1 2 3 4
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/8/22 12:43 p.m.
Patrick said:

I would delete all the sexists that assume because a woman is driving something cool that it must be her boyfriend/husband's car and then mansplains E36 M3 to her

Ruh Ro! 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/8/22 12:46 p.m.
chaparral said:

Hostility towards the EPA and NHTSA.

If it wasn't for the rules, the automakers would backslide as far as they could as frequently as they could.  We would still be stuck with carburetors and points and lap belts. 

There are people who are mad that cars don't still have points and carburetors.  Modern cars need sensors all the time, as evidenced by the fact that auto parts stores still exist. (Yes really)

Presumably their opinion on seat belts is that it is safer to be thrown clear smiley

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/8/22 12:48 p.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

Tucked wheels. 

Not sure if you mean when people lower the car so much the wheels are behind the fender, or if you mean tires with so much stretch that the fender sits in the gap between the tire and rim lip.

I was going to ask, then realized that both are lame, so either one works.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
7/8/22 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Do they know they can just buy an old car with points?

I'd change the people who think they're hot E36 M3 for street racing. Take it to the track and stop driving up insurance for the rest of us. If you wanna go hit the tail of the dragon or any other twisty road, have fun, but stay within your limits please. If they need to bring out a crane to pick up your corpse/car, that shuts down the fun for the rest of us.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/8/22 1:44 p.m.

So so much of this falls under "shiny happy people"

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
7/8/22 2:00 p.m.

I was thinking of this so, yeah, why not both?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/8/22 2:46 p.m.

Accessibility. The car hobby is tons of fun, but man, between gatekeeping jerks and people inflating prices on certain cars/parts beyond reasonable levels, it can be really annoying.

It's OK to be a noob, especially if you are trying to get into the hobby, and lambasting people because someone doesn't know how many 1969 Camaros came with a certain engine/trans/color combo off the top of their heads is dumb. Be nice for a change, guy. Let people into the hobby instead of rejecting them. 

And the prices that some of our old junk goes for now is just insane! I get the supply & demand stuff, but the inflated prices we are seeing on even the crappiest stuff makes it so people can't get in on the ground floor. When my dad starts putting on the rose-tinted glasses as he tells me about his old rides, I always remind him of something he actually told me: "Cars back in the day were ALL crap! They always had problems. Some more than not, but they ALL had issues and didn't last long." There's no reason someone needs to pay $12k for a rusty, non-running, no-option 1980's pickup truck missing half its parts, people. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
7/8/22 4:08 p.m.

Fake patina.

Really patina in general, not my style, I'd prefer primer.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/8/22 4:13 p.m.

Use of the term "lifestyle." Virtually everything connected to it has some relationship with vain, superficial, shallow personalities, code to me for "someone you don't want to know."

Defined motorsports
Defined motorsports SuperDork
7/8/22 4:17 p.m.

The internet.

All the toxicity in the world exists here. Nobody throws shade in real life without getting punched in the mouth. The disrespect levels of this planet are out of control. the old days were "nicer" because of this. You didn't throw disrespect around in 1970 because you'll end up getting humiliated in public or thrown out of town. 
todays kids get to say anything. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/8/22 4:17 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

False/misleading advertisements. 

Your air filter unlocked 27% more power? Prove it. 

The typical wording is that it unlocks up to 27%, and advertisers learned long ago that human nature makes us see "27%." They could sell you something that has zero gain, and still be absolutely correct in what they said.  Misleading, yes, wrong, sadly, no. I wish everyone would wise up to this because it's used effing everywhere, and we just keep falling for it. Hey, I have a sure fire solution to all your financial problems, and I guarantee that you'll make up to $14K a week.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
7/8/22 4:59 p.m.

There are SO MANY things that could be listed, but they all basically boil down to:

If someone stupid is only doing it to try to impress other stupid people - Jesus, just grow the berkeley up.

meh.

I'm just glad there IS an automotive scene.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/8/22 5:12 p.m.

Judged car show?

A tour component should be part of it.

If your trailer queen can't handle a 50 mile tour as part of the show, then it's not a car, it's furniture. 

karussell
karussell New Reader
7/8/22 5:29 p.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

Every time I try to look for some modification ideas for my Lupo online, it's all those types of cars. I want to find out what is the best suspension option for Lupo for track or autocrossing, but most Lupos on online are just lowered untill the bottom touches the road. Ugh.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/8/22 6:14 p.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

Those wheels look like they have a double rim on them.

I had to work on a NA Miata that had 17x9 Corvette wheels with 205/40s stretched on them.  The beads were literally a fingers width from the rim lips, and the car was lowered until the fenders sat in that gap.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/8/22 7:00 p.m.

"You bought a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger without a V8?"

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/8/22 7:17 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

Wait until the next Challenger is not available with one at all (but has an I6TT that makes more power). People are gonna be MAD!!!

No Time
No Time SuperDork
7/8/22 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

In addition to the I6, make it a 4 door (or hybrid) and peoples heads will explode 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/8/22 8:02 p.m.

Sideshows. Every single one of the cars should be taken away and crushed or sold. I have never seen such bullE36 M3. Plus is it growing here in SoCal and its killing the car scene. The guys on bikes I can amlost accept because they are going to kill themselves riding like that and likely not hurt anyone else. But swinging a car does not take skill and its not a "lifestyle" 

Best Hyphy Sideshow Oakland GIFs | Gfycat

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/8/22 8:06 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Amen.

The tools leaving bike night events have ruined pretty much every bike night venue.

Alway one jackass on a ring-ding stinkbike doing a wheelie for a whole block.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/8/22 9:27 p.m.

We live close enough to a long road with a traffic light at the bottom of the hill that I hear sport bikes doing wheelies up it Every Day.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/8/22 9:28 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Sideshows. Every single one of the cars should be taken away and crushed or sold. I have never seen such bullE36 M3. Plus is it growing here in SoCal and its killing the car scene. The guys on bikes I can amlost accept because they are going to kill themselves riding like that and likely not hurt anyone else. But swinging a car does not take skill and its not a "lifestyle" 

Best Hyphy Sideshow Oakland GIFs | Gfycat

Sadly, I admit to enjoying the YT videos of "Donuts Gone Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Honestly, that's the only thing that'll stop them, the cost of screw ups. Well that, and getting their license plate number seen by people that they wish hadn't. In some of those videos, they go out of control into the very people crowding in and urging them on, then those same people all of a sudden start acting like victims.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/8/22 10:02 p.m.
racerfink said:

"You bought a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger without a V8?"

My boss has a V8 Challenger and we joke about "why would you buy the V6 son" and at the same time remark about the V6 having 300hp. He also notes they have way more than the than his 80s IROC Z had (I think those were 190ish).

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/8/22 10:03 p.m.

As for various looks of cars I'm  whatever floats your boat type. I'll always compliment any car that is done well.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hxv5Q9vMZ0rpIwCRXO8Q0Hg6vsZqzawd1T5eLNpn6G1aKutlGgYCcCyepdOwtO2D