1 2
chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/4/21 5:49 p.m.

I looked but didn't find one; thinking about a 128. Probably auto since it'll be my extra car for the drivers in the family as well as a bit of fun driver. Any horrors? Any suggestions?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/4/21 7:00 p.m.

I am intrigued by the 128i and there was some recent chatter in this thread.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/4/21 7:01 p.m.

Suggestions? Sure: don't buy an automatic.

Seriously, they're fun, fairly simple cars; probably the last BMWs that one might call simple with a straight face. As usual, buy the best one you can find, and expect to put money into it. It's very similar to the E9x 3-series, so there's a fair bit of interchange. Not bad to work on. Similarly sized to an E30, with worse visibility but better interior flexibility (the rear seats fold). If you can find one with the sports package you'll get much - much - better seats.

I've had mine for a while, and there are a few other owners here. If you have specific questions, ask away.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
7/5/21 3:46 a.m.
chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/5/21 6:22 a.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/5/21 6:49 a.m.

It was this or the S197 Mustang that we ended up with.  I love the N52, and that chassis is lovely.  Two issues -- no limited slip (not the end of the world), and limited room for tires up front.  But absolutely "right sized".

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/19/21 1:02 p.m.

The one I found and am looking at is an automatic, it's reasonably cheap with 130k on the odo. Anyone know of a sub 10k manual in good condition? This one is $7k

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/19/21 1:52 p.m.

Here you go: https://www.excautogroup.com/details/used-2009-bmw-1-series/77701545

That's a near-clone of my car. Being an M-Sport manual, I don't expect it to last long.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/19/21 2:58 p.m.

Perfect, thank you

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/25/21 6:09 p.m.

Stinky, I had two to go look at yesterday. First one was a blue auto msport with 147k and as we pulled up a fellow with a big smile was wheeling it out of the parking lot with temp tags. Doh! The one posted above is 2+ hours from me so I called to make sure it was still there and it wasn't. 

I'll keep looking, think this is the way I want to go

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
7/25/21 7:26 p.m.

We have a 2010 128i M-sport 6-speed with all the boot-ons, other than a power adder. Coilovers, intake, headers, exhaust and a bunch of very expensive BMW Motorsport carbon parts. We bought it with pretty much everything already installed.

The car is awesome. I've owned a lot of BMWs and this is one of my favorites. Certainly not the fastest but maybe the most fun!

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/29/21 7:14 p.m.

Test drove two this week, neither were particularly nice but it did firm it up that this is the car I'm looking for. Thanks all!

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
7/29/21 7:33 p.m.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/29/21 7:35 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

When you find one that looks promising, don't wait. There are so few manual 128is (relatively speaking) that they seem to sell very quickly. Not saying you should buy the first one you come across obviously, but there seem to be at least as many WTB ads as FS ads for manual 128is on 1Addicts.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
7/29/21 7:40 p.m.

Add in the M-Sport package and the number drops quickly from the already small pool. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/29/21 7:56 p.m.
02Pilot said:

In reply to chandler :

When you find one that looks promising, don't wait. There are so few manual 128is (relatively speaking) that they seem to sell very quickly. Not saying you should buy the first one you come across obviously, but there seem to be at least as many WTB ads as FS ads for manual 128is on 1Addicts.

I saw that, the wtb ads outstrip the for sale ads. The Msport cars are few and far between.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
7/29/21 8:59 p.m.

These are so rare without a moonroof, I don't fit otherwise.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
7/30/21 7:04 a.m.
chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/30/21 7:06 a.m.

Dang, that's a long way.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/7/21 11:27 a.m.

2010, sport, not M

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/7/21 12:54 p.m.

Hot damn! 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/7/21 2:03 p.m.

I'm pretty stoked, it drives like a dream. The others I drove all had "something" I didn't like or felt like I was going to be working on it the next weekend.

now, to find a set of LMs and a trunk lip.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/7/21 2:18 p.m.

Tan seats rather than black seems classy. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
8/10/21 8:21 a.m.

That's an unusual color combo. Sort of reminiscent of the 80s/90s cars. Did you get any service history? Is it modified at all?

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/10/21 9:33 a.m.

It had zippo for records, it was run through carmax and an employee purchased it. It promptly needed a power steering pump which set him back $1k at a shop so he unloaded it saying he couldn't afford that kind of ownership. He had a Volvo S60 R so I think he couldn't afford 2 of those types of ownership. No mods that I can find beside the black grills which is an acquired taste. 

It was a three year lease to 50k then sold through BMW select and that owner had it to 150,000 when it came to me through the aforementioned route. It was reasonable so I'm figuring on dropping some money on maintenance if BMW can't provide the history. I've had good luck with BMW dealers sharing that info in the past. The color is what nailed it for me, also when I ran the options the black out trim, m sport suspension and little else helped. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L5lqGd2fCFGcAywxFPAH34sJuxON5vvKtD914nyiJosr6BfiJAId1EdDaAXWw2Ok