1 2
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/31/22 6:24 a.m.

In reply to PT_SHO :

And they can be the source of water in the chassis which is terrible.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
5/31/22 8:46 a.m.
PT_SHO said:

In reply to Noddaz :

Being vertically challenged (6'4, long torso) virtually any car with sunroof is unsuitable. Not willing to vote for banning them but won't drive one even as a rental.

I would just like the option not to have a hole in the roof with it's added complexity and weight.

Not that I will be in the market for a new car any time soon. frown

But back to the nw Civic Si.

It looks like a really nice car and the orange is stunning.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/31/22 10:12 a.m.

The best Civic Si was the 99-00 in Electron Blue. Now get off my lawn.

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
5/31/22 2:16 p.m.

In reply to madmrak351 :

The car growth is just part of automotive life cycle for all cars, not just small FWD. A Fit is WAY larger than the first Civics from the 70's, 10 inches + in wheelbase and ~1000 lb heavier, but it's roomier, safer, and probably more economical.

A model has to change and improve to attract new buyers or step-up buyers, and getting smaller isn't an accepted way to do that, except for the very rare performance car getting lighter on a total redesign.  Safety regs mean more steel, poorer visibility to improve rollover protection, etc.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/31/22 2:20 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

The best Civic Si was the 99-00 in Electron Blue. Now get off my lawn.

My wife is still bummed that I suggested that we sell hers. It was a terrific car, but having her in something with ABS, modern airbags, etc., also made a lot of sense. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/1/22 9:13 a.m.

The 8th gen Si was the best. 

I've had a version of every subsequent generation and they've only gotten more boring and bloated since. 

I really enjoyed my 10th Gen and I regret selling it. The fact that the 11th gen went up and price and lost features will make it that I likely won't own this generation unless I get a Type R. I get that Honda withheld features on the Si to incorporate into the Integra but E36 M3 that car is like $37k.....$2k more than the MSRP of a Type R. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/1/22 9:36 a.m.
PT_SHO said:

A model has to change and improve to attract new buyers or step-up buyers, and getting smaller isn't an accepted way to do that, except for the very rare performance car getting lighter on a total redesign.  Safety regs mean more steel, poorer visibility to improve rollover protection, etc.

Yes and no.  Safety regs do drive differences in design, sure.  But the Civic isn't huge because of safety regs, its huge because of the market / feature bloat.

Honda could easily make it much smaller than it is as evidenced by the existence of the Fit.

David S. Wallens
6/1/22 11:06 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

And look how well the Fit sells....

6/1/22 11:31 p.m.

I recently drove a 9th gen Si and that split screen dash is horrible!  I couldn't enjoy the K series engine at all because of the dash.

I'm going to drive a 10th gen coupe soon too.  I'm sad there will be no more coupes.  I really liked the 10th gen sedan I drove.  

Waiting for an 11th gen might be too painful.  It's been irritating so far.

David S. Wallens
6/2/22 10:21 a.m.

I don't mind the split dash in our '14 Si but, yeah, I do prefer the interiors of the later cars. (Don't tell my wife.)

I looooooooved our yellow '19 Civic Si. I'd own it if not for Covid–just couldn't justify a car purchase as the fate of the world was cloudy.

This new one, too, I do really like. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/2/22 10:43 a.m.
BDG said:

Weight is just a number on a spec sheet. If it handles better, goes faster, stops faster, grips harder, gets better mileage and puts up a better performance, how much does it really matter that it's one overweight passenger heavier? Would you ever know if that spec wasn't published?

Tire and brake wear.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/2/22 11:59 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I recently drove a 9th gen Si and that split screen dash is horrible!  I couldn't enjoy the K series engine at all because of the dash.

I'm going to drive a 10th gen coupe soon too.  I'm sad there will be no more coupes.  I really liked the 10th gen sedan I drove.  

Waiting for an 11th gen might be too painful.  It's been irritating so far.

Man that's a great laugh for the day. I've never heard of someone not being able to enjoy a car because of something that they shouldn't focusing on when driving. It's there to glance at - and it does a great job of putting the speedometer, a shift light, and fuel level in spot where you're not taking your eyes to far off the road. I loved the dashes in the 8th/9th gen. The 10th and 11th are pretty boring and meh. 

The base model cluster offering in the 11th gen Si just so the Integra A-Spec could have the full digital dash is a slap in the face to Si die-hards. Especially when the Canadian Spec Si gets all the bells and whistles. Not sure why Honda hates the US market so much. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/2/22 12:13 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

I tried to find an 8th gen SI to daily. There must not be many left in existence with stock suspensions and intakes. 
I bought a 2008 coupe with the R18/5 speed. It's slow, but it's a great platform and I've gotten 33 MPG driving 80+.

6/2/22 1:56 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I don't mind the split dash in our '14 Si but, yeah, I do prefer the interiors of the later cars. (Don't tell my wife.)

I looooooooved our yellow '19 Civic Si. I'd own it if not for Covid–just couldn't justify a car purchase as the fate of the world was cloudy.

This new one, too, I do really like. 

Your articles convinced me to go drive one, and I was never a Honda fan boy.  I get it now and for my new commute, it will be great.  I just need to decide 18 coupe or 22 sedan.  I drove a 19 Sedan and it was incredible. 

6/2/22 2:01 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

I get it.  You like it.  I teach people about wine all the time.  Wine is all about figuring out what you like and appreciate.  I absolutely hated the split dash and found it super distracting.  I haven't hated a dash this much since the C4 digital dash.  It's a deal breaker for me. 

Everyone loves a C5 Z06 too, but someone here did not.  Personal preference is a real thing when it comes to car looks and interior design.  Some love driving new Camaros, and a lot of people do not.  

And tons of people here hate Subarus too.  I have a lot of fun in mine.  That's what makes this site hood though; variety.  I love seeing all the different builds and cars.  Single marque stuff is boring.

And I would much prefer to have the tachometer in the east to view spot compared to fuel level.....  Porsche does a great dash.  TACH, SPEED.....  everything else small.  That's how it should be.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SWRecsgFHWFbmh4mrOSdh83xc5oUM98nuR382z9x531P9jjZDiuVTXlGwiZYtzok