5 6 7 8
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/23/20 9:19 p.m.

How much more weight do I need to lose to fit in it?  I'm picturing candy blue with gold leaf numbers on halibrands if I can register it and drive it to work.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
12/23/20 9:30 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Mmm, I get that mostly, but your post was a bit confusing to someone looking at doing this today - especially around the ambiguous enforcement of the "replica" thing, which is just wrong - it states that on the official website. I was setting expectations for today since that's what this thread is discussing, attempting to register this crazy new contraption.

Considering I've gone through the steps in two states I can say it's a bit of leg work, but in most it's finding the right number to call and talk to the right person. There are a handful that **can** make it hell, I've read a few horror stories, but I've never read of anyone being stopped cold yet. 

Here's the registration tool box link, but I've found it best to ask questions on the MEV forum or on the Exocet facebook group. Usually there's someone from your state to give you some advice at this point.

https://www.semasan.com/resources/everything-you-need-register-and-title-your-hobby-car-all-50-states

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/23/20 9:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

IIRC they bumped the number from 500 to 750 a while back, right about the same time 2008 happened and people stopped building Cobras. Let the system catch up.

That was part of it, but the biggest factor was the "hot rod" builders like Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington.  The intent of the law was to allow individuals to register kit cars that they built themselves, but as originally written it could be abused by small scale manufacturers building specialty cars.  They soaked up many of the SB100 reservations on January 2nd every year.

AIUI, they have since made some modifications to the CA registration laws clarifying what SB100 for, and I think they have provided alternate avenues for the small scale commercial hot rod builders to use.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
12/23/20 9:32 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

Mmm, I get that mostly, but your post was a bit confusing to someone looking at doing this today - especially around the ambiguous enforcement of the "replica" thing, which is just wrong - it states that on the official website. I was setting expectations for today since that's what this thread is discussing, attempting to register this crazy new contraption.

Yes, I acknowledged that the "replica" thing was (at best) obsolete.

accordionfolder
12/23/20 9:36 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

yes let's just hope we can get a few of these things states side ripping around. I have a dream of massive slip angles and maniacal laughter.

More on topic, I'm curious how it likes having no sway bars? That'll be interesting tuning wise. Or are they hidden up in there and they're just hard to see in those pictures?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/23/20 9:50 p.m.

I'll have to look and see if there are front sway bar mounts on the chassis. THe rears are on the subframe so that's up to the user. I ended up putting sways on my Locost so they'd probably be worthwhile here so you can keep the springs supple.

accordionfolder
12/23/20 9:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I was specifically squinting hard at the front end of the frame... It would probably be easy enough to weld brackets, the front bar mounts on the Exocet are straight forward, and  locating would be fairly easy since you have the attachment points on the control arms, but I guess we'll see what you see/ what the builder dude has to say! The fiberglass could be a problem. 

I keep coming back to look at it, what a great use of Miata parts.....

mblommel
mblommel Dork
12/23/20 11:32 p.m.

Definitely a very cool kit. I would do without the fake exhaust pipes and fake brake drums though.

It's a real shame that due to exchange rates, shipping and duties the plethora of really interesting and affordable kits from the UK end up being so expensive in the U.S.

I was really interested in a Westfield, GBS zero or Triking but they all add up to at least $20k (most likely more) once you're done building them. 

As previously discussed I'm sure this will one be about the same.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
12/24/20 7:23 a.m.
Snrub said:
Schmidlap said:

Does anyone know anything about registering a kit car in Ontario because this kit is seriously something I want to do. 

Registering a car in ontario isn't terrible, insuring it is. It's possible to get kit car insurance through Hagerty as of a few years back, but they primarily insured replicas of street cars. They don't like "race cars", so I don't know if they'd accept this. Another option is to go through facility, the insurer or last resort as it provides a insurance for high risk drivers. When I looked into a Exocet it was going to be at least $4k/year.

Thanks, I've been doing some googling and found this page which might help others in Ontario looking for info, though I don't know how old it is. https://www.canadianrodder.com/features/fyi/registering.htm

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
12/24/20 7:38 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

There are some difficulties in importing kits to Canada as well, they need to use a minimum number of parts from a donor. The Exocet is legal, this one might be as well as it uses a similar amount of Miata. But that will have to be sorted out through Transport Canada first.

Yeah, it seems like Transport Canada and Canada Customs decide if you're importing a kit or a disassembled car based on what's in the shipping container. A frame and body are fine, but throw in suspension too and now it could be that they see it as a fully engineered car that you just have to put together and the manufacturer is just trying to get around all emissions and safety testing. Or maybe it's alright. They've got a FAQ on their website that is pretty helpful.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/importing-vehicle/faq-car-kits

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/24/20 11:03 a.m.

It's a shame that the few remaining straight-eights weigh so much.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/24/20 11:05 a.m.

In reply to mblommel :

The exchange rate is actually pretty favourable at the moment at about $1.30. Used to be closer to $2...

The other thing about a lot of the "affordable" kits in the UK is that the donors aren't readily available over here.

stroker
stroker UberDork
12/24/20 1:59 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

It's a shame that the few remaining straight-eights weigh so much.

Which, of course, calls for somebody to make a billet aluminum straight-8 block, head, crank and camshaft based on LS architecture...    I'm thinking a JZ might be an easier approximation.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/24/20 2:16 p.m.

If you're going to go to that trouble, stick with the original 1.5l displacement :) Which means 750cc bike parts.

mblommel
mblommel Dork
12/24/20 4:18 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

That may have been true years ago but not as much anymore. The 3 kits I seriously considered use a Miata, also a Miata and a Moto Guzzi v-twin bike that has been sold here for years. 

A 30% premium on $10,000 plus a 500£ crating fee, $2000 in shipping and import duties make a good deal not really a good deal. A lot of buyers in the UK seem to go pick up their kit, thereby avoiding shipping costs since its usually only a few hours' drive to do so. 

The UK has a truly wonderful kit car industry with some amazing workmanship. For me the cost/benefit just doesn't make sense. 

I hope someone on this board does buy one of these and build it though. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/24/20 4:24 p.m.

As I'm looking through the kit, it doesn't look like you need much from the Miata... or am I missing something.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
12/24/20 4:55 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

As I'm looking through the kit, it doesn't look like you need much from the Miata... or am I missing something.

Engine/transmission/diff/axles (whole drivetrain other than driveshaft), both subframes, all the suspension, steering rack (probably need a longer column), uprights, instrument cluster, brakes, wiring harness, ECU?

I mean it's basically everything an Exocet would use other than the gas tank, radiator, and shocks.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/24/20 7:39 p.m.
mblommel said:

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

That may have been true years ago but not as much anymore. The 3 kits I seriously considered use a Miata, also a Miata and a Moto Guzzi v-twin bike that has been sold here for years. 

A 30% premium on $10,000 plus a 500£ crating fee, $2000 in shipping and import duties make a good deal not really a good deal. A lot of buyers in the UK seem to go pick up their kit, thereby avoiding shipping costs since its usually only a few hours' drive to do so. 

The UK has a truly wonderful kit car industry with some amazing workmanship. For me the cost/benefit just doesn't make sense. 

I hope someone on this board does buy one of these and build it though. 

Note that the $10k figure is the USD equivalent of the UK price, I'm not sure that's what your 30% premium is meant to represent.

This kit will cost money. But it'll be less than any other reasonable kit. A Factory Five Roadster starts at $13k before shipping, or $20k if you want the full kit.

I have heard through the grapevine that interest has been...robust. Let's just say there's not much question it will continue to move forward.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/24/20 7:40 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Engine/transmission/diff/axles (whole drivetrain other than driveshaft), both subframes, all the suspension, steering rack (probably need a longer column), uprights, instrument cluster, brakes, wiring harness, ECU?

I mean it's basically everything an Exocet would use other than the gas tank, radiator, and shocks.

Pedals as well. Like an Exocet. No PPF, though :)

The steering column extension/reroute can be seen in the original kit picture. The wiring needs a bit of splicing apparently.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
12/25/20 1:33 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

If you're going to go to that trouble, stick with the original 1.5l displacement :) Which means 750cc bike parts.

Power wise, modern 600's would still be more than plenty for me... But from a design and balance standpoint, the cross plane crank R1's are the standout option as the basis for a straight 8.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/25/20 3:32 a.m.

If motorcycle fours are interesting you, look at Yamaha's snowmobiles. As I understand it, previous generation R1...without the integral transmission.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/25/20 7:47 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Now I'm wondering if anyone has made a bike based 1.5l V12 for Ferrari replicas.

stroker
stroker UberDork
12/25/20 8:58 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Now I'm wondering if anyone has made a bike based 1.5l V12 for Ferrari replicas.

Three Honda 500 Interceptor engines welded together end to end?

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
12/25/20 9:11 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

...sounds like a job for mke!

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/28/20 2:34 p.m.

Did I miss a weight figure? Mine would surely be Ducati powered. 

5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SHIh0JF6x8u0hyKz8FloX69EFAoFSnor4AAsT0fYcvyXav672McXSzoa82Ub3ygJ