1 2
kokosd
kokosd New Reader
3/3/20 3:03 a.m.

Like the title said I'm looking for a new car  but I'm kind of stuck. My dream car since a kid has been a wrx sti  but it seem seriously outdated compared to some more modern cars and I dont really need the awd or 4 doors, with the announcement of a new one possible making 400hp it seems  dumb buying it however I need a new car now and there's no telling how expensive the new one might be.  a local dealer is offering a brand new 2020 model for 33.5k or I could get something like a mustang (non pp) which has way more hp for the same price but I worry about the handling. I eventually plan on tracking the car and I do go on canyon cruises every weekend so something that handles well is important.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/3/20 4:57 a.m.

Miatasmiley

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
3/3/20 5:29 a.m.

Or a 2014+ FR-S, they're cheap now and awesome.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
3/3/20 5:42 a.m.

Worried about handling? This it's not 1999, mustang's and Camaro's HANDLE. I have seen exactly zero WRX's at HPDE events over the last year or so, and a HUNDRED american muscle cars.

Test drive them and see what you think. It may suprise you..  

I personally would want to try for a SS 1LE since I need the extra aero for my McDonalds runs.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
3/3/20 6:00 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:

I personally would want to try for a SS 1LE since I need the extra aero for my McDonalds runs.

laugh

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/3/20 7:27 a.m.

If you really want the next-gen STi (and I do too well assuming it doesn't look horrible), just buy something cheap and used to get you through. 

There is also supposed to be a new BRZ next year as well. That's why I decided to pick up something used to play with to see how the next year or two of new cars is going to work out.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/3/20 8:05 a.m.

You'll get the STi after watching this video. 

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
3/3/20 8:35 a.m.

How about you just drive them and then decide? wink

That said, I dd a 2011 WRX.  I much prefer it to the Mustang Ecoboost I drove around an autocross course.  I'd probably feel differently about  V8 model and definitely would feel differently about a Crammit SS 1LE.  However, I need to haul twins around in car seats, so...

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
3/3/20 8:38 a.m.

If the STi was still available as a hatchback I probably would've bought it.  I can't see buying one now, has a really outdated motor with well known issues and there are better choices for the money.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
3/3/20 8:45 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Last I looked in 2015, it was cheaper to get a brand new WRX than an 04 STI.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
3/3/20 9:12 a.m.

I've had the Abarth for 6 years now (probably within a day or two of 6 years now that I think of it).  I love the thing, but I'm not getting any younger and thinking maybe it's time to move onto a new experience.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/3/20 9:49 a.m.

My 16 WRX Limited was $31,000. At that time the STi was $37,000 here. Personally I didnt get the STi in 16 as much as I wanted it, due to the old motor. I wanted to try out the new FA20.

I would hold off and get the new STi with the 400hp. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
3/3/20 9:50 a.m.

So I had a 2017 STI for about 6 months and hated every single second of it.  The creaks and groans and tire noise and just general fit and finish was terrible. Sold it for what I paid for it new though, not sure how that happened. 

With the 2021 STI getting the DI motor now is not the time to be buying a new STI, and used is just as much as new somehow 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
3/3/20 10:08 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I had an 07 STI for about 6 months too.  Same experience, I couldn't handle the craptacular build quality and all the creaks/groans/rattles from a new car. 

It was great on the track tho, really confidence inspiring and quick.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/3/20 10:18 a.m.

I test drove an '18 STi a few years ago. 

The engine/gearing is what killed it for me. Laggy turbo + super close ratios. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/3/20 10:28 a.m.

I had a 2015 STI for a year and loved every second of it. Once you get over the interior shortcomings (it took me two WRXs prior to that to get over it) they are fun cars. Are they worth the price of admission? Absolutely not. You can get a Type R for a similar price, a Veloster N, Camaro, Mustang, Miata, BRZ, FRS, GTI, etc for cheaper. 

Go test drive a few things to see what you like best. If you want to wait for the new STI, just buy something cheap to get you through until they are released. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
3/3/20 10:59 a.m.

Anthony is holding an auction on all 12 of his cars in the other thread. May be worth window shopping or putting in a bid. The Boxster is hot so dont miss out, and the DSM is being basically GIVEN away!

kokosd
kokosd New Reader
3/3/20 1:42 p.m.

That's kind of what I'm hoping to do, buy it and hopefully be able to sell it without losing much money when the new one comes out.. As for handling I'm not sure a 5 minute dealership test drive will reveal much which is why I'm hesitant on buying american muscle

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/3/20 1:54 p.m.
kokosd said:

That's kind of what I'm hoping to do, buy it and hopefully be able to sell it without losing much money when the new one comes out.. As for handling I'm not sure a 5 minute dealership test drive will reveal much which is why I'm hesitant on buying american muscle

I travel non-stop for work. I've had both hardtop and convertible variants of the Camaro and Mustang and also in I4 Turbo, V6, and V8 forms. They handle extremely well. Both platforms have IRS now and they are nothing like their 90s/early 2000s counterparts. Each powerplant is fun in it's own way as well. You will take a bigger depreciation hit buying an American car new vs. the STI so maybe look into the new realm. In terms of rental cars, I prefer the Mustang over the Camaro. More comfortable seating position, better infotainment, etc. 

I wouldn't window shop a car and make a decision without sitting in one at least. It is your money and your decision however. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/3/20 3:02 p.m.
kokosd said:

Buying a new one now and expecting not to lose money is a big gamble. 

Hell, even if you were able to resell it for EXACTLY as much as you paid for it, you're still out all the taxes/registration fees that go along with it. Then you'll pay those again when you get the new one. 

Really, just buy a beater until the car you want comes out.

b13990
b13990 Reader
3/3/20 8:35 p.m.

Mustangs handle very well now. I don't buy them new anymore because of the kind of quasi-retro image, but if you're OK with that I think they're very good cars.

My daily driver is a 2019 WRX. Didn't even consider the STI this time around, because I like the motor in the WRX a lot. Feels like a V8, and a good one than that- much, much torquier feel than my (new at the time) '01 Mustang GT. STI doesn't really start catching up until 4,000 rpm.

That said, the STI is a better track car in every respect. The brakes alone would probably cost you a few thousand dollars to put onto a WRX.

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 New Reader
3/3/20 9:21 p.m.

For the fact that the car has had the same HP since initial release I've never been impressed with the car itself. 

I'd take a lightly used GT over one any day ending in Y

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/4/20 7:26 a.m.
ChrisLS8 said:

For the fact that the car has had the same HP since initial release I've never been impressed with the car itself. 

The 18+ cars have been dynoing 15-20 whp more than previous STi's IIRC, even if the rating is the same.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/4/20 9:48 a.m.
z31maniac said:
ChrisLS8 said:

The 18+ cars have been dynoing 15-20 whp more than previous STi's IIRC, even if the rating is the same.

They must be building the STi engines from Tuesday-Thursday only this go round. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/4/20 10:11 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
z31maniac said:
ChrisLS8 said:

They must be building the STi engines from Tuesday-Thursday only this go round. 

It could be! I'm positive I read that somewhere, or maybe Subaru used a team of experts to implant that idea in my memory to try to get me to buy one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5oz2n1HAXMgwQKJR47xpbPetkOsDfj8RrtO0tozaRQ1Vgj8dOt7FECAcBDeHXy8x