1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/18/16 4:15 p.m.

3/4 drop, All-Fit lip kit, black painted stock wheels, and some side stripes. I know it's a rough photochop, but what do you guys think?

calteg
calteg Dork
3/18/16 4:18 p.m.

I'm a huge fan of retro-fantastic 80's vinyl...on the right car. and this ain't it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/18/16 4:19 p.m.

I like the vinyl. I'm not a fan of dropped trucks personally.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/18/16 4:22 p.m.

I was thinking more along the lines of a thicker version of this stripe than 80s graphics. A pseudo-muscle truck, if you will.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
3/18/16 4:35 p.m.

(my opinion) I'm not sure the Muscle Truck look works if you're keeping the bed cap. Seems like there's too much going on between the lip, stripe, mudflaps, and cap.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/18/16 4:39 p.m.

Scrap the chin spoiler extension and i think its a cool idea (vinyl that is) i like that drop too, low enough yet not too low you cant use it as a truck up a fire road or something. I actually like keeping the mud flaps too, i think it needs some rally esque lights up front, hella 500s? I love mine. The camper is growing on me but i think if it fit propper and maybe without the big hump up top would look killer and maintain the utility of it.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/18/16 4:43 p.m.

I'll remove the flaps come May, but the topper is heavy and nobody wants to help me lift it

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
3/18/16 4:47 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I'll remove the flaps come May, but the topper is heavy and nobody wants to help me lift it

Why not just unbolt it and drive away quickly?

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/18/16 4:52 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: I'll remove the flaps come May, but the topper is heavy and nobody wants to help me lift it
Why not just unbolt it and drive away quickly?

I second this, if you give no damns about it, tie a rope to the back thats attached to a tree and haul butt. Or if you know a place with exposed rafters tie it up on 4 corners. 90% of the motors ive replaced was using a chain hoist attached to a rafter haha

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/18/16 4:55 p.m.

I wouldn't drop it, the whole upside of a truck as a people carrier is it has suspension travel to soak up bumps. Not a fan of the stripe either.

TR7
TR7 New Reader
3/18/16 4:59 p.m.

Two tone is the way to go.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/18/16 5:00 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: I wouldn't drop it, the whole upside of a truck as a people carrier is it has suspension travel to soak up bumps. Not a fan of the stripe either.

Since when is a single cab presumable bench seat truck considered a people carrier?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/18/16 5:01 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

It's not, but most people with them use them as such 99% of the time.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/18/16 5:01 p.m.

I'd love to just go with the "tie it to a tree and see what happens" approach, but I'll need it for my Cross-Canada road trip this summer.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
3/18/16 5:17 p.m.

If it were me I would look at it as two separate options:

Camping/utility: Paint the wheels, keep the bed cap but paint it to match whatever you do to the wheels, keep ride height stock, keep the mud flaps and get some cool rally lookin' driving lights. Graphics, maybe?

Muscle truck vibes: Lose the cap, lower, graphics, paint rims, front lip.

But you're not me, you're you so whatever you think is cool is the right choice in this scenario.

What do you want the truck to be in the end?

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/18/16 5:19 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

true but keep in mind op hasnt even reached 18 yet so i dont think the most plush ride with the most possible travel is what hes looking for, lowered to lure the young ladys into his camper shell is however haha.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

keep that sucker on there for now then! Totally jealous of your trans canadian adventure this summer and i look forward to a thread on said adventure! I too am making a cross country journey this summer but mines one way, thank god.

68TR250
68TR250 New Reader
3/18/16 5:21 p.m.

Gman, you could sell the bed top and the buyer would need to remove it. It would go a bit easier if the buyer's truck was right there and the two of you could just transfer it over. In my younger days I lifted the fiberglass off and on from / to my '89 short bed GM pick up. The stipes are a personal matter. If you like it that is all that matters.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/18/16 5:26 p.m.

I used to have a topper on my truck. I'd remove by hooking four ratchet straps to the trusses in the garage; lift up each corner an inch or two at a time, and then drive the truck away. To reinstall, reverse the procedure. It's a pretty easy one person job.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
3/18/16 5:33 p.m.

I think the whole thing it pretty cool. Only thing I would change is maybe a cleaner looker cab height topper

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/18/16 5:37 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: I wouldn't drop it, the whole upside of a truck as a people carrier is it has suspension travel to soak up bumps. Not a fan of the stripe either.

It just sits too high for me. Mind you, what I picture when I hear "2WD Truck" is a bit different than the standard work truck definition.

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
3/18/16 5:59 p.m.

I'd rock it. The cap doesn't really fit the look, but I understand your need for the functionality and it's removable anyways. Might remove or cut down the mud flaps too, but again easily reversible if need be.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/18/16 6:08 p.m.

The drop and flaps are good. I'm indifferent to the wheel paint. The stripe and lip don't fit.

Maybe a proper two tone. Although the nature of the "trans Canada" trip would have me questioning a dropped 2wd.

It's your truck. Have fun.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
3/18/16 6:17 p.m.

I like it.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/18/16 6:52 p.m.
Brian wrote: Although the nature of the "trans Canada" trip would have me questioning a dropped 2wd.

It's already got no dead pedal, fairly firm seats, two blown speakers, and an exhaust system that consists of headers, a full 2.5" mandrel bent system, and a "muffler" that's probably shotgunned. How much worse could it be if I lowered it 3 inches in the front and four in the back?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/18/16 6:53 p.m.
chiodos wrote: In reply to BrokenYugo: true but keep in mind op hasnt even reached 18 yet so i dont think the most plush ride with the most possible travel is what hes looking for, lowered to lure the young ladys into his camper shell is however haha.

Even when I was that age and my back never bothered me, "rides better than the school bus" was certainly a metric when it came to car selection. I suspect 3/4 on a 2wd GMT400 is going to have you banging bump stops a lot more often on northern roads.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gHOA4n2LD5Cf4QynL59OcdrKIegdKrxcDrjOvTKRxddGN29zntz83MhQVyE0HL8P