1 2 3
The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/13/19 12:39 p.m.

Via Jalopnik

JCW Mini GP, 300 HP, love it or hate it aero speculation by the teaser of the wing.

Currently wishing I could justify a purchase of something like that.

Speculation seems to be it will look like the 2017 concept.

I'm actually excitedly waiting to see what shows up in April now. For a Mini announcement. I guess there's a first time for everything.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/13/19 12:54 p.m.

I have never for a moment considered owning a BMW Mini until now.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/13/19 12:55 p.m.

Too bad it will probably be like $45-50k.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/13/19 12:55 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Too bad it will probably be like $45k.

Yep, but depreciation will hit it hard...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/13/19 12:59 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
z31maniac said:

Never mind, I just went and saw what the current ones cost. 

I expect this to base north of $50k.

I had no idea MINI was charging that much for cars. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/13/19 1:00 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

But slowly.  Due to the limited production numbers and generally light usage, the JCW GP models have held their values better than lesser models.

In reply to z31maniac :

Maybe... the base 2 door JCW is a bit under $34K, which adjusted for inflation is less than what my 2006 JCW cost when it was new.   I "built" a lot of JCW cars back in 2006 and $30K was about as cheap as you could make them. 

What concerns me more is the rumors I've read so far indicate the new GP will only get an 8 speed automatic. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/13/19 1:11 p.m.

I'm with you. Right when they went Turbo, I REALLY wanted a JCW, but at the time I didn't make enough to justify one. And I still had my R6 for fun.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/13/19 1:18 p.m.

I'm still more of an R53 supercharged fan.  Mostly because I have more experience with them.  That said, mine is starting to lose its luster with me and I find myself wanting a classic Mini again. 

If you add some option packages, it's definitely easy to get a JCW well into the 40's. Last year I saw a Clubman JCW and nearly choked when I saw the sticker.  Close to $50K. 

twowheeled
twowheeled New Reader
2/13/19 4:06 p.m.

aren't mini's some of the most unreliable and hard to work on cars ever made?

_
_ Reader
2/13/19 4:24 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I have never for a moment considered owning a BMW Mini.

Fixed. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
2/13/19 4:34 p.m.

and yet the Focus RS is panned by so many.

Sorry, no.  The Mini is too little too late and too unreliable.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/13/19 4:59 p.m.
twowheeled said:

aren't mini's some of the most unreliable and hard to work on cars ever made?

Maybe... and no.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
2/13/19 5:01 p.m.

I feel like the different generations of Minis get lumped together a lot, and there's a lot of confusion generated by the "BMW Mini" thing, because while it may have been a subsidiary of BMW the whole time, it's only been actually, mechanically, a BMW in this most recent generation. I have one, and I have no idea what the broad reliability picture is, but mine's been fine (I'm not asserting anything about their statistical reliability, just pointing out that the current cars are very different from the first two modern iterations).

I also think the pricing is a little berzerk. We got what we wanted and were willing to pay for it when compared to all our other options, but the bottom line is that we paid about $28k for not only not a JCW, but not even an S, with I think a pretty sane option list.

Apologies for tangent where I sound like a broken record: Why, VW? I like the Mini fine, but three years in we wish it were bigger, and we'd be driving a Sportwagen right now if not for all that misbehavior.

Less-off-topic: What's with the barge boards on a road car? I don't recall the specifics of their function on an F1 car beyond guiding airflow around the body, but is it really applicable here?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/13/19 5:57 p.m.

Is it bad that when I saw "JCW" I thought "J. C. Whitney?"

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/13/19 8:10 p.m.
Stefan said:

Who panned the RS?

I think most were disappointed, like with the GT350, a car that's advertised as "track-ready" off the floor, needs extra cooling for more than one system to not overheat and go into limp mode.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
2/13/19 8:42 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

You're not alone.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
2/13/19 8:48 p.m.

We had a 2006 JCW MINI and completely stock it made 206 hp to the wheels and did 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds. It was a great little car.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/13/19 9:25 p.m.
z31maniac said:
GameboyRMH said:
z31maniac said:

Never mind, I just went and saw what the current ones cost. 

I expect this to base north of $50k.

I had no idea MINI was charging that much for cars. 

Gp cars dont depreciate like regular minis. I chased an r53 for a long time. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
2/13/19 9:56 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Stefan said:

Who panned the RS?

I think most were disappointed, like with the GT350, a car that's advertised as "track-ready" off the floor, needs extra cooling for more than one system to not overheat and go into limp mode.

Quite a few did and most ignored it because the Honda was released shortly after.

I’ve done a few track days with mine; roll up, unload the car seats, stroller, etc. add some air to the tires put it in Sport or Race mode and go at it.  Only had a little brake fade from pushing too hard.  Fresh fluid and new pads solved that, but that’s after 2 years of abuse.  

Even Ford’s own Adrenalin Academy hasn’t had any cooling issues with theirs and generally they find it only happens if people drive like complete imbeciles with Drift Mode on, etc.  Other RS owners I’ve spoken to at the track haven’t had cooling issues either.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/13/19 11:07 p.m.

That looks insane and amazing in a good way.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/14/19 10:25 a.m.

Looks like a worthy competitor to the Civic Type R.   

The "real world" pricing will probably be similar too.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/14/19 10:27 a.m.

This is the one that has the 2 series motor in it now right. So got to be better the the R56/53's of yore in terms of reliability. 

Now is it manual or not that is the question. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/14/19 11:04 a.m.

I wish it was some sort of secret how good JCWs were so I could get one cheap. cheeky

I trust an r53 engine derived from a Dodge Neon more than i trust most modern BMW designs, but then again if they're asking $50,000 for it you would think BMW would have it figured out... right??angel

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/14/19 11:31 a.m.

Considering the Focus RS makes 350hp and the next Golf R will be making ~400hp, a 300hp Mini seems....underwhelming.  Especially given the price and the fact that the back seats are useless.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/14/19 11:32 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

If it's like the previous GP models, the back seat complaint will be moot. 

In reply to Vigo :

Mine will probably be for sale in a year or so.  I miss having a classic too much.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MR7F0KT94qaUDUFvZcLzndLVfOqOCR1MP7W1239TmsQlIk6lXrZuwdQSNaR9mtzE