1 2 3 4
JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
11/8/17 4:50 p.m.
JoeTR6 said:

An American car.

Edit: Actually, I've owned two cars built in the US.  The M Coupe and Honda Element.   Both might have more American content than, say, a Fiesta.

OK, now I own an American car.  At least it has almost 10% American part content.

I've never owned a Swedish car.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
11/8/17 4:57 p.m.

Oh and aside from actually typing the words, brand loyalty is not in my vocabulary. 

I have ZERO.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
11/8/17 5:03 p.m.

I think I have owned everything. 

No I take that back I don't think I have ever owned a classic English car. 

I have never owned anything with more then 12 cylinders. 

Stampie
Stampie UltraDork
11/8/17 5:27 p.m.

I really really had to think but I'm pretty sure I've never owned a Chrysler product. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
11/8/17 5:41 p.m.

Nothing with forced induction. 

No V8 cars. (Had a 1990 Bronco so I can't say no V8s at all.)

Nothing particularly quick or fast. The fastest one yet was a '90 RX7 GXL.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/8/17 6:44 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Twin turbo German wagon with air ride suspension?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/8/17 7:20 p.m.

There's a LOT OF STUFF I HAVEN'T OWNED.

- Anything Korean, French, Italian, or English.  Or Soviet Bloc for that matter.  (VFTS Ladas fail to show up on Craigslist.  If I ever willingly buy a Korean car, you may safely assume that I am actually dead and you're seeing some sort of pod-people clone)

- Any Mopar or GM.  (GM: See Korean car.  Camaros and ATSs sway me, but then I come to my senses)

- Anything with a V6

- Anything with a three

- Anything with a small block V8, aka "the girlie man's V8"

- Anything the EPA or DOT would classify as a truck (although the QSW might qualify retroactively, since it has a load floor that is even with the tailgate and the rear seats fold down flush with same, the reason a PT Cruiser is classified as a truck)

- Anything AWD with limited slip differentials, active or passive

- Anything FWD with a limited slip differential, active or passive

- Anything with a carburetor with less than four barrels (the '81 RX-7 doesn't count, I never actually ATTACHED the 48 DHLA to it yet.  But my 429 had an Autolite 4300, the 460 had the Holley 3310 that now sits on one of my 13Bs, and all three/four/five/??? 12As had four-barrels, including for a few months my peripheral port 12A.  Six, six 12As had four-barrels...

- Anything with multiple carbs

- Anything with electronically controlled suspension

- Anything with more than one piston per caliper

- Anything with manual brakes

- Anything with a touchscreen "infotainment" center

- Anything with larger than 15" wheels from the factory

- Any import with 5 lug wheels

- Anything that wasn't embarrassingly slow when discussing quarter mile times (the best is the '84 RX-7 which has run a 13.6...7.  Teh Volvo ran high 18s on 4psi boost!  And the last running QSW I had would run times in the 19-20 second range, crossing the traps in 4th gear because it was geared so short)

- Anything with a discrete front differential

- Any AWD car that had a transverse engine (THREE longitudinal AWDs, though)

- Anything AWD with an automatic

- Anything that could be reflashed with J2534 compliant hardware

- Anything that was OBD-II "Code 9" compliant

- Anything with TPMS (want to retrofit this to all the cars, tho)

- Anything rear drive that had an IRS (the I stands for Inferior wink)

What is interesting is all of the things that Teh Volvo broke.  Before it, I never had anything with an automatic with more than three speeds (it has five!).  Never had a vehicle newer than the 1990s (1980s, if you're one of those weirdos who says 1990 is in the 80s)  Never had anything that had OBD-II, or could even be read with a scantool.  Never had anything that came from the factory with port injection. Never had anything with a multilink rear suspension, everything else was solid axles, twist beam, struts, or swingarms.  Never had anything with heated seats, or leather, or more than four speakers in the audio system.  Never had anything with a turbo.  Never had anything with DOHC.  Never had a four cylinder over 1800cc.  Never had a Swedish car.  Never regionally completely dominated a class in rallycross in every event that I entered and finished (Prepared FWD)...

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/8/17 7:38 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Anything boosted. Or Swedish. Or a "luxury car (my 82 Eldorado don't count). Or something that left the factory with a spoiler. 

If things go well this weekend, you can break all four by buying Teh Volvo!  Which might be coming up for sale.  If things go well.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/8/17 7:41 p.m.
wae said:

Anything that came from the factory as a two-seater

Um.... GSL-SE?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/8/17 7:46 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

I'm fairly astonished by how many of you haven't owned a truck, Jeep, or Miata.  

Truck or Jeep? My  family tree forks, thankyouverymuch.

Miata?  I may not have owned one but I may have pwnt a few.  (But only when the Luck Plane was tilting to my advantage.  Big power + RX-7 can be overcome by big power + NA6, when wielded correctly)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/8/17 7:50 p.m.

I own a truck, a Jeep and a Miata right now!

I've never owned a car that didn't get modified suspension and lighting.

wae
wae Dork
11/8/17 7:52 p.m.
Knurled. said:
wae said:

Um.... GSL-SE?

Wow.  How did I manage to forget about that?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/8/17 7:55 p.m.
WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed said:

Anything that I didn't improve the handling, braking, or engine performance on.

When I bought the '89 Golf, which the PO had converted to GTI suspension and brakes... "I'm going to leave this one STOCK"

Two weeks later:  Welding a piece of 24"x3"x1/8" steel into the rear beam, because The Internet said this was cool.  (It was.  Lifting a rear wheel in the Taco Bell drive-thru is awesome.  Being met at autocrosses with people holding one hand a foot higher than the other saying "YOUR WHEEL WAS THIS FAR OFF THE GROUND!!!!@1" is awesome.  But there are far better ways of making it handle better.

Teh Volvo: "I make no pretenses, I will modify the berk out of this thing."

Three years later:  Manual boost controller (to bring it up to stock boost levels after factory boost solenoid died), center muffler delete (only two left in the system), adjustable rear shocks, and... er.... um...

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/8/17 7:58 p.m.

The only air cooled anything I've owned was a motorcycle, never owned an air cooled car.

Never owned a flat (opposed) cylinder car.

Never owned a muscle car.

Only V8 I've owned was in a pickup truck. No V8 cars.

Nothing turbo.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
11/8/17 8:02 p.m.

Any vehicle with more than 4 cylinders.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/8/17 8:05 p.m.
wae said:
Knurled. said:
wae said:

Um.... GSL-SE?

Wow.  How did I manage to forget about that?

I will assume that it's a complete lack of rallycross to keep your mind sharp and focused.

(I don't know, honestly, if Mazda ever made any four seater GSL-SEs, but given that it seems that most rear seat FBs that came to North America went to Canada, it was safe to assume that yours wasn't one of them)

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/9/17 6:17 a.m.
DeadSkunk said:

Never owned a pickup truck, or a V8.

Weirdo....what wrong with you?!?! 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/9/17 8:53 a.m.

A Miata (though I did many years with Fiat 124s. Does that count?)

Anything with a turbo.

A lowered truck. Which is good, because they are stupid. Trucks are for hauling/towing.

A V8 car. Only ever had it in trucks.

A French car. I remain proud of this fact.

In motorcycles, a Harley. And oddly, a Yamaha. Every other Japanese brand though.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/9/17 10:07 a.m.
wheels777 said:
DeadSkunk said:

Never owned a pickup truck, or a V8.

Weirdo....what wrong with you?!?! 

I know, right? I've got  British, Japanese, German and American cars with V8s in the garage RIGHT NOW. Four different brands of V8 in five different brands of cars.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
11/9/17 10:34 a.m.

Some of you lead sad, meaningless lives! cheeky  Branch out, step up to the buffet! 

I should add to mine no Soviet bloc cars nor any 3 wheeled cars.  My buffet plate evidently is not full either.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
11/9/17 11:28 a.m.

I was going to say that I'm over 40 and have never owned a NEW car, but that was rectified about 3000 miles ago.

So uh, yea, I've never owned a Miata.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
11/9/17 1:05 p.m.

Never owned anything with a v8. 

I did have a v8 engine, but it only came as a trade deal and was since sold. 

Hal
Hal UltraDork
11/9/17 5:44 p.m.

Never owned a German car.  American, British, Italian, French and Japanese: Yes

Never owned a Miata.  Alfa Romeo 1600 Gulia, MGA, MG Midget: Yes

Never owned a Turbocharged car.  Supercharged: Yes

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
11/9/17 6:34 p.m.

Miata, Renault, anything built before 1958

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
11/9/17 6:47 p.m.

A 4 door sedan. Until maybe 3 or 4 years ago, an automatic-this one was in a truck. I believe someday, the gout/hip will thank me.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9iPQA08tjBJj3ruj3PwOMxMNADmYfMqSND58h28iUDNFQcD4TpUPHE8DdvpIcBo5