DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/7/21 12:09 p.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/7/21 12:16 p.m.

Just 30 minutes from my house if anyone "needs" me to test drive it for them!  

A very serious dirt oval in the same town.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/7/21 1:17 p.m.

The perfect daily commuter!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/7/21 1:26 p.m.

I'm curious if that would have passed an out of state inspection or self-assembled vehicle inspection, I kind of doubt it.  I assume they just riveted a pre-existing VIN number to it, and didn't have it inspected as a custom build.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/7/21 1:30 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

The V8 Ariel Atom that was built by Palatov ended up in Grand Junction. It had an Atom/tree interface incident brought on by a high power/weight ratio and cold Hoosier tires, and the news report identified the vehicle as something I had to look up. Turns out it was a 60's VW kit car. Someone cheated on the VIN...

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/7/21 2:26 p.m.

I don't know about Ohio rules. but that can readily be road registered in Michigan , just like any other home built kit-car builds. I'm more curious about how one would get insurance for something like this, or any other highly modified vehicle. For example, my Challenge Corolla has a legitimate VIN, with a full tube chassis and a GM V8. I'll bet my insurance agent would start to twitch if I ran that by him.

freetors
freetors Reader
12/10/21 9:41 p.m.

I'm pretty sure you can register anything with lights in Oklahoma.

drock25too
drock25too Reader
12/10/21 11:23 p.m.

In reply to freetors :

Kind of like that in Arkansas. If you can get someone to insure it, you can register it. I can't imagine that you would ever have trouble with the local law enforcement. There used to be a guy around here that bought an old dirt modified and put a windshield and lights on it and got it registered. He said he got pulled over nearly every time he drove it.  Some times they just wanted to look at it and others they really gave him a hard time.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
12/11/21 12:29 a.m.

There's an FB group I read sometimes dedicated to street legal dirt cars. I'm so into it. I think my home state of NC would be an easy state to get one registered.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/11/21 1:16 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

Turns out it was a 60's VW kit car. Someone cheated on the VIN...

I've wondered about that when it comes to rare cars. If you build a Locost and stick on VIN plates from some obscure pre-smog car, what are the odds that it could ever come back and bite you? "Well officer, it started out as a 1966 International, but it's been modified a lot over the years....."

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
12/11/21 1:17 a.m.

There is a guy in Washington that has a street legal sprint car and he uses it as a push vehicle at sprint car races.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/11/21 7:50 a.m.

It's Michigan. Anything goes. I was talking to a guy who imported a European Ford capri a while ago. When the police came to 'inspect' it the only thing they looked at was to check the speedo was in miles per hour. That is the only check it received. When I was first here in the states in 1994 I'd only been here a few weeks and I saw a road registered Bigfoot. I mean one of the early actual Bigfoot monster trucks, driving down the street. You can register absolutely anything here in Michigan

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
12/11/21 8:12 a.m.

That would be hard to do in Virginia.  And West Virginia, where you would think it would be lax, is even tougher than Virginia- or at least it was when I lived there 25 years ago. 

Edit: but WV is fairly lax on ATV / UTV since it's such a big industry with the trail network.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
12/11/21 9:57 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Where I live it's legal to drive on the beach with a street registered vehicle. Years ago a family used to bring their plated quads to drive on the beach. They were quite respectful but the NPS decided to change the rules to ban them.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/11/21 11:33 a.m.

Meanwhile in British Columbia they just banned military vehicles from being licensed. 

Province quietly bans ex-military vehicles, West Van collector says - BC News - Castanet.net

There are a lot of military Hummers, blazers Iltis Jeeps and pickups running around that are now hanger queens. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/13/21 5:40 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

I seem to recall something a couple of years ago here south of the boarder.  When the armed services were selling off a lot of old Humvees some of them were going dirt dirt cheap, like a couple of grand.  I seem to recall there was something that they couldn't be lichened for road use under any circumstances.  Now, I know a lot have been despite this, but I think it really limited the market.  It was about that time that you started to see lot's of old Humvees outside fireworks shops, Army sapless shops, landscaping centers etc.  Just parked there to catch the attention either with a business owned paint scheme, or still in desert drab.  Anyone else remember this?  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gWWzVW5W7HZdrn5cWYDKvJXZ3ictJG72JxeeoQBJlvqUt6rbxsiPlzISaUFLnaQS