mdgalv
mdgalv New Reader
10/19/16 11:39 a.m.

My stepsons 1999 Mercury Mountaineer is being retired from service and really has no trade in value to speak of. What i was wondering is if people think its worth holding onto for its guts.

155K Miles 5.0 with GT40P Heads and Truck Intake (cast version of GT40) 8.8 Rear end with 3.73 gearing and limited slip. mounted via leaf springs currently

The truck itself is rusty and was hit on teh right side. Right front ball join I suspect is shot.

Would this stuff be worth anything in the aftermarket for say a GRM challenge team or maybe someone with an older Mustang (60's) to swap or any other swap for that matter?

What do you think this stuff would sell for? I have no idea.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Marc

Stampie
Stampie Dork
10/19/16 11:43 a.m.

Sounds like something I'd try to buy for $300 and part out to end up with a free engine, transmission, and rear axle for the Challenge. But I'm a cheap bastard.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
10/19/16 11:46 a.m.

You'd probably get more by parting it out than you would trading it in, but it's going to take time and work on your part (Not only to remove the desirable pieces, but also to store them, list them for sale, and monitor those ads, etc). The engine and axle would be desirable, but neither one is especially difficult to come by so prices won't be super lucrative.

I think it comes down to how much you value your time vs money. If you're willing to spend the time and do the work you might come out ahead financially. You may also spend all of the time and effort to only make a couple of hundred and feel that it wasn't worth the cost.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
10/19/16 11:52 a.m.

Cut off some weight. Make it a truggy. Hoon your favorite backroad.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/19/16 12:00 p.m.

It is probably wise to give some hints as to where you are located.

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
10/19/16 12:11 p.m.

That's a cam, valve springs and a sawzall away from a solid truck class competitor.

mdgalv
mdgalv New Reader
10/19/16 12:15 p.m.

Location is Bristol/Burlington CT.

Cost to me = FREE!!!! Just have to get it to my house from his apartment but might be able to convince his Dad to throw it on a flatbed and bring it over.

Truggy or some sort of variation of that sort did cross my mind. I have also looked at local ads to see if there were any cars sans drive train / cheap that this stuff could be put in. Anybody know of a Fox body mustang or the like around here cheap let me know.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/19/16 12:21 p.m.

Fox body Mustangs are popular and will cost. I would suggest searching out the much forgotten Fox Bodied Thunderbird or Mercury Marque as a real budget solution.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
10/19/16 12:28 p.m.

Winter is coming and prices of NA and NB miatas fall once it gets cold. You know what to do.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
10/19/16 12:34 p.m.

Find a blown up Ranger and make a Ford version of the Syclone....

crxmike
crxmike Reader
10/19/16 12:44 p.m.

In reply to mdgalv:

I'm right over in Thomaston, if I ever escape my seemingly never-ending pile of projects, including a 5.0 swap e36, I can come help turn it into a truggy.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
10/19/16 1:09 p.m.

Jeep guys love those rear axles because they have the are practically a bolt in upgrade for added strength and disc brakes. About $200

The engine is $400-600. Other than that I wouldn't think there is many real desirable parts.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/19/16 1:12 p.m.

The GT40P heads are the best of the iron junk yard heads and many vanished with cash for clunkers. The cast intake manifold flows better than the prettier fabbed GT40 upper intakes and can be ported to be even better. Pull the engine, or at least the from the short block up and get those parts on ebay ASAP.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
10/19/16 1:14 p.m.

The top end of the engine is worth about as much as the rest of the vehicle if you find someone too lazy to hit pick a part.

mdgalv
mdgalv New Reader
10/19/16 1:20 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I don't know if I could go that big, maybe a Fairmont.

In reply to captdownshift:

That is an option since I already own an NB.

In reply to KyAllroad:

When the offer was initially made I thought of going the Saleen XP8 route. But the body is too bad for that. So decent alternative. I wonder if that could just be a body swap.

In reply to crxmike:

Think a truggy can be registered in CT?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/19/16 2:00 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Find a blown up Ranger and make a Ford version of the Syclone....

this.. A big plus if you can find a "splash" or other sportsided ranger

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
10/19/16 2:17 p.m.

An alternitive to pull apart is the Title pawn stores they are covered up in re-po rangers or fox body cars and lots of them are non-running AKA- Cheep!/ scrap money,but here in Georgia they are in better shape, but NOT Rust Free.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/19/16 2:25 p.m.
GTXVette wrote: ...... Title pawn stores........

Are these a thing? I had no idea. Sad, very sad.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
10/19/16 2:33 p.m.

SAD is only the tip of the Iceburg, They won't loan enough to get any thing and at 50 to 75 a week you can't get them paid off (300%) intrest.It's a huge Scam that puts cash strapped people in a bigger Hole,and no car.

crxmike
crxmike Reader
10/19/16 5:06 p.m.
mdgalv wrote: In reply to crxmike: Think a truggy can be registered in CT?

Let's give it a shot! Alternatively, we could go to my girlfriend's family farm over in Bethlehem and take it off some sweet jumps.

mdgalv
mdgalv New Reader
1/9/18 11:41 a.m.

Update. I did end up saving this from the scrap yard however I will be moving unexpectedly. So, my nephew is now going to take this hulk to use the engine in his 204Z build.

It will be converted to a carb setup with a World Class T5 behind it. After a bit of convincing he is now planning on using a Subaru R180 rear diff to maintain the independent suspension.

Needless to say, I'm now his favorite uncle!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ HalfDork
1/9/18 8:16 p.m.

I had the Ford Explorer version of that same car.  5.0.  Good heads and intake.  3.73 gears.  I was amazed at the ballz it had.  Single speed transfer case though :-(

Mine had a really free flowing air filter too.  NONE.  It was a company car and the boss wouldn't reimburse me for a new filter.  Ran it like that until the lease was up.

mdgalv
mdgalv New Reader
1/21/18 10:37 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

It was a great family car. We then handed it down to my stepson who drove it until rust was too bad.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/21/18 1:31 p.m.
mdgalv said:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Marc

Time to 86 the Merc sheet metal?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S7UjlcmLm3YfeYNZLgGeYlFsYpbNyg1N1xhPKknTeGkxKr4yjSp2dTSGmGWl3faz