hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/28/22 3:51 p.m.

I'm not concerned about the powdercoat chipping. These will probably turn brown after 2-3 track days anyways. I might cover it with a caliper temperature sticker or caliper temp paint. What I'm more concerned about is this "lip" or "gouge". It looks to be a casting error, as it is raised up from the rest of the surface of the caliper instead of looking like a gouge from shipping errors. The rest of the surface is smooth and it does not feel like this is material that's bunched up from a gouge. I contacted Wilwood (OEM of the caliper) and awaiting response. I contacted RR-Racing (distributor and powdercoater) about what's up and they only commented "it did not ship like that" (referring to the powdercoat chip). 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/28/22 3:56 p.m.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not a big-money race caliper FEA'd to the ragged edge of structural integrity.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/28/22 3:58 p.m.

That's what I figured. Thanks.

On a side note RR-Racing did offer to recoat it as long as I paid for shipping but I don't want to since I worry it'd get damaged beyond cosmetically on the way back to them. They're good guys but a small operation. Takes forever to get back to me. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/28/22 4:04 p.m.

Did they... powdercoat the bleeder? Or one of them?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/28/22 4:10 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Wilwood bleeders have an adaper with the bleeder. It's a bit annoying because the adapter can break loose, then you need to use two wrenches to open the bleeder. "Locking" the adapter in place with powdercoat isn't a terrible thing, but it'll break free eventually and be annoying.

So I wouldn't be too worried about that.

About the ding in the caliper - as long as the piston moves freely, you're probably okay. My only concern would be a lack of wall thickness on the backside of the piston. I'd get that on the car, fire up the engine (so you have a functional brake booster) and then get your strongest friend to try to push the brake pedal through the firewall.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/28/22 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Sounds good, that's what I'm concerned about, the lack of wall thickness. But it truly does look and feel like a casting/forging error. I'm planning on getting these installed by a local shop because I also need the diff/trans serviced (standard flush) and R&R some longer studs and I barely have time to spend with my girlfriend or dog right now due to work travel, so I'll make sure to mention it to them.

In reply to tuna55 :

Yes... LOL  but the other one is also like this. I suspect they did this to help me identify which bleeder is "top" (though I'm not an idiot). 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/28/22 4:44 p.m.

There is a lot of meat back there.  I have some Wilwoods with significant milling for hub clearance, all is fine.

Which end is top depends on which side it is going on smiley 

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
9/28/22 11:58 p.m.

I would not worry a bit about that. I run Superlites as well (what yours really are), and after scrutinizing during rebuilds, I can verify they have plenty of wall thickness. File it out, touch-up with Ford blue engine paint, coat with brake dust.

That ding was not there when they were powdercoated, it's not a manufacturing defect. Looks like there was a collision with something substantial...like another caliper bracket?

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/29/22 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Nockenwelle :

Yessir, they're the Forged Superlite 4, sounds good. Like I said not worried about the chip since it's just gonna turn brown after 2-3 track days. I'll find some brake temp paint that turns blue at whatever temp these calipers end up getting to ;) 

I'm not really sure what the collision was from, the boxes were very well packaged. So I'm unsure where it came from. Again, not too concerned.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
khSVYpLw4yrE2ZHv8kU1ZPrH24HExsZ9Czb5mraNgZAWssEpzZdmS1dmy8JvYtW2