4 5 6 7
Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
4/5/22 6:40 p.m.

The GR Corolla would get my money over the Civic Type R... rally designed adjustable AWD system that can take 100% of power to the rear... not interested in FWD based performance cars. Is a few hundred lbs heavier though...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/8/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

The thing is, we have no idea on pricing or availability yet. Same thing with the 2023 Type R.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/8/22 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Hahaha, that guy blinking is actually a friend of mine. So funny to see Drew's face show up here.

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
4/8/22 10:13 a.m.

I just noticed Toyota is making this thing. Corolla GR.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/grcorolla/

Edit: Aaaand of course right above me someone already posted that aaand there is another threat about it right on the front page.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
4/8/22 3:13 p.m.

I admittedly don't know anything about them, but I popped over to Mazda's website and see that a brand new 6, with a turbo, starts at 25K essentially...... It might just be worth a look especially since they have started to try and go more upscale on the interior front.

Will it be comparible to a type-r? Well no, but it may work in the meantime for your needs while you justify that 911 purchase :D 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/8/22 7:36 p.m.

In reply to LifeIsStout :

Good thing is, I normally don't need to justify a 911 purchase

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
4/8/22 11:59 p.m.

As the former owner of a Stinger GT I respectfully suggest you drive one.  Kia really did a good job on the car.  I sold my 2020 Mustang GT and subsequently purchased a 2021 Stinger GT and felt zero letdown in terms of performance.  The hatchback is quite convenient and the ride is reasonable.

My ultimate reason for selling it on was that there wasn't much foot room under the driver's seat with me in it.  I am tall so I like to have the seat on the floor and in the Kia that's a deal breaker for larger rear riders (like my 13 year old).

Other that that issue, I really see a lot of good in not only the concept but also in the execution of that car.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/7/22 10:58 a.m.

Had part of this discussion with my other half last night as we also need to find a replacement for her Range Rover.

So apparently, as long as it's two pedals, a Cayman or 911 would make the need for a Range Rover somewhat obsolete.

Hmm.

Now to find a PDK-equipped car that costs less than our house...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/7/22 8:45 p.m.

Oops,  I may have found something that's got spousal approval already, but annoyingly it's on the other side of the country.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/7/22 10:39 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Well this post leaves a very dissatisfying conclusion.....  you keeping it a secret so we don't buy it out from under you?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/7/22 11:30 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Nah, not worried about that. It's just very early in the process and when I posted the above, I hadn't even heard back from the seller yet.

The car in question is a 997.2 Carrera S Coupé with a PDK and a somewhat unusual color/options package. First task is to figure out how I can ideally see the car in person and also get a PPI done. 

5/7/22 11:38 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

A 997.2 to replace a Range Rover....  interesting. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/8/22 8:52 a.m.

Curious to know how a cayman or 911 is a replacement for a Range Rover.  They do very different things...

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
5/8/22 9:35 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Coming from the guy that replaced a Golf R with a Landcruiser lol cheeky

5/8/22 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

All of the sudden my replacing a Z71 Colorado and a Tiguan with a Z71 Tahoe and a Civic Si seems to make more sense.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/8/22 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Exactly.  I needed what the Land Cruiser could do vs the Golf R.  A cayman/911 can't do what a Range Rover can.  Now I certainly support the decision to buy a cayman/911 tho!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/8/22 6:20 p.m.

Well, we don't really need the Range Rover in addition to the Wrangler, which makes this definitely-not-like-for-like replacement feasible. Plus if I managed to bag the sort of Range Rover I was trying to get, we'd still need a winter beater anyway.

Even though my wife mentioned in the past that she did like the looks of the Cayman, we both prefer 911s, so that's what I'm hunting for now.

5/9/22 12:43 a.m.

A 911 winter beater...    Can you bring it to the next NTX Rallycross too?  Can I codrive? 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/9/22 8:11 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Not quite - it's more a case of having a winter beater in addition to the 911 (or Range Rover) for that matter.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/10/22 8:49 p.m.

Turns out I have to visit my dentist at short notice, and he is in driving distance of said Porsche.

Should have more news in a couple of weeks.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/26/22 10:37 p.m.

Oh boy, predictably I shook hands on a deal. Car got a clean bill of health with some minor notes from the local Porsche dealer - I think this was the first time I had a PPI done and then drove the car.

I'm a sucker for 911s in unusual colours, and this one qualifies. Teaser picture when I get home, which United willing will be on Saturday.

This is the most money I've ever spent on a vehicle, let alone a used one. But 997.2 Carrera Ss with PDK that aren't black, grey or silver are a rare commodity. In fact I'm aware of two for sale that qualified when I was looking. The other one is in Indianapolis, has a lot fewer miles on it but it's at a dealer and I didn't want a rust belt car even with the low miles. This car has lived its whole life in the Southwest (AZ, NM and CA).

But what's even better than a stupid berkeley-it-you-only-live-once purchase?

One that involves a cross-country road trip. Yep, the plan is to fly back out here and drive it across the country the week of Fourth of July. Oddly enough, like Tim Suddard's recent 997 purchase, this one wants new (front) tyres as the old ones  have plenty of meat left, but are a bit old. I'd call them borderline aged out - date code is 2015 and I'm not sure that I want to risk driving something that cost me as much as the rest of my fleet put together (and then some) and experience a tyre failure somewhere along the way. Especially something that is still a tad quicker than your average bear, err, minivan.

Anyway, when I asked my wife if she'd be up for a road trip, she immediately said yes. That pretty much sealed the deal over having the car shipped. Plus I need some time off anyway, I realised we're almost halfway through the year and other than a bout with the non-bottled 'rona in January, I think I've taken 2-3 days off so far.

Oh, and it looks like I may have to clear out parts of the fleet. Anybody interested in a mongrel BRZ (2013 car with 2016 engine, 2020 intake and tail lights) that should have all the suggested track mods?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/26/22 11:26 p.m.

Oh, forgot to mention - I suspect this car will be my last "serious" ICE car, as in non-hobby-mobile. I think I've driven the future (a friend let me drive his Taycan, complete with a demo of the launch control) but it's still somewhat unevenly distributed, at least according to my wallet.

5/27/22 3:06 a.m.

My Si will allegedly be built the week of June 22nd.  I should have an assigned VIN in a few weeks if that's true...

This wait seriously has me looking at other commuter options.  An ND can get 34+ mpg but it's a lot smaller, and not sure I'd like an RF or committing in a vert every day.  ND prices are harsh right now too.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/27/22 8:05 a.m.

So according to GRM FIRM testing list, the Elantra N is faster than the Type R. It's in print so it must be true.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/27/22 8:16 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

My Si will allegedly be built the week of June 22nd.  I should have an assigned VIN in a few weeks if that's true...

This wait seriously has me looking at other commuter options.  An ND can get 34+ mpg but it's a lot smaller, and not sure I'd like an RF or committing in a vert every day.  ND prices are harsh right now too.

A ND seems to be a good commuter car. My ex- has gotten near 40 MPG out of her 2016 LE.  And she is known for a lead foot.

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2SJwyGh6Ki2BECyTHb9tukCoyAUm7R5yrB7J124tAFAiXnY6pHlfoh3i7p6RoEwe