2 3 4 5 6
carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/25/13 7:59 p.m.

Another feature of the article would have to be those line drawings overlays that let you see exactly the difference in sizes between all the manufacturer's V8s so you could see WHY the LS series.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
1/25/13 8:06 p.m.

Challenge car crazy ideas? One that has been rattling around my brain is an early Impreza. The twist is keeping it AWD. The truck based LSx's use a diff that bolts to the side of the motor so you use the Chevy front diff and the stock Subie rear diff. IIRC you can find ratios that match using the stock front diff from certain Chevy trucks. The downside is no cheap manual trans is available with AWD. The stock 4l65 should be good enough and a paddle shift setup could be fabbed with stock chevy parts. I know the center diff can be electronically controlled to vary front to rear slip so your preferred bias can be set with a fairly simple pwm circuit. I would think you could probably set it in the factory computer if you knew where to look. The engine would be set back quite a bit farther than the Subie mill so weight distribution should be pretty good.

Less nutty: Test the swaps offered: Vorshlag E46, a Hinson RX8, a Flyin Miata Miata, the guys with the XK8 kit, etc... Good advertiser tie in going that route.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
1/25/13 8:06 p.m.

To the OP . Mid engine early sixties Falcon. Enjoy the festivities at Daytona.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
1/25/13 8:22 p.m.

And of course, you've all seen Greg Voth's V-8 Volvo already.

Roar

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/25/13 9:53 p.m.

Every time I see the thread title I have to scratch my head to remember what it's about.

The first thing that always comes to mind is:

I've got the fever - Boogie Fever!

Margie is on the front row (3rd from the left) right next to Tim. Tim's looking a little shaggy. I'm thinking it's time for a trip to the barber.

Tommy is far right on the front.

Boogie Fever

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/25/13 11:54 p.m.
Warren v wrote:
tuna55 wrote: For my interests, a Europa, a Seven or a Exocet
PLEASE! I really, really want to see this as soon as possible.

If they did a kit car it would be the Factory Five thingy, since the design contest was GRM-affiliated.

Crazy is Better:
Big block trabant, track aztek

bluej
bluej Dork
1/26/13 12:31 a.m.

Hmmm.. "The Aztrack"

it does have a ring to it...

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
1/26/13 6:41 a.m.

I am surprised no one has said this.

GRM already has a Subie wagon with a blown motor in the fleet. I think this would be a really cool car. I don't know if you would want to try and keep it 4wd or convert it to 2wd. Either would be really interesting.

I like this build as if it was not to hard to do there seem to be a lot of subaru wagons around with bad motors. This combined with the availability of LM7's and the more rare LM4's make for a inexpensive 400 hp subie wagon. However with hood clearance issues probably going to be a factor you would probably want a motor from a camaro or corvette.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
1/26/13 11:01 a.m.

E36

RX-8 (give it the torque it deserves, eliminate triangle issues)

5-series (build your own M-car)

996 (less GRM, but we all want one)

Any Ferrari, but a 400i would be awesome

Volvo wagon, but only if you make it mid-engine

David

88TSI_Rob
88TSI_Rob New Reader
1/26/13 11:52 a.m.

I like the BMW Z3 idea. Also thought of a Subaru SVX, 8-Series BMW, or Early-mid '90's 300ZX

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Reader
1/26/13 11:52 a.m.

Already suggested

Jag XK8 then do a test against an Aston Martin if someone is stupid enough to loan you one.

Or the Catera and then test against a CTS-V.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
1/26/13 12:22 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I am surprised no one has said this. GRM already has a Subie wagon with a blown motor in the fleet. I think this would be a really cool car. I don't know if you would want to try and keep it 4wd or convert it to 2wd. Either would be really interesting.

It's been done, but not often, and never professionally publisized, that I've seen.

AWD will be all but impossible, there just isn't enough length in front of that monster transmission. It's a good chassis for rwd, but keep in mind you simply MUST use the STi's R200 and good halfshafts or make up a whole new rear end, the R160s and R180s won't stand up to that torque AT ALL. Even the R200 won't often hold to over 400hp when it's the sole diff.

Hood clearance isn't a big deal, but the central bit of upper rad support basically needs to be relocated a few inches forward depending where everything ends up, so kiss the factory hood latch goodbye.

LS into WRX

Cool swap, but an invasive one.

See also: LS into GRM rallycross Mercedes, the Corvair, or the Edsel.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
1/26/13 12:41 p.m.
ValuePack wrote:
dean1484 wrote: I am surprised no one has said this. GRM already has a Subie wagon with a blown motor in the fleet. I think this would be a really cool car. I don't know if you would want to try and keep it 4wd or convert it to 2wd. Either would be really interesting.
It's been done, but not often, and never professionally publisized, that I've seen. AWD will be all but impossible, there just isn't enough length in front of that monster transmission. It's a good chassis for rwd, but keep in mind you simply MUST use the STi's R200 and good halfshafts or make up a whole new rear end, the R160s and R180s won't stand up to that torque AT ALL. Even the R200 won't often hold to over 400hp when it's the sole diff. Hood clearance isn't a big deal, but the central bit of upper rad support basically needs to be relocated a few inches forward depending where everything ends up, so kiss the factory hood latch goodbye. LS into WRX Cool swap, but an invasive one. See also: LS into GRM rallycross Mercedes, the Corvair, or the Edsel.

See my post at the top of the page for AWD suggestions. The Chevy front diff is on the front half of the motor not the trans bellhousing like the Subie. Instead of shoving the motor forward like Subaru does you shove it backwards. Great for clearance in front of the motor but he tunnel will have to be modded. How much tunnel modification would determine whether it could be a street/kit type conversion or would have to be a one off race car type conversion.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/26/13 12:55 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: Or the Catera and then test against a CTS-V.

Cimmeron. Make a beast out of the most unloved caddy ever.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
1/26/13 1:00 p.m.

Old racing cars are cheap. Old Cosworth DFVs and DFXs are expensive. They are the same size as an LS1.

I vote Williams FW07, but you are more likely to find a "needs engine" road course Indycar from before 1992 (pre-Illmor B) for a decent price.

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
1/26/13 1:10 p.m.
AverageH wrote: I vote a Mercedes with the w123 or 124 chassis. They are more readily available, and engine swamps are typically only done with later Mercedes running gear. They handle well too! Make it interesting and convert a diesel over to the LS. -Hamid

Poo Leaze do this one!

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
1/26/13 1:19 p.m.

<a href=" photo 88cc64add6d7bd20-large1_zps4d071b6d.jpg">Or this,

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/26/13 1:47 p.m.

Want something different? Something original? A vehicle that has been mentioned on this board before?

AMC Eagle SX/4

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
1/26/13 3:24 p.m.

dekon-clone monza!

theenico
theenico New Reader
1/26/13 4:18 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: dekon-clone monza!

^^^^^ Hell yes!

ransom
ransom SuperDork
1/26/13 7:39 p.m.

Street/track/autox toy out of disused circle track car. Not sure how Florida is with titling custom/scratch builds, but it would be a heck of a thing, provide a home that can cope with LS power comfortably, and show what can be done with reasonably-priced circle track hardware.

Wally
Wally UltimaDork
1/26/13 8:13 p.m.

It's probably not much longer or heavier than the 5 cyl.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/26/13 8:29 p.m.

I'm liking the W123 suggestions. Of everything proposed, this seems like the most likely one to get done.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
1/26/13 11:31 p.m.

I've been wanting a W123 beater for a while as I just had my second kid, but I'm still with a miata and a spitfire (wifey drives a Patriot). She likes the Mercedes idea for the room and comfort. I like it for the same reasons, but I really want it for the potential! If GRM can cram an LS in that cram-hole, I'll be stoked! It will give me something to dream about when the kids are asleep.

-Hamid

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/26/13 11:47 p.m.

I've never understood the "I can't do that because it's popular" aspect of car modification myself. I didn't build the LS1 MGB GT because it hadn't been done, I built it because it was the car I wanted when I was done. It's a much better reason than just trying (too) hard to be different. Seriously, an Eagle?

chaparral wrote: Old racing cars are cheap. Old Cosworth DFVs and DFXs are expensive. They are the same size as an LS1. I vote Williams FW07, but you are more likely to find a "needs engine" road course Indycar from before 1992 (pre-Illmor B) for a decent price.

Now THAT sounds interesting. Can you make an LS engine into a stressed member, as a DFV often is? Sure, you couldn't really run it anywhere other than track days, but the UTCC falls within that category...

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JbldsPWb07ZBaLRIJC54z73Wm4nZwPKNnAAapb30l0Po0MTyACeR3Opw6Yo2MkV5