1 2 3
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
12/29/14 12:17 p.m.

My E36 328 gets about that mileage; I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one here.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/29/14 12:42 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

Between my V8 SN95 and a friend's 3rd gen Camaro, I think they're about equally fun/not-fun to work on. I doubt the 4th is that much worse than the 3rd.

Honestly though just shop for the best 318ti, that's my real advice, or else Chevette if something low-rust comes along. But it won't so 318ti.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/29/14 12:55 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to The_Jed: Between my V8 SN95 and a friend's 3rd gen Camaro, I think they're about equally fun/not-fun to work on. I doubt the 4th is that much worse than the 3rd. Honestly though just shop for the best 318ti, that's my real advice, or else Chevette if something low-rust comes along. But it won't so 318ti.

4th gen fbody is alot worse to wrench on than a turd gen or contemporary mustang....

as far as the 318ti, the budget makes all the difference. They do cost $Texas for nice examples due to their cult car status.

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
12/29/14 3:19 p.m.

AW11 MR2- 30mpg with your foot to the floor, and more fun than a Miata (yeah I said it ) $4k will buy a nice one.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/29/14 3:45 p.m.

Depends on why you say no Miata.

SN95 Mustangs are more fun than people want to give them credit for, but the fuel economy requirement puts most of the fun ones out (unless you are willing to push for V8 goodness?) (my cobra tended to get right around 20mpg in mixed driving in the mountains)

V6 Mustangs are kinda fun-limited by comparison.

80's Nissan 300zx?

80's Supra?

Have to agree E30-36, had an E30, there was potential there and I do hear E36 is better

go way out there... zq8 s10 pickup?? (I know a guy who used to autocross one. Stay and help pick up cones and be a hero!) (yeah yeah, fuel economy..)

Hell, shop hard and you could get a c4 corvette for that money! (might not be the prettiest thing though)

P71 Crown Vic?

Old Volvo! (prancing moose badge a must!)

Merkur XR4ti

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/29/14 5:36 p.m.

Thanks for the help. I wasn't aware of a cult following for the 318ti. I find that Generation of mustang rather tight and for the V6 Camaro I had an ls1 I don't think I could drive the same car with lots less power. I would also like the care be easy to work on and somewhat cheap parts.

mblommel
mblommel Reader
12/29/14 6:02 p.m.

Fox body 5.0?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/29/14 6:10 p.m.

In reply to mblommel:

25mpg average will be a challenge with a 5.0 Mustang. Highway is doable but city isn't. I think my SN95, with a T5 and stock tall rear gears averaged closer to 20.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
12/29/14 6:26 p.m.

Any gen NA mr2 would d9, Mercedes slk or C230 kompressor.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/29/14 6:37 p.m.
taparsons wrote: Thanks for the help. I wasn't aware of a cult following for the 318ti. I find that Generation of mustang rather tight and for the V6 Camaro I had an ls1 I don't think I could drive the same car with lots less power. I would also like the care be easy to work on and somewhat cheap parts.

Doesn't sound like a cult I want to join. Just get a '91 e30 318 and call it a day. It's a better car than the Ti anyhow (IMO) if you can deal with the older interior design. Lighter with just as much power and better looks.

carbon
carbon Dork
12/29/14 7:31 p.m.
Knurled wrote: I am shocked - SHOCKED - at how inexpensive IS300s have become.

Every time I see these threads, I read them and say to myself "don't be the first to say IS300". For me they are the answer to so many automotive questions.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/29/14 9:35 p.m.

I haven't seen an is300 with a title that i would consider reliable for 4000$ at least around here.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/29/14 9:39 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

I'm a little over 6'4" its not exactly a good fit.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/29/14 11:20 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

The amusing thing is that a late m42 powered e30 that is worth owning is harder to find than a ti worth owning....you'll also pay more for said e30.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
12/30/14 6:26 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

It's perverse that way, isn't it? Even for the E36s, the 318s command more than the 325s do.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/30/14 8:44 a.m.

You could probably find a rather nice MK1 or MK2 MR2 for that money. Possibly even a supercharged or turbocharged one.

I am 6'2" and I know the Miata challenges. MR2's are more roomy.

If you can find an MR2 Spyder (challenge at your price maybe), they are a pretty darn good E-street car. A friend (national level auto-xer) was back to back testing bone stock '99 Miata and an MR2 Spyder on the same wheels/tires/course/day and thought the MR2 might have a slight advantage even. They also get better gas mileage than a Miata. The only drawbacks are cargo room and getting to the motor for some service (I have no experience, but conjecture on hearsay).

Thinking about it, I would hunt down an MR2 Spyder. I think its probably the most competitive RWD auto-x car at your price without having to dump in mod money. (other than a miata, of course!)

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/30/14 3:22 p.m.

I'll look more into the mr2. Reliable and should be super cheap to work on. E30s are way overpriced in my opinion.

carbon
carbon Dork
12/30/14 5:50 p.m.
taparsons wrote: I haven't seen an is300 with a title that i would consider reliable for 4000$ at least around here.

They're around, mine was not much more than that for a (rare and coveted) manual transmission with 90k on it. That was near 100k of abuse ago with no failures.

As far as mr2 spyders go, mines been a peach. It's formidable at any small track or autox and is an absolute riot on the street.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
12/30/14 7:25 p.m.

Porsche 924S/944? You can find decently reliable versions in that price range :)

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/30/14 7:49 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Porsche 924S/944? You can find decently reliable versions in that price range :)

But at what price for parts? You could buy several other cars for what a 924/944 would cost for little more than routine maintenance over a short period of time.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
12/30/14 8:31 p.m.

Parts aren't that expensive, really. Certainly more spendy than a BMW, but most are available via RockAuto and other online retailers.

Early cars with the stamped arms use MK1 rabbit bushings and ballpoints for example. Timing belt parts are every 3 years or 30K.

You just have to like the cars and be willing to do the work yourself. No better or worse than a similar BMW of the period.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
12/30/14 8:37 p.m.

Don't you special tools to set (and re set) the tension on the 924/944 timing belts?

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
12/30/14 9:53 p.m.

On 88 and later the tension is automatic for the timing belt (90 degree twist) and the balance shaft belt can be set by hand to a little over 90 degrees twist and the guide roller needs to be set to a specific clearance with a feeler gauge.

Tensioning gauges are available for loan from some vendors and fellow enthusiasts. Instructions are available online at places like http://www.clarks-garage.com

They are reliable race cars that people race and have raced for decades. They do not suffer fools for very long, so pay attention to maintenance and drive them, they hate sitting.

midniteson
midniteson Reader
12/31/14 1:03 a.m.

Early 80s Celica or supra or a Celica-supra

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/31/14 9:49 a.m.

I would suggest MY E36 328i.

In reply to drdisque: It's easy to properly build a car when mods are very limited.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4qwkWywswahmCqeF3Lca2H9KPJGMrwasmkqvVhPDl4mvrXyB9H7Rx1mtV6hUeW13