Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/24/22 12:59 p.m.

Audi S4 is what you want and need. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/24/22 1:08 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

the other half doens't like the idea of a Kia Stinger.

That's too bad, I was thinking about it before I got to this part of the post, it seems like the perfect fit. So I'll +1 a Genesis G70, should be easier and cheaper to service than the German options and will blend into the background even more easily than the Stinger.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
3/24/22 1:16 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

If the intended use is an occasional track car, I have heard that the G70s disappointingly fall on their face on track, despite having all the right boxes checked on paper. That's a car that really needs a N version.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/24/22 1:26 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

370Z + a couple suspension tweaks?

it's telling no one has suggested a G37 - Q50 Infiniti sedan.  It's basically an embiggened 370Z.  Are these that bad to drive? Or unreliable? (never set foot in one, and it has a traditional auto trans or manual if you can find one)

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
3/24/22 1:39 p.m.

I was thinking about the previous generation.  It is quite heavy.

2018 Volvo Polestar review

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/24/22 1:46 p.m.
yupididit said:

GLA45 devil

This is 100% the answer 

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
3/24/22 1:50 p.m.

Is a Pontiac G8 too old? Used Panameras are cheaper than a Type R and are maybe more fun to drive than they look?

chaparral
chaparral Dork
3/24/22 1:53 p.m.

If "occasional track use" is important you should either just buy the Type R, get a Cadillac, or get a Fiesta ST.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
3/24/22 1:56 p.m.

Golf R is the grownup version really. Definitely no where near as engaging and honestly I found mine a little dull. I sold it and replaced it with my current BRZ. 

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
3/24/22 1:58 p.m.

I was looking at Type Rs and Focus RSs but went with a 2020 Si sedan a couple of years ago.  I'm not a track guy but an autocrosser and occasionally run my Si (and it makes me seem like a better driver than I am). The Type R and RS were cooler on paper and had some better numbers, but the Si is more grown up and so much better as a daily. Pretty fast, handles well, amazing brakes, comfortable, 40 MPG when I drive like a grown up.

David Wallens tracked a 2019 or 2020 Si coupe a bunch of times so hopefully he'll chime in.  He drives a few other cars every year too... 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/24/22 2:10 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Elantra N?

First reply, still the right answer.

rickjames
rickjames New Reader
3/24/22 2:45 p.m.

If your only objection to the 370Z is the lack of doors, from what I understand the Infiniti G37 sedan is basically a 4-door 370Z with an oval clock. 

pointofdeparture
3/24/22 2:53 p.m.
bobzilla said:
93EXCivic said:

Elantra N?

First reply, still the right answer.

Perennial Honda fanboys Car and Driver just confirmed yesterday that they think the new Elantra N is superior to both Honda and VW's offerings. I feel like that is pretty high praise.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a39430142/2022-honda-civic-si-hyundai-elantra-n-vw-jetta-gli-compared/

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/24/22 3:03 p.m.

We just bought a Tuscon hybrid, which has nothing to do with this thread, aside from them having an Elantra N on the floor.  I had to admit, it was roomy, very nicely appointed, and checks off a lot of your boxes.  Plus, that flat grey color is 'fast standing still' attractive, without being over the top, IMHO. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/24/22 3:15 p.m.

Geez, the Elantra N sounds surprisingly good too!  The styling is an interesting take on the sports sedan, looks kind of squished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=48&v=m5dn2sgN9kU&feature=youtu.be

79rex
79rex HalfDork
3/24/22 3:20 p.m.

4 door civic SI seems to check the boxes.  slightly less performance as a trade off for the toned down visuals.  And if its just a backup track toy/daily.  Dont see why it wouldnt work

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/24/22 3:22 p.m.

If the N is too rowdy, I was looking at the N-Line manual earlier. 201hp6-spd manual with all the modern conveinences for $25k. That screams "smoking deal" to me

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
3/24/22 3:23 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Not bad at all, but why does it sound like it has an 800 lb flywheel? Sounds really sluggish/slow revving I guess, even though it obviously has plenty of juice.

pointofdeparture
3/24/22 3:35 p.m.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

AFAIK that's an emissions tuning thing that affects a lot of modern vehicles.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/24/22 3:36 p.m.

Find a CTR in black?  They look a bit less "F&F" when all of the black trim isn't as noticeable. 

If that's the car you want, get it and screw the optics.  Hell...  a black CTR is less "shouty" than a Vette.  Life is short. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/24/22 4:18 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Find a CTR in black?  They look a bit less "F&F" when all of the black trim isn't as noticeable. 

If that's the car you want, get it and screw the optics.  Hell...  a black CTR is less "shouty" than a Vette.  Life is short. 

That's actually a very true statement. Corvette shape draws the eye much more than what most people would think 'some random hatchback' of a type r. Stock type r is really quiet btw. Quiet as in I was behind one last summer in suburban traffic with my windows down and you would never know it was a 300hp Civic.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
3/24/22 5:09 p.m.

I got one in white and I'm 61.  It's amazing!  But then again, I don't care what others think!wink

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
3/24/22 7:09 p.m.

How about a 6 speed V6 Accord Coupe? Newer Civic Sport hatch with the turbo?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/24/22 7:10 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:

it's telling no one has suggested a G37 - Q50 Infiniti sedan.  It's basically an embiggened 370Z.  Are these that bad to drive? Or unreliable? (never set foot in one, and it has a traditional auto trans or manual if you can find one)

Big, heavy, and remarkably slow.

They seem to be decently reliable, at least.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/24/22 8:02 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:

Big, heavy, and remarkably slow.

They seem to be decently reliable, at least.

E36 M3, three strikes.  That sucks, seems like they would be solid performer on paper, but that platform is heavy for what it is. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TxVFzXtvKxg2tvYYRWXjPDWXdhzibWja7uVId4AK1Qx6NrZ3pnThpOEf0QlaXhgu