In reply to jstein77 :

I know a guy, actually. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
3/6/18 11:14 a.m.
westsidetalon said:

I was counting on this generation to end smokingno

and start shooting up heroin!!!

but we decided meth was a better way out for some reason...

Gus
Gus New Reader
3/6/18 11:36 a.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

Man, I dig that RX7. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/6/18 11:42 a.m.

I spent quite a few years driving a car that was too low.  I eventually grew up, realized I didn't drive the car much anymore because it was a pain in the ass, bought new springs and enjoyed the car again.  Then, I bought an SRT4 crashed, swapped everything into an RT body, bought a set of stock SRT struts with Tein springs on it.  Couldn't drive over a dime at more than 3mph without hitting the bumpstops.  Found out that Chrysler still had stock springs available, put them in, and enjoyed the car again.

I also put Walker Dynomax mufflers on everything.  Bought a Flowmaster once, threw it away.  Did I mention I'm 57?

Race car stance works on a race track.  It looks great.  I hate driving it, and have come up with a saying- "Tool, not sculpture".

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/6/18 11:48 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I spent quite a few years driving a car that was too low.  I eventually grew up, realized I didn't drive the car much anymore because it was a pain in the ass, bought new springs and enjoyed the car again.  Then, I bought an SRT4 crashed, swapped everything into an RT body, bought a set of stock SRT struts with Tein springs on it.  Couldn't drive over a dime at more than 3mph without hitting the bumpstops.  Found out that Chrysler still had stock springs available, put them in, and enjoyed the car again.

I also put Walker Dynomax mufflers on everything.  Bought a Flowmaster once, threw it away.  Did I mention I'm 57?

Race car stance works on a race track.  It looks great.  I hate driving it, and have come up with a saying- "Tool, not sculpture".

Bag it?

aw614
aw614 New Reader
3/6/18 11:50 a.m.

I noticed a lot have Azenis or R888s lol, but I dont mind the look, just wish some of them would show up to some autox events or trackdays instead of making excuses (the ones local to me). 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/6/18 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

That's why I ended up with the Koni/Eibach combination that I did on the MS3. Firmer but only lost half an inch of ride height. I love the look of practically ground scraping lowered cars but I hate living with them.

The RX-3 is getting bags or air struts for exactly that reason.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/6/18 12:15 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

That's why I ended up with the Koni/Eibach combination that I did on the MS3. Firmer but only lost half an inch of ride height. I love the look of practically ground scraping lowered cars but I hate living with them.

The RX-3 is getting bags or air struts for exactly that reason.

Koni/eibach was my initial plan with mine. H&R then showed me shiny objects. You know how that goes. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
3/6/18 12:43 p.m.
fidelity101 said:
westsidetalon said:

I was counting on this generation to end smokingno

and start shooting up heroin!!!

but we decided meth was a better way out for some reason...

Kids want instant gratification, smoking takes too long to kill you. Heroin is much quicker.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
3/6/18 12:45 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I'm 51.  Still haven't grown up. 

I know where the speedbumps are that I can't get over. 

I know where the smoothest routes are, and drive additional miles to take them. 

Live the low life style.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/6/18 1:10 p.m.
edizzle89 said:

i feel like there is starting to become a new, higher end, widebody scene. With how big Liberty Walk widebodies have become im starting to see more and more of these types of cars around. what i would call somewhere between a 'super clean drift car' and a 'well done stance car' for the streets, might be mostly to and from car shows and events, but still atleast get driven.

My buddy from college owns a high end shop in Florida and builds similar cars. they have been to Sema and still get street driven somewhat regularly.

When the defining feature of a car is an insanely expensive widebody kit, I call it a high-fashion show car.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
3/6/18 3:18 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
edizzle89 said:

i feel like there is starting to become a new, higher end, widebody scene. With how big Liberty Walk widebodies have become im starting to see more and more of these types of cars around. what i would call somewhere between a 'super clean drift car' and a 'well done stance car' for the streets, might be mostly to and from car shows and events, but still atleast get driven.

My buddy from college owns a high end shop in Florida and builds similar cars. they have been to Sema and still get street driven somewhat regularly.

When the defining feature of a car is an insanely expensive widebody kit, I call it a high-fashion show car.

but they atleast get driven and enjoyed. it's not alot different then when a guy drives his new Ford GT to Cars & Coffee. it's a high end car that will probably never get driven at its full potential but someone is out having a good time driving it, it may be high-fashion, but its still practical.

The Challenger from my original post (prior to the widebody, but still supercharged and 600+ hp) was driven from SE Kansas to Sema and back.

The rx7 has been a 10+ year evolving build and it's saw quite a bit of time on the road.

Both of these cars were built as show pieces but have also functioned pretty well as standing mile cars.

Not all similar builds will get used this way but again its like supercars, some people will never even break the speed limit in theirs and some people will have them at the track every weekend. if they want to spend 10x as much as i'm willing to spend on a fun car and still beat on it the same way I do then more power to them.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/6/18 3:23 p.m.

And suddenly I want a slammed-AF Challenger with a police pushbar. 

Contradiction
Contradiction HalfDork
3/8/18 12:04 a.m.

I'm not going to lie, I think it looks good, but I still have a beef with some of these "pseudo race cars".  It's one thing to build a "show drift car" that's clean and cosmetically perfect with a livery, but I still get pissed when I see a flat out show car with a gutted interior, a roll cage, and AIRBAGS.  It's all just posturing at that point if the car is built to hard park.  

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
3/8/18 8:40 a.m.
Contradiction said:

I'm not going to lie, I think it looks good, but I still have a beef with some of these "pseudo race cars".  It's one thing to build a "show drift car" that's clean and cosmetically perfect with a livery, but I still get pissed when I see a flat out show car with a gutted interior, a roll cage, and AIRBAGS.  It's all just posturing at that point if the car is built to hard park.  

I'd rather see it on airbags so that it can be driven on real streets, then ALSO lowered for the proper look. and CG

Man, some of you are really judgmental about people enjoying cars in a way that isn't YOUR way. I remember building all sorts of racer replicas back in the day, both road race and drag race. Air ride would have been a godsend for those of us who love low cars, instead of static drops and hydraulics At least air ride leaves you with functional suspension. Hydraulics were super stiff no matter what height you set them at.

These sound like some of the same conversations I had with sports car friends back when I was building street rods in the '80s and '90s. "But it's too low" There's no such thing. lol! I daily drove cars with 1" of ground clearance or less and would do it again. Only now I'd add air ride instead of being static low. Like this at 4" lower than stock...

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/8/18 9:08 a.m.

I've ridden in Air Ride Technologies' demo cars. They run air suspension and pull 1.2g on street tires. Comfortable ride and adjustable ride height with the press of a button. Ain't nothing to complain about there.

Kreb
Kreb UberDork
3/8/18 9:10 a.m.

Whatever a person wants to do with their cars is fine with me. The enemy isn't other car guys, the enemy is the couch and living vicariously.

On a different note, I think that a lot of Americans associate bagged vehicles with trucks and lowriders, but my cousin in New Zealand says that given the frequency of funky, old but fun, roads there, it's not at all uncommon for people to bag their six-figure Porsches and such. Makes sense to me.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
3/8/18 9:34 a.m.
Chris_V said:

Man, some of you are really judgmental about people enjoying cars in a way that isn't YOUR way.

You must be reading a different thread than me...Or at least reading it from a very different perspective. Personally having no horse in this race to get defensive about, I'd actually argue that the number of judgemental posts regarding this non-GRM biased automotive trend has actually been uncharacteristically low compared to past discussions of such topics. In fact, the vast majority of responses have been surprisingly positive, and even the more 'critical' ones have been rather tempered. So forgive me for not understanding the rationale behind issuing such a condemnation.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/8/18 11:42 a.m.
NickD said:

I've ridden in Air Ride Technologies' demo cars. They run air suspension and pull 1.2g on street tires. Comfortable ride and adjustable ride height with the press of a button. Ain't nothing to complain about there.

That's what started me down that path. There's a number of time attack cars that run air struts, AirLift Performance actively sponsors some of those drivers, these days. There's some pretty serious performance to be had there but I don't know if they'll scale effectively enough for serious racing applications (HINT HINT GRM editors!) They're also quite a bit more expensive than traditional suspension setups.

A lot of development in that area was driven by the stance movement, so thank your local stance kid.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/8/18 11:45 a.m.

I do have a small beef about cars and trucks modified and daily driven, if they are really pushing the envelope of practicality.

If the cops and the dudes that write the highway act see a Jetta with 45 degrees of negative camber hung up on a speed bump, the rule they write probably has to be specific, which throws reasonable out the window, and now it's factory spec or park it.  An E36 gets attention around here now from know nothing cops...

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
3/8/18 12:10 p.m.
Driven5 said:
Chris_V said:

Man, some of you are really judgmental about people enjoying cars in a way that isn't YOUR way.

You must be reading a different thread than me...Or at least reading it from a very different perspective. Personally having no horse in this race to get defensive about, I'd actually argue that the number of judgemental posts regarding this non-GRM biased automotive trend has actually been uncharacteristically low compared to past discussions of such topics. In fact, the vast majority of responses have been surprisingly positive, and even the more 'critical' ones have been rather tempered. So forgive me for not understanding the rationale behind issuing such a condemnation.

That’s because I haven’t showed up. Lol. But I do actually agree, leave people alone and let them build a nice looking car! Who cares if it ain’t your style! That’s at least one other person that won’t pass your ass on track! Hahaha! 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/8/18 12:18 p.m.
The0retical said:
NickD said:

That's what started me down that path. There's a number of time attack cars that run air struts, AirLift Performance actively sponsors some of those drivers, these days. There's some pretty serious performance to be had there but I don't know if they'll scale effectively enough for serious racing applications (HINT HINT GRM editors!) They're also quite a bit more expensive than traditional suspension setups.

A lot of development in that area was driven by the stance movement, so thank your local stance kid.

Air springs certainly can perform well, the reason we're not all running them is that the only advantage of air springs over a traditional spring setup is that they let you choose between a good performance setup and hard parking at the flip of a switch. If you have no interest in hard parking...you might as well save your money and run metal coil springs.

But if you can get a sponsor who will give you air spring coilovers for time attack,  suddenly they're the cheaper option!

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
3/8/18 12:25 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

...the only advantage of air springs over a traditional spring setup is that they let you choose between a good performance setup, a good street setup, and hard parking at the flip of a switch.

Fixed.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/8/18 12:28 p.m.
Driven5 said:
GameboyRMH said:

...the only advantage of air springs over a traditional spring setup is that they let you choose between a good performance setup, a good street setup, and hard parking at the flip of a switch.

FTFY.

I'm not sure I can agree, since with air springs, softer is lower and higher is harder. So unless it's a gravel rally car, the lower setting (as in, any lower setting than your highest & hardest performance setup, which would already be low for any car made to perform on tarmac) will probably be worse for street use.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
3/8/18 12:33 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Would you agree if I said "good street clearance" instead?  My point is that air springs could just as easily be used to lift from a performance oriented height that's still too low for clearance challenged areas on the street, rather than just to lower from a street performance height for hard parking.  The former could still be similarly useful to those with absolutely no interest in 'hard parking'.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oxMcjrFDT2EgMwSeKwkyG8IA5wk6y3HqVqBPEa1I3PE2GdCczKYOhe4gUl9a8bl0