1 2
codrus
codrus SuperDork
5/22/17 1:16 p.m.

It sort of depends on how you define "keep it nice".

There's no question running miles at the track involves significantly more wear than miles on the street. Regular track days will wear out the drivetrain, brakes, and suspension much sooner, even if there are no major "weak points" in the vehicle. OTOH, that's all stuff that you can fairly easily replace when keeping up with maintenance.

Lots of gees and bumps will make the interior pieces squeak and rattle faster. That's harder to fix. I have been told that lots of hard cornering will also loosen up the unibody over time, which is very difficult to fix.

McFly09
McFly09 New Reader
5/22/17 8:32 p.m.

I appreciate all the straight up advice. I'm sure it's easier with autocross than track use. I'm not a track driver, that is just something I'd like to get into at some point and Harris Hill is 45 minutes from my house so I've been considering it for a while. It sounds like there are at least a few of you out there that have that same want/need to keep it clean, and also enjoy the detailing process at times. I do have a lift and I am guilty of washing the underside of my cars. If I can enjoy whatever my next ride is in the form of autoX, or a little track time I think it will also help create car/owner bond in a way that cleaning it just can't do. You've gotta have some history with a car other than just cleaning it. I'm not a wealthy guy so that makes the cost of a car and keeping it nice (maintaining it's value through the cars general good condition) important to me so I'm hesitant to do anything to diminish its value. I should just find a 1st gen RX-7 and call it a day. Many thanks for y'alls honest advice.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QP49wlhQM8Bf0R8fDowDuwAeT6DIkfhdVt0iDuiwxe74JOGr4fMJBD0OrO5NhAiN