2 3 4
Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi HalfDork
6/5/14 6:44 p.m.

Let me know if you have any minor issues with it. I've been through a bunch with mine (traction control, ABS, active handling module), steering wheel lock, locked out (my fault). The nice thing with a C5Z is that literally every possible problem has been well documented on the internet. I fixed all my issues myself.

BTW...if you're ever locked out of it, it's the easiest car in the world to slim-jim into. A heavy built dip-stick out of an old Jeep is practically made for the job

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
6/6/14 11:56 a.m.

Will do, thanks! I usually make a valet copy of my car keys to keep in the wallet, stems from the days when I was too poor to afford AAA.

Is the column lock a huge issue? I was hoping to put that portion of it off for a few months.

I lucked out in that the mechanic we usually deal with for stuff I don't have the time/tools to do used to be a mechanic @ Les Stanford Chevrolet (The self-proclaimed Corvette King). I'm most likely going to have him do the oil change/trans fluid/diff fluid change for me before the trip.

I washed & hit the car with quick detailer last night. Got legitimate plates on it today. Will snap some better pictures and start a build thread over the weekend.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi HalfDork
6/7/14 2:12 p.m.

The steering wheel lock can be a big issue if you get caught away from home with it. It's been awhile since mine failed but there is a way to unlock it. It's a bit brutal but is effective and doesn't actually damage the car. What you need to do (and it helps if you train with weights) is grab the wheel with both hands at 9 and at 3 o'clock and turn it forcefully back and forth against the lock. Just like you're trying to rip the wheel off the column. Then using one hand at 3 o'clock put constant pressure against the lock with all your mite. Using your other hand and jiggle the key in the ignition. If you get it right it WILL unlock. Once you've got it unlocked you need to install the bypass ASAP. Google the bypass and you'll see what I'm talking about

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SHpAgmzPxzsAWaPfIaUh1spBgtBv8DtOwPTyy2lImubOGWa1bK0qZBxFRccKJQLr