1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/11/11 3:49 p.m.

We recently spent some more time with a MINI Countryman. So, what do you guys think about it?

Linky: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2011-mini-cooper-s-countryman-all4/

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/11/11 3:53 p.m.

I hate the Countryman so much I don't even really like the new MINIs that much.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
10/11/11 4:05 p.m.

They should call it a Maxi.

If my wife had her way, she'd burn all of those Maxis. She's MINI fanatical like that.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/11/11 4:19 p.m.

One thing about the Countryman - it's got more rally cred than the other MINIs do. It's the base for the surprisingly good WRC car.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
10/11/11 4:20 p.m.

i dont' like anything about them. at all.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
10/11/11 4:21 p.m.

You know it's funny I drive an original austin mini and consider myself somewhat of a purest but me and the wife drove one and it looks like it would be a great replacement for her golf as a family hauler. Also I love seeing mini returning to top tier rallying, something I haven't seen done with the other poser new minis. Either way in my opinion anything from the BMW backed all caps MINI is a pretender to the thrown, now they just make something fun to drive with room for the family and the St Bernard.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
10/11/11 4:22 p.m.

lets just change the subject to fiat 500s.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
10/11/11 4:25 p.m.

Hate it.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
10/11/11 4:31 p.m.

I'm sort of enamored with the countryman. I think it gets a bad rap for the badge it has. Were it any other make, I think people would like it more. Aside from that stupid center bar that runs the length of the cabin. REALLY ruins the interior. Wife's in love with it. We'd probably consider it if the all4 turbo wasn't so stinkin' expensive.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/11/11 4:33 p.m.

Lots of money for a small, heavy car.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
10/11/11 4:56 p.m.

MG or Austin made a Maxi ,once upon a time, forget which.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/11/11 4:57 p.m.

I like them, but they cost waaaaayyyyyy too much.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
10/11/11 5:14 p.m.

Haven't driven it. Did drive the new coupe, which is great fun... other than having next to no visibility and looking as though a turtle was welded to its head.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/11/11 5:20 p.m.

I thought the Ford Flex was the really, really big MINI.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 New Reader
10/11/11 6:21 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I like them, but they cost waaaaayyyyyy too much.

This!

Not may new cars you can get AWD with a stick these days. Not to mention small-ish, and turbo. I really dig it, though I've done nothing but read about them and look at pictures on-line. I've only seen one in the wild. I can think of a couple hundred other things I'd spend $35K on before one of these though.

I even dig the light coffee color, but SWMBO would never go for it. I hate the center rail, would have to get the 2 piece one, and WTF is with having to get a $2K optional package to get an arm rest?

• Lee
Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
10/11/11 6:27 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

I hadn't really thought of it that way, but you're right - it is one of few compact SUV's available with a manual trans. That said, I still think its too expensive for what you get. Once the MINI fanatics who have pining for an awd MINI get theirs, I'm not sure how many they'll sell.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/11/11 6:58 p.m.

I don't get it and I don't like it. What cars are people choosing this over? I don't see what its target demographic/segment is.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/11/11 7:01 p.m.

Yuck.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
10/11/11 8:00 p.m.

It's tiguan competition

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
10/11/11 8:03 p.m.

Oh and by the way if you want to talk about not a mini the coupe is the stupidest thing I've ever seen, I think of the countryman as a modern mini moke, I know it's a stretch.. But did I mention how stupid I think the coupe is?

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
10/11/11 8:05 p.m.

One thumb up for the Cooper. Two thumbs up for the Cooper S. Even the Goodwood gets a pass. But the Countryman is a gimmick gone too far.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/11/11 8:09 p.m.

I saw on of the ALL4's on the road and it had dimensions similar to an original Rav4

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
10/11/11 8:32 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I thought the Ford Flex was the really, really big MINI.

The Flex is just a big toaster, with twin turbos.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
10/11/11 8:40 p.m.
iceracer wrote: MG or Austin made a Maxi ,once upon a time, forget which.

Aaaggghhhhhhh NNNOOOOOooooooooo......

There are piles of E36 M3, steaming piles of E36 M3, complete utter total steaming piles of E36 M3, then there are total, complete utter unimaginably bad steaming piles of E36 M3, and finally there was the Austin Maxi

Do not ever utter the words Maxi in conjunction with any automobile ever again.

Oh, BTW I like the Countryman

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
10/11/11 8:57 p.m.

Hmm, a loaded Countryman, or a Subaru STi. Some decisions are hard. This one is not.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
glnmGZsNnVzGcGkZSlIe1nu9euUm9i7ghBfnksVnW9tawJJGqsaz4wmrwtlWo8uM