3 4 5 6 7
Pat
Pat Reader
1/27/13 6:49 a.m.

If you want a great LS project that would have an appeal to GRM readers and open up opportunity to another cluster of true grassroots racers, build a low buck Land Speed car. I ran at Maxton a few years ago with Andrew Nelson and it was a blast. The creativity and ingenuity there was amazing. The LSR guys are truly grassroots, home built racers.

So, the idea: I’ve been talking to Andrew about his LSR work a lot over the last year or so. I know that he still has his ’74 Datsun that he ran at the Challenge a few years back. That same car won Hot Rod Magazine’s Home Built Heroes – Quickest for Cheapest back in 2007 (I have the article…will scan and post later). Since then, the Nelson’s started the process of converting the Datsun into an LSR car on the cheap. I’d suggest GRM work with Andrew to drop a cheap LS into the Datsun and shoot for 200 mph. Depending on how in depth you’d want to go, you could do a whole build series on it complete with low buck tech tips. 200 mph $2000 (or whatever the decided amount is) would be awesome. Pushing it even further, build another LS car with a focus on handling and get both to the Challenge as exhibition cars.

Andrew…if you’re reading this, you know you want to.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
1/27/13 7:40 a.m.

I wish the GRM staff built and entered their own $2013 Challenge car. It would be a fun goal to knock off the Pro's.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/27/13 7:45 a.m.

I think that was the original goal of the $500 yellow miata they bought (the one that just did a track day at Sebring) but they found out that they'd have to put too much money into it to get it to the standard they want.

Pat
Pat Reader
1/27/13 8:05 a.m.
Gasoline wrote: I wish the GRM staff built and entered their own $2013 Challenge car. It would be a fun goal to knock off the Pro's.

They can't keep up with us.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
1/27/13 9:22 a.m.

$5000 budget.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/28/13 8:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Seriously, an Eagle?

Not completely seriously. I should have put one of these in there

An LS powered AWD rally car would be interesting. Harvesting junkyard drivetrain components (like a full time New Venture transfer case from a junked SUV) would be something that as far as I know hasn't been done in a magazine yet.

If it happened to have an Eagle skin on top of it, that just keeps it different.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/28/13 8:15 a.m.
Pat wrote: If you want a great LS project that would have an appeal to GRM readers and open up opportunity to another cluster of true grassroots racers, build a low buck Land Speed car. I ran at Maxton a few years ago with Andrew Nelson and it was a blast. The creativity and ingenuity there was amazing. The LSR guys are truly grassroots, home built racers. So, the idea: I’ve been talking to Andrew about his LSR work a lot over the last year or so. I know that he still has his ’74 Datsun that he ran at the Challenge a few years back. That same car won Hot Rod Magazine’s Home Built Heroes – Quickest for Cheapest back in 2007 (I have the article…will scan and post later). Since then, the Nelson’s started the process of converting the Datsun into an LSR car on the cheap. I’d suggest GRM work with Andrew to drop a cheap LS into the Datsun and shoot for 200 mph. Depending on how in depth you’d want to go, you could do a whole build series on it complete with low buck tech tips. 200 mph $2000 (or whatever the decided amount is) would be awesome. Pushing it even further, build another LS car with a focus on handling and get both to the Challenge as exhibition cars. Andrew…if you’re reading this, you know you want to.

I think this is a great idea. I'd bump up the LSR budget a bit, it doesn't need to be Challenge budget level, but below pro competition levels too.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/28/13 8:30 a.m.

OK, last time I chime in here for now. For the second part of Pat's suggestion, the LS for handling part, what about something like Karl's C3 Vette? (Without the toupee top, wheels & interior). Taking a disco refugee Corvette and rebuilding it all out could be interesting. Not like the C4 project from a few years ago, more hardcore handling, less street. I'm not thinking a Pro Touring car, but a race car with a license plate.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
1/28/13 8:50 a.m.

I think I have a plan.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/so-i-want-to-build-an-m5/59759/page1/

nocones
nocones Dork
1/28/13 9:14 a.m.

I like the LSR idea.

nocones
nocones Dork
1/28/13 9:32 a.m.
petegossett wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Grassroots, Motorsports oriented, appealing to a crowd that has a predilection for racing and classic cars. Quite a few Gyro-gearloose types in the crowd who joneses for a good fabrication article. Well, the answer is obvious. You MUST build an LS1 powered Europa.
I'll volunteer my spare as a willing victim, as long as I get to flog the dog snot out of it once its done!

Is this offer open to Anyone

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/28/13 9:39 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

Not. Really. Interested. In. Another. LS. Swap.
Not. Really. Interested. In. Another. BMW. Seriously, you may not have done it before, but it's already been done so many times it's boring.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/28/13 9:50 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: I think I have a plan. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/so-i-want-to-build-an-m5/59759/page1/

We give you Europa, Seven and Morris and you give us BMW 3 series? Ugh.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
1/28/13 10:08 a.m.

http://www.e9coupe.com

Or:

An Allante or Reatta.

rotard
rotard Dork
1/28/13 11:03 a.m.

E36. Supra. 300zx. You could compare an LSX version of a base model 300zx to a modified 300zx TT. It'd be interesting.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/28/13 11:07 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Tim Suddard: Not. Really. Interested. In. Another. LS. Swap. Seriously, you may not have done it before, but it's already been done so many times it's boring.

Until I've done it then any more projects are proof of concept and help me decide how, when & even if I want to do it.

I'm sure there are others that feel that way too. Look at how many engine swap articles there've been on Hondas and they still keep doing them.

Anyway engine swaps have been the basis for hot rodding since cars began.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
1/28/13 11:17 a.m.

Every different body you stick an LS in is a different set of challenges of fitment, with lessons to be learned about what you can do to gain clearance, what can be moved, what can't, etc...

I'm looking forward to whatever it ends up being, to some extent regardless of what engine is used. The LSx is a remarkably weight-, space-, and cost-efficient means of developing a bunch of power. For a lot of stuff, I still think SBF for similar size and weight for significantly lower cost, if down on power, but I don't have a problem with LSx, and the other similarly effective options aren't going to win any originality contests either.

In any case, I'm not looking for a recipe to duplicate what they build. I want to see something cool built, and I want to hear details of the problems they encounter, and details of how they solve those problems. I want an article about putting engine X into car Y that teaches me principles I can use when I put engine Q into car Z, even though there will obviously be details that only apply to X->Y.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/28/13 11:22 a.m.

How about a chassis swap?

wspohn
wspohn Reader
1/28/13 1:42 p.m.

My absolute favourite swap is the one this guy is doing - 400 BHP LNF Ecotec 4 cylinder into a Lotus Europa that weighs 1600 lbs. (probably a few lbs more with the Ecotec than the Lotus Ford engine). About as close to an Ariel Atom as you can get in a closed 2 seater British car.

The guy in this link is using a Europa S (like Elise etc.) but I want to see one in an original Europa!

Ecotec Europa

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/28/13 1:51 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Tim Suddard: Not. Really. Interested. In. Another. LS. Swap. Seriously, you may not have done it before, but it's already been done so many times it's boring.
Until I've done it then any more projects are proof of concept and help me decide how, when & even if I want to do it. I'm sure there are others that feel that way too. Look at how many engine swap articles there've been on Hondas and they still keep doing them. Anyway engine swaps have been the basis for hot rodding since cars began.

I'm sure there's plenty of people that feel the way I do too. And you can get as many LS swaps as you can stomach in other magazines, which is my point - It's old news. And I didn't say anything negative about engine swaps, thanks.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/28/13 1:53 p.m.
oldtin wrote: How about a chassis swap?

Now that's interesting.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/28/13 1:57 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote: I think I have a plan. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/so-i-want-to-build-an-m5/59759/page1/
We give you Europa, Seven and Morris and you give us BMW 3 series? Ugh.

This. Seriously, this.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
1/28/13 2:18 p.m.

I would like to see a Prious with a mid engine LS.

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
1/28/13 2:30 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: I would like to see a Prious with a mid engine LS.

This so right!!!

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/28/13 2:45 p.m.
wspohn wrote: My absolute favourite swap is the one this guy is doing - 400 BHP LNF Ecotec 4 cylinder into a Lotus Europa that weighs 1600 lbs. (probably a few lbs more with the Ecotec than the Lotus Ford engine). About as close to an Ariel Atom as you can get in a closed 2 seater British car. The guy in this link is using a Europa S (like Elise etc.) but I want to see one in an original Europa! Ecotec Europa

And that doesn't come close to the RE Amemiya Lotus Europa.......I still think the n/a 20b in his build makes it the worlds most reliable europa....

3 4 5 6 7
Our Preferred Partners
M9gAjR7fWfLstEjAgnLZH2sIYXV8T8LVciD59jhM5TInxqFjHnoa5vpzD5TULHDZ