Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/16/21 7:52 p.m.

I know that the bugs usually use a rear-end gear that is integral to the transaxle, but is there any pumpkin that will bolt up with minimal mods?

Saw a recent build where it appears someone did something similar, but it appears that they pulled the drive gear off of an R1 and adapted a driveshaft between the pumpkin and the bike's output shaft

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/16/21 8:46 p.m.

Hawk makes a driveshaft adapter that will bolt onto the counter shaft and replace the sprocket. Same set-up as a Legends car uses. From there a custom driveshaft back to a rear differential of your choice(Miata, BMW, Subaru, etc) depending on the application. Actually pretty easy to build.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/16/21 8:58 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

Damn, those are fairly reasonably priced as well.

Any ideas on the other end for the pumpkin?

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/16/21 9:15 p.m.

Independent rear subframe from a Miata  can easily be bolted into or onto a tube frame and will get you all of the suspension and correct geometry. 

Then just a driveshaft connecting the two. Easy and should be a reasonably priced set-up.

With a bit more info on the project, it would be easier to make a suggestion.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/16/21 11:01 p.m.

I'm more spitballing what I might need to do to get a project like this down the road.  I don't have any specifics, just thinking of what might be fun and fast.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
8/17/21 8:20 a.m.

Thinking just from the aspect of 6 bolt flanges on the VW axles, Nissan and Subaru are the first to come to mind that also have 6 bolt axle flanges.  The bolt pattern circle likely won't be the same but an adapter probably wouldn't be difficult to make or may even be on the market already.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
8/17/21 8:56 a.m.

I would chat with the sandrail community in regards to what lobro's to use, but you can also make up your own flanges.  For my Europa I took the stock Renault inner CV and machined a bunch off then welded on a "donut" of steel.  Post welding it was turned, faced, then sent off to get drilled to suit the PCD of the lobro's I was using (100 mm sourced from a Golf Mk 3).  

I dont have a pic of the drilled flange on it's own, but here's a pic of the shafts installed with the flanges:

Another option is to get some adapters machined with one set of holes matching the VW Lobro, and the other to match what ever flange is on the diff output shaft.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/17/21 9:58 a.m.

If you WANT, I have a Nissan viscous diff (infinity j30) plus stub axles and also a sprocket that will bolt directly to the diff where the ring gear would normally go. 

You'd likely have to fabricate flat plate adapters to go from the Nissan stub axle pattern to the VW 6 bolt flange, and you'd need to make some sort of bearing and oil retention device for the diff (I can supply you the right pillow bearings too, if you want), but otherwise would be a way to do it with a chain instead of a driveshaft. And it turns the motor 90degrees of course. 

I'd sell it all cheap if you're interested... oh, and I can probably find the old aluminum side plates I made for mounting a GSXR 1000 motor too. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/17/21 9:59 a.m.

also, for some reason I think a lot of these projects include 914 axle 'stubs'. for some reason, dunno why. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/17/21 10:44 a.m.

In reply to RoddyMac17 :

That's a pretty nifty setup there.  Nice idea.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/17/21 12:20 p.m.

If you can find one,  Quantum Syncro parts MIGHT work.  The rear suspension is similar enough to IRS Beetle that some parts interchange (it's coil sprung, not torsion bar) and it has an Audi quattro rear diff.  I don't know what is going on at the hub end though.  But an Audi diff might be the ticket, regardless.

Just an FYI, quattro driveshafts spin backwards compared to everyone else.  This is because of the way they mounted the center diff in the original transaxles.  They saw no reason to change from clockwise rotation.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ssmTNlusautSJpT1JdxvRMcjyVm7iyWUMxOIoP0wxSyPeUltLHEG76GSrXhIFYVl