1 2 3
drdisque
drdisque New Reader
12/31/14 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

I was more referring to since those are all old cars, to be competitive in Street, you'd really need to freshen as much as possible and go through everything in the suspension and drivetrain to make sure it's as good as it can be within the rules.

The "build" on a new car is obviously close to nil, but I imagine that a 1986 Supra with good new shocks, all new bushings, a rebuilt rear-end, etc. has quite a bit more potential than one fresh off of Craig.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/31/14 8:30 p.m.

I will further explain my current situation...I have a 1996 Acura Integra ls. Complete turbo kit yet to be installed. Complete GSR swap with lsd. Engine needs rebuilt. I have other cars. I'm just wondering if it's going to be worth the investment. I've never raced fwd. Would it be competitive/fun in either autox or rally? Or am I better off hunting down a rwd in the 4k price range?

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
1/2/15 7:22 p.m.

anyone?

carbon
carbon Dork
1/2/15 8:34 p.m.

Depends what you are into, I hate fwd but that's me. I find it less invoking not being able to adjust yaw with my right foot. Drive some stuff, see what you like, build that. It seems to me that if you were all about the teg, you wouldn't be asking.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
1/2/15 9:16 p.m.

This is true as I have thought the same thing myself and then I watched this video. --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=asKuYgAcyIk#t=53 I fast forwarded to where it starts getting good.

Courtesy of http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/so-fwd-is-boring-huh/

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/2/15 9:46 p.m.

In reply to taparsons: You honestly need to auto-x/rallycross/road race several cars and several different setups to know what you like the best. Not all RWD cars will handle the same, and not all AWD cars will handle the same, especially with the new AWD systems that change torque bias as you drive. I have autocrossed three different Civics in my three seasons competing, and they all handled drastically different. In fact, a coupe of changes can completely change how your current car handles in competition, and I'm not just talking about expensive components like coilovers either.

Much of the FWD bashing is because the crappy, cheap, cars made just to move people around cheaply are FWD, especially the cars made in the 90s and earlier. The cheap cars made now are nicer to much nicer than they used to be. Most cars, even AWD and RWD performance cars are engineered to understeer so people get into less wrecks, especially the FWD bashers that don't want to participate in motorsports.

In reply to drdisque: That's true.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
1/2/15 9:55 p.m.

I get that. Unfortunately, I don't have money to throw at cars to figure out what I like. I guess I need to get more involved around here (Greensboro, NC) Around here drag racing is all that seems to be mainstream. Maybe it's just the people I know.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/2/15 10:19 p.m.

Lots of track days at VIR if that's your thing. Autox around here as well. Triad Sports Car Club seems to have 5 or 6 events in Winston & Greensboro. Plenty of stuff closer to Charlotte if you feel like traveling.

Choosing the right car to begin with is a very smart move if you are building for actual competition. The LS is legal in STC I believe, although probably not competitive with the 89si (although probably much closer than the rest of the "competition"). Swapping would put you straight into SMF, where its all going to depend on your build & competition, but a Civic hatch is going to be the better platform to start with.

$4K is almost enough to get you a fully prepped STS Miata, ST Civic or CRX. If seat time is what you are after, you aren't going to do better than any of those options.

If track-time is your thing and you don't need to build for a class, the LS is a great starting point. Either with a GSR swap or without. Doesn't take much setup to make the car great on track, reliable, cheap on consumeables, etc.

If building a car is what you want... what are you goals? Competitiveness? Crazyness? Etc.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
1/3/15 1:18 a.m.

I want to be competitive and learn. I don't have a lot of upfront money but I can continue to add as time goes on and I get my money back out of other things. Thanks for the help! More information would be great. Please refer to my last post in my other thread here it explains everything in a little more detail. --> http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/1996-acura-integra-performance-boost-questions/96019/page3/#post1707319

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/3/15 9:08 a.m.

Yeah, my post was kind of in response to both threads.

I can tell you this, if you are a on a budget, and want to remain competitive, do NOT swap the Integra. It'll put you straight into SMF, unless an entire package conversion to a GSR is possible, in which case you can remain in H-street (possibly competitive?) or ST (still not the car to have). H-street prep would be minimal. You're probably looking at another $3K into the car to do a 80% prep for ST. Finishing out an SMF build would require cubic dollars more.

My experienced advice would be this:

A) Take the car to an event as it is and run it. It won't be competitive, but it will be fun. You can still learn to drive, and see if its a sport you are serious about participation in and if so, what level of seriousness.

B) Ride along with some others at the event. Ride along in a stock class car, ST*, and some higher prep stuff. Talk to those competitors about what their prep levels are like, build/setup times, running costs, competitiveness, etc. You'll learn a lot. You'll also get a feel for the level of local competition. You (proboably) won't want to build a car for a class that nobody else runs.

Make your decision after doing that. Its easy to cave into the urge to make what you have fast, and do it right now... but often that leads you down the path to building the wrong car for the class. Its not the end of the world, but you can end up kicking yourself later. I say this as someone who has done this several times.

Its also easy to cave into buying the faster car at a given price point, but if you are serious about autocross, what is competitive at a certain price point will be of more value. The faster car may fall into the uncompetitve area of a higher class, while the slower car may be right in the mix of a lower class.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
1/3/15 12:44 p.m.

I am assuming that you've gotten hooked in with Triad Sports Car Club? I think getting some folks there to let you co-drive might be the best way to explore what you like the best.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
1/3/15 2:51 p.m.

I haven't gotten hooked up with anything yet. One of the many things that are on my to do list. @Darwin the car has a cracked block hence why I bought the other engine to rebuild. Would I be better off selling out and getting another car?

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
1/4/15 6:28 a.m.

So yeah, in that case, I think the best option for you is to go run with TSCC in what you have, even if it's not close to competitive right now. Make friends, ask for co-drives - cheapest and easiest way by far to figure out what you like.

alleykat
alleykat Reader
1/4/15 10:57 a.m.

I daily drive an E36 (94 325I). I get 30+ mpg in the highway. Reliable as an anvil, has enough power to get out of its own way, and handles well (Bilsteins and HR spring). I paid $4500 two years ago and have put about another $1000 in parts and labor.

Having said that, have you seen the prices of nice 996's these days? They have back seats too.....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GM0rRRnekUuWL2VWcODlvUeEVchvwM9KunLqMYtJKHY8eGegMLgq2HqGaBjdlkuL