m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
7/26/12 8:23 a.m.

Any opinions on the '89 I-Mark RS? This is the 1.6l DOHC non-turbo. Handling by Lotus.

I'm not sure how happy I'll be with FWD - but for a commuter maybe it wouldn't be so bad. It's oddball enough for me I think - at least more so than most other stuff out of Japan.

Can I expect 30mpg in mixed driving? My traffic is split roughly into 1/3 40-50mph country road, 1/3 stop-n-go traffic, and 1/3 70-80mph highway.

Are the RS specific parts expensive/difficult to come by? Is the 4XE1 reliable? JY engine parts availability might not be to bad for parts that are the same between the 1.6 and 1.8, as the 1.8 was in the Geo Storm GSi.

Any other ideas?

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
7/26/12 8:31 a.m.

It's the only car that I've ever seen roll at an autocross.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/26/12 8:56 a.m.

Never seen one roll over myself. The Lotus specific suspension parts are out freakin' rageous. The engines are pretty darn tough, like just about everything Isuzu made. 30 mpg should be possible since it's FI, the carbed ones didn't do so sporty that way.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UltraDork
7/26/12 8:56 a.m.

isuzone.org is the big community for these

I have always wanted one. They are a lot of fun! For what it's worth, ANY car can roll at an autocross with the right tires and corner entry...

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
7/26/12 12:11 p.m.

I just don't know about FWD...

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UltraDork
7/26/12 2:59 p.m.

It still amazes me how hung up on RWD some people are...especially for a 4-cylinder (read: easily serviceable) DD. It's not like we're talking about a transverse V8 American luxo-barge here. Especially a commuter - I don't know about you, but my commute has zero obstacles where one drive type would be any more favorable than the other. I've done it in everything from a Plymouth Volare to an Alfa Spider to a Saab 9-5, and the only variables are comfort level, gas mileage, and the number of looks I get!

FWD is fun in its own way...especially the Lotus-tweaked Isuzus. I'm daily driving an Alfa Spider currently, and the built Neon R/T my girlfriend got just blew me away with how fun it was to drive.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/26/12 3:40 p.m.

I prefer RWD but in a commute situation it really isn't a huge different. Especially in underpowered econobox! I doubt you'll induce much throttle understeer in this puppy.

It is a little fun to hit boost going around a turn and have the front end start pushing. Not as fun as having the back end come around but it does attract less attention.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
7/26/12 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

FTFY

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
7/26/12 6:02 p.m.

The motors are stout. The solid lifter cams wear, but not to the point of being unusable. I've done a bunch of cams and some cylinder head work for them. If they weren't so rust prone, I'd probably have one.

windsordeluxe
windsordeluxe New Reader
7/26/12 7:17 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: In reply to Woody: FTFY

Vodka tonic nearly shot out of my nose. Photoshop win!

petegossett
petegossett UltraDork
7/26/12 7:26 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas:

I want one for my Europa. 8)

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/26/12 10:59 p.m.

Just found the ad, looks fun as hell, i say get it!! It makes its peak power at almost 7k rpm and redlines at almost 8k. That's going to be entertaining even if it ISNT fast.

Im pre-emptively challenging you to a race in my sohc neon. Not in a mean way either, i think it'd be close.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
7/27/12 8:59 a.m.

I'll see what I can scratch up this weekend, Pete. If I can get the text right, I'll get a quote from the local sticker place.

Anybody else want one?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
7/28/12 11:09 a.m.

Going to take the 109 mile trip to look at it tonight - as long as it isn't sold by the time my boy's basketball game is over.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
7/28/12 11:23 a.m.

Hey m4ff3w,

Have you spoken with the seller on the phone? I did on Thursday,and man was he hard to understand,and seemed very clueless to me as far as the issues with the car. He said he has only driven it around 15 minutes since he had it "fixed" because there was "paper or something in the fuel tank". Also I asked him if he has had the car long,and he replied yes "for about 5-6 months". That doesn't seem too long to me, but maybe I am just an idiot.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
7/28/12 12:12 p.m.

I talked to him briefly Thursday as well. I asked about the a/c (has a/c but doesn't work) and if it ran well and he said yes.

He was hard to understand though. I figured it is worth checking out, hopefully get it for 600 or 700 if all checks out.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
7/28/12 6:15 p.m.

It sold before I got there. :(

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
7/28/12 6:31 p.m.

Sad panda . . . my cousin had one these when I was younger. It was a nice little car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4C0l06VrY08ASxDJ0Q4zkcYkYWtlUlW4x1tV9YC8Ft24CrRkejZ2IqCIv8rV91w0