cayman S into my life along side a bi-turbo v12 Mercedes and a full size truck. Okay I'm just ranting about nothing.

TL;DR: Do it!

wae
wae Dork
3/13/17 11:15 a.m.
yupididit wrote: TL;DR: Do it!

Wife approval was conditional upon getting this answer from my "goofy car friends", so game on!

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
3/13/17 1:26 p.m.
wae wrote: Aw man... so now I'm digging through 'Burban ads. That's a lot of truck for the money! The GL320 and GL350 are much nicer inside though...

And how much of their cheapness is because of all of the deferred maintenance that YOU will have to deal with?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hPJLV5PK4N7d0FwPVgwlGZHP4SLIbLtCVhfq7yizezWTY75vmsceGWIfNaLTTbel