1 2
m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
5/23/11 10:21 a.m.

It is a '92 Montero SR

Since it is a '92 it has the 3.0 SOHC engine, not the 3.5 DOHC that the later SR had.

It does not have the rear air locker. I don't know of the diffs are as big as the later SR got either.

This one was over heated, to the point of having no compression. I'll tear into her this coming weekend.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
5/23/11 10:53 a.m.

I've got a sick infactuation with those, as well as '80s Troopers and FJ80 Land Cruisers... something about the box, looks like it'd take an artillery shell well.

Neat truck!

bluej
bluej Dork
5/23/11 11:58 a.m.

take 3.5 long block, add 3kgt turbo manifolds/etc.., tune, 500/500 at the wheels easy!

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/23/11 12:00 p.m.
bluej wrote: take 3.5 long block, add 3kgt turbo manifolds/etc.., tune, 500/500 at the wheels easy!

On this line, how hard would it be to swap the 6g72 TT in it wholesale?

bluej
bluej Dork
5/23/11 12:48 p.m.

Tranny should bolt right up which is the biggee. Might have to do some intake mani swappage depending in what intercooling path you intend. Iirc, it should be pretty straightforward for a grm'er. Do this in reverse: http://wrenchmonkey.com/Webpages/6G74swap.html

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/23/11 1:07 p.m.

HMMM. I like it.

/off to CL to find a montero!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
5/23/11 2:33 p.m.

Dig the white wheels

Matt_Smith
Matt_Smith New Reader
5/23/11 2:59 p.m.

This is exactly what I want for my DD. I have the twin turbos ready for it already!

Vigo
Vigo Dork
5/23/11 3:34 p.m.

Im pretty sure that it NOT being DOHC was a selling point in this case, and i dont think the DOHC+turbo swap makes financial sense either unless you get most of the parts for less than they're worth. Until you're shooting for 600whp or over, the DOHC swap will always be more expensive and more catastrophic-failure-prone than pushing the 12v. Consider here that the OP has already lost one expensive pile of parts to a highly unlikely timing belt problem and probably isnt looking for another one.

The sohc is an extremely sturdy motor (same as dohc bottom end with almost none of the failure points from the top end) that takes boost well. A basic turbo setup would be great if the power turns out to be inadequate.

Speaking of 500/500, that's been proven possible with the 12v as well, but the sohc 3si crowd is so brainwashed with penis envy over the dohc top end that they usually either give up or dump thousands of dollars into a swap only to end up at the same place they'd be with a 12v turbo setup for less money. I wouldnt look to them for advice on the 12v.

Matt_Smith
Matt_Smith New Reader
5/23/11 3:39 p.m.

In reply to bluej:

You're forgetting the TD05 upgrade with Evo III 16Gs, 680cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, afpr, and a SAFC.

Then....500/500 at the wheels easy

bluej
bluej Dork
5/23/11 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Matt_Smith: Well of course the fuel/controller but I thought 500 was about the easy limit with supporting mods for 15Gs on the stock 6g72. Factor in higher comp of the stock 74 and more displacement and it should make the 500 level less stressed to achieve, right? I've been out of the 3s platform for a while now so I could be wrong. my original comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek as well.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
5/23/11 11:43 p.m.

60psi is the highest compression on any cylinder. All the rest are <20psi.

Can't wait to get the heads off.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
5/23/11 11:52 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
bluej wrote: take 3.5 long block, add 3kgt turbo manifolds/etc.., tune, 500/500 at the wheels easy!
On this line, how hard would it be to swap the 6g72 TT in it wholesale?

Never seen one, though I have seen a short wheelbase Dodge Raider (captive-import Montero) with a 1JZ -GTE swap:

http://www.dentsport.com/2008/06/11/building-a-1jzgte-powered-swb-monteroraider/

m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
5/31/11 12:03 p.m.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
5/31/11 12:15 p.m.

ouch.. how do you crack a head there?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
5/31/11 1:14 p.m.

Apparently lack of any coolant.

The PO really did the truck in.

The highest compression on any cylinder is 60psi. All the rest are under 30 - a few so low that I can't get a reading on my compression tester.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
5/31/11 1:19 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: ouch.. how do you crack a head there?

Many VW diesels have larger cracks than that between the valves and still run. To rebuild a TDI you pretty much have to have the head welded or buy a new casting.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
5/31/11 1:34 p.m.

How would you weld up a crack like that? I know it's done at least on aluminum heads, but would a replacement head be that much more expensive? This is not a Nascar head.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
5/31/11 1:35 p.m.

I guess that delays the zebra stripe paint scheme.

GuamSTI
GuamSTI New Reader
6/10/11 2:07 a.m.

I was just thinking about buying/building this year and model montero. I had one when my kids were younger

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
8/20/12 9:42 a.m.

It runs!

And drives!

Big thanks to Adam (Vigo) for the replacement block/heads and Jonny Pruitt for giving me a hand. Much love!

I sitll need to get a replacement radiator, fix a leaking trans cooler line, fix some exhaust issues - but it runs!

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/20/12 9:59 p.m.

Woo! Congrats! Im glad to see those parts go to good use. Carting a cute happy family around in a 4wd for little trips here and there will be a better use than i could have managed!

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
8/20/12 10:18 p.m.

Awesome! I kinda want one but haven't found any in my price range.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
1/10/13 11:28 p.m.

After almost two years of ownership, I'm taking the Montero out on the highway tomorrow - hopefully no issues and I'll go get an inspection and be able to use it. I'm still under $800 all in on it.

I owe a ̶b̶i̶g̶ HUGE thanks to Adam and Jonny! For material, emotional, and physical support with it. Now I have a parts hauler, tow vehicle, beach comber, and camping truck.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
1/11/13 12:01 a.m.

Sweet! The message board is slowly realizing that 80s Japanese boxes are the answer!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iRA8wwqCU5I4OLSLZ48gsrU2p8U5is8cNeXavR7yuOA4zcAPmTLaxm7l5vl9uye3